Fasting for weight control, and so much more WOW!

Options

Replies

• Fivefootcaloriecounter
    Fivefootcaloriecounter Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Did my first fast this week
  • grumpygit1962
    grumpygit1962 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    elphie754 wrote: »
    I thought we weren't allowed to promote unsafe weight loss techniques? (Yes, a 5 day fast I would consider unsafe, especially while training).

Elaborate, and who mentioned 5 day fasting?
  • grumpygit1962
    Options
    Did my first fast this week

Tell me how you got on, love hearing these stories.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    King_Spicy wrote: »
    I wish people would also stop using the term "water fasting." Noone calls it that. It's just fasting. People still drink water during a normal fast in any country that I've ever been in (which include a *kitten* ton of muslim countries)

Yeah, I find that odd. (Muslim fasting aside because of stanman's point, IME I've always consumed water at will when fasting and just called it, well, fasting.)

I also find it odd when people seem to equate eating in a 6 or 8 hour window (which can happen if you just skip breakfast or eat breakfast late and dinner early) with multiple days with no food.

I don't think a full day fast is a big thing (I've done it several times), although I doubt it has any weight loss benefits since you'd have to do it regularly enough to have it be the basis for your weekly deficit, and I find the idea that a 3 day fast would be compatible with tri training difficult to understand, it wouldn't be for me, I was hungry all the time when tri training and find exercising hard after a full day of not eating at all not particularly workable. But it definitely seems to have hit the media as a thing and thus all the MFP posts.

I'm interested in reading more, though; why not.
  • lemurcat12
    edited July 2017
    Options
    I was also surprised I was able to exercise. Which I'd never imagined to do. The fast was from 1:10 to latest 21:40 and no food or water or anything entering the mouth.

I'd find it really hard to do any kind of hard exercise without water (so not saying this isn't hard), but that one can workout without eating before 9:40 pm or so doesn't seem like the same thing to me as not eating for 3 days and then working out.

I do a full day fast on a few days (Good Friday, Ash Wednesday, mostly), meaning that I don't eat that day at all, and I worked out those days, although it wasn't the hardest possible workout, and didn't find it a big deal. But I knew I'd be eating the next morning. I often run before eating in the morning, but after those days I did not, I would have had some kind of snack or light breakfast before running.

Eh, not saying it's the end of the world if one wants to skip eating for 3 days and then go running, but I don't get why there seems to be this trend of deciding it does magical things.
  • lemurcat12
    edited July 2017
    Options
    elphie754 wrote: »
    I thought we weren't allowed to promote unsafe weight loss techniques? (Yes, a 5 day fast I would consider unsafe, especially while training).

Elaborate, and who mentioned 5 day fasting?

Not directed to me, but it was sabern, or at least that's how I read that post.
  • jennybearlv
    jennybearlv Posts: 1,519 Member
    Options
    You sleeping alright, OP?
  • lemurcat12
    Options
    There are so many different types of fasting, but clearly calorie restriction (600 a day for men, 500 for women) has many studies behind it and a proven track record for weight loss and weight maintenance. I do 5:2 using homemade vegetable juices on my fast days (rebootwithjoe "mean green" being my staple).

Do you worry about protein at all? I've thought about doing 5:2, but assumed the 500 cal would have to be primarily protein in order not to be quite low overall.
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
    Options
    Gah. My blood sugar would crash in 6 to 8 hours.
  • Mummytofitmummy
    Mummytofitmummy Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »

Eh, not saying it's the end of the world if one wants to skip eating for 3 days and then go running, but I don't get why there seems to be this trend of deciding it does magical things.

Definitely wouldn't go three days without eating. I wouldn't encourage that and I'm with you there.
  • sweetheartblue17
    sweetheartblue17 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    sabern wrote: »
    Has anyone else had any experience with fasting. When I was a younger man and in the Forces I had it forced upon me once or twice(few dozen times), but nothing I ever intentionally set out to do.

Right now my triathlon training is going just great, though a little behind with the swimming, and my diet is so healthy. But there is one problem, my appetite is huge with the training and I was really struggling to loose the 10 lb to get me close to the perfect weight for me.

About a month ago ish I typical me fashion jumped into a 3 day water fast out of nowhere, just did it and even considered a longer period while doing it. After 30 hours things were happening and even not happening which I expected, ie being able to train quite well.

I was reading everything I could online during and after the fast, ordered a book by Mike Mosley BBC 5 2 Fast fame. When I broke the fast I was left with a thousand questions, nearly all good stuff along with the fact that I found it not as hard as I imagined, but a little tough at times. And though fasting can help with weight control there was so so much more it offers, I felt it after just this one try.

I have gone on to have more one and two day fasts and begin another on Sunday night for 48 hours, I feel like I have discoved a magic pill, what this in such a short space of time has given back is incredible, too long to list here, but mind, cleansing, HGH jump, attitude to food, energy, just too much to go on, there is even a spiritual element to consider and that's coming from someone like me, a non believer. Oh, and I took off 5 of those 10lbs off with a feeling that I have the next 5 lb cracked.

Like I said I have a fast coming again in a few days, I am not dreading it, part of me is again looking forward to it and cannot wait.

I even found myself grilling a muslim Taxi driver yesterday about Ramadan, and I actually impressed him with my 3 day water fast with a 55 cycle ride and swim next day

Has anyone else any experiences with fasting?

yes I have fasted for 5 days over the years and found it to work great.. I am presently on a 16 hour intermittent fast with a 8 hour eating period. also the Chiro Thin diet works this way with drops to help decrease food cravings.

What does fasting do to your body? Is it only maintaining or can u lose weight healthy?
  • kokonani
    kokonani Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    I fast 23 hours, eat one meal one hour. Loving it so far! Switched from keto and it amazes me how I feel and am overall so happy with what and how much I get to eat!
  • grumpygit1962
    Options
    sak20011 wrote: »
    Is there such a thing as wine fasting?

Yeah, and it will give you a blinding headache :-)
This discussion has been closed.