It takes a month, right?

Options
Current weght 187
Week 2 of vigorous stationary bike workouts. (19-23mph) I sweat so much!
First week I burned 300-400
Second week 400-600
Both within 30-45mins.
I told myself I wouldn't weigh myself every week because I'd stress myself out, but I have, just didn't mark it. I eat within the recommended range 1200, 1500+ if working out, drink lots of water, warm up, don't eat anything or just some almonds after the work out.
Anyway, I'm not seeing any notable results & I'm becoming discouraged.
Am I being impatient?

Replies

• neldabg
    neldabg Posts: 1,452 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    Are you taking pictures? If not, you don't know for sure that you haven't changed noticeably. I don't think I saw any really noticeable results until after 2-3 months. At the start, I *felt* the changes, and the scale told me I'd lost weight. Once I compared progress pictures and measurements and started needing new clothes, then I knew/saw that I was changing. We're all different; weight loss will show eventually.
  • L0Lnikki
    L0Lnikki Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    neldabg wrote: »
    Are you taking pictures? If not