Professional Culinary Chef would like some feedback on food

Options
2»

Replies

• HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    I don't think there's any way to retrieve someone's recipe using the recipe function -- even though it asks you if you want to share it. If I'm wrong, I'd love to have someone show me how to do it. There is a group called Recipe Swap but it operates like any other forum in that there's no recipe input template.
  • ourenchantedcottage
    ourenchantedcottage Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Maybe we can all put our heads together and come up with an idea. It think it would be cool to share ideas
  • DamieBird
    DamieBird Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    newmeadow wrote: »
    Maybe we can all put our heads together and come up with an idea. It think it would be cool to share ideas

We have. Now you tell us something. What are you going to cook for us?

I'm game for a chef's choice dinner!
  • jennybearlv
    jennybearlv Posts: 1,519 Member
    Options
    I like quality rather than quantity. I also love traditional foods. I never know what to expect at these weird hipster places we have in abundance around here. I'm usually surprised by my dish and not in a good way.
  • Sp1tfire
    Sp1tfire Posts: 1,120 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    I (and many others, check out the Volume Eaters thread) enjoy meals with generous portions and lower calories. Whether that means 'lightening up' a traditional food or simply making it veggie centric, I like to eat volume to feel satisfied. The true flavor should come from the spices anyway in my opinion.
  • ourenchantedcottage
    Options
    newmeadow wrote: »

We have. Now you tell us something. What are you going to cook for us?

I have two dressings started now, as I love different types of salad. One has an Asian flavor, and the other has a tradition but spicy flavor. They both should be listed by Monday with the nutritional facts.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,440 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    I'm looking for carbs. Seriously, I love carbs. Besides, I cannot digest fats well. What I'm looking for in food is: easy recipes with not too many but easy to obtain fresh ingredients, and a short prep and cooking time with not too many pots and pans. I'm very much into convenience cooking you see but I don't eat convenience food. And those meals need to be filling as it's my main meal of the day. Around 500-600kcal, good amount of fresh veggies with some protein and fat.
  • skymningen
    skymningen Posts: 532 Member
    Options
    I am not looking for specific healthy foods or "superfood". My single problem with many standard recipes is that the proportions are not right. Too little fiber, too little protein in comparison to too much fat and often too many carbs, but carbs I feel are the easies to reduce using my instinct. Often, when I try to rebalance them they either don't turn out right or are not filling enough any more.
  • sophie9492015
    sophie9492015 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    I want a large portion but low calories!
    Lots of vegies and not really keen on vegetarian but low fat and low calorie meat is good... oh and tasty of course!
  • ourenchantedcottage
    Options
    Where do you intend to share the recipes. As far as I know there's no way to share recipes on MFP no matter what the site says. It doesn't work and has been promised as coming soon for the several years I've belonged to the site. Did I miss something?

I am having trouble sharing my recipes. I thought when I put them in the recipe section that they were there for everyone. I seem to be having trouble getting everything to be seen.
  • KristyDonovan
    KristyDonovan Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I am also a chef! Flavor is paramount to me. I am also vegetarian. I love wonderful stocks, properly cooked veggies, mixed textures, and big flavor punches. Vietnamese and Indian foods are my staples. Good luck!
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I'm typically looking for a good balance of carbs, protein, fat, and fiber... so typically some protein (light sauce is great), nicely seasoned veggies, and some kind of starch. And under 600 calories.

I guess it would definitely be a challenge for a chef to learn to season things to make them tasty without using too much oil or butter.
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    Where do you intend to share the recipes. As far as I know there's no way to share recipes on MFP no matter what the site says. It doesn't work and has been promised as coming soon for the several years I've belonged to the site. Did I miss something?

I am having trouble sharing my recipes. I thought when I put them in the recipe section that they were there for everyone. I seem to be having trouble getting everything to be seen.

And therein lies the problem. Recipes input into MFP cannot be shared, searched, or otherwised used. The promise to make this function available soon has been on the site for the several years I have belonged and paid for premium services. The function seems no closer to being available.

One cannot even search one's own recipes to reuse them. I have thirteen pages of recipes entered and the only way I can reuse one is by going through the thirteen pages until I find the one I am lookign for. This is not a functional recipe site.

I put my recipes in JustaPinch.com. Since I am not selling my recipes and JustaPinch doesn't charge you to look at them, I do not think I am violating the MFP rules in any way. I reread the guidelines when someone said I couldn't point to my external recipes but I have a different interpretation of the limits specified.

Here is the relevant text from the guidelines:
    "You may not post any links or mentions of other services, websites, or businesses from which you or an associate might benefit financially or otherwise. This includes, but is not limited to; posts that contain links to offsite blog posts and social media. You also may not solicit off-Forum contact from which you might benefit, e.g. "message me for more info", “I can get you free samples”, etc."

Since I am only sharing a recipe for others to use if they chose and I have no stake financial or otherwise whether you look at those recipes, I feel I am not violating the guidelines. Maybe if the MFP recipes sharing function actually worked, I might be violating the stricture against posts that advertise competitors. Since I've belonged to MFP for several years and they are no closer to sharing recipes than they ever were, I'm just assuming that I need to go elsewhere for recipe support.

• ourenchantedcottage
    Options
    I am also a chef! Flavor is paramount to me. I am also vegetarian. I love wonderful stocks, properly cooked veggies, mixed textures, and big flavor punches. Vietnamese and Indian foods are my staples. Good luck!

Wow, another Foodie. I have also been a Vegetarian on and off for years. After the butchering class, when I was younger, that definitely pushed me towards being a Vegetarian. Though with a family of meat eaters, and they are adamant about that, I found it hard to be a vegetarian 100% of the time. Though there are some meats I won't cook or have in the house no matter what.
    Are you working? I am in the midst of developing flavor intense dishes that are easy for the everyday person to do after work and also a expanding a dessert line I had with my restaurant. The difference with these recipes is that they work first time out. There will be options for changing the ingredients, making you (the person doing the cooking) a chef. But most of all, as my colleagues concur there will be no food network fables, nothing can discourage a budding chef than a dish that does not meet their expectations. I am not looking to make any money on that project, just really happy people. I was blessed with my restaurant and would like to pay it forward.
    The dessert line is going toward authentic European desserts with a new twist, not American knock offs. Which is good for high-end restaurants, that don't want the hassle of hiring a full-time pastry chef.
    I was so looking forward just to share some of my recipes to get a feedback on what people thought, but it seems, I am unable to figure out how to get people to see them on this platform. I guess I am back to just handling the recipes the usual way. I think you get a better feedback from strangers.
    Hope to hear from you soon.
    Buon Appetito
  • Meganthedogmom
    Meganthedogmom Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    I tend to gravitate toward high-protein meals with tons of veggies and lots of flavor. I love a large volume of food for little calories.
  • beaglady
    beaglady Posts: 1,362 Member
    Options
    Recipes can be posted and shared in the Recipe section. http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/categories/recipes Each person would have to add them to their own recipe builder to compute the calories and nutrients, however.

CIA graduate here, but I bailed on the restaurant business years ago. I love to cook, but got sick of working every weekend and smelling like shrimp when I was done for the day.
  • npane
    npane Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Looks like you can post recipes to share with others under Main Forums- Recipes? Is that correct? I just started this app about a week ago so I am still trying to figure out how to use it :) I had been using Lose It because it was introduced to us at work but I am finding MFP to be easier to use and can sync info from MapMyFitness directly to this app.
  • ourenchantedcottage
    Options
    beaglady wrote: »
    Recipes can be posted and shared in the Recipe section. http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/categories/recipes Each person would have to add them to their own recipe builder to compute the calories and nutrients, however.

CIA graduate here, but I bailed on the restaurant business years ago. I love to cook, but got sick of working every weekend and smelling like shrimp when I was done for the day.

I know the feeling about the work hours. To me after I opened my own restaurant, I was like, what was I thinking. LOL That and a few other choice words. I also remember coming home from work, so tired that I could hardly get my shoes off and my family telling me, OMG, you smell like a kitchen. I wanted to say, "NO *kitten*, like those 150.00 sneakers?".
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    I cook for 3 people every day with different calorie needs.
    I have found that there are many recipes out there already that fit my daily goals and are tasty and normal for everyone. It is just getting the right portion size for me. I generally have 500 calories set aside for dinner and a lot of recipes are around that.

What I might actually struggle with is interesting low calorie vegetable side dishes. I default to simple salad, broccoli or green beans.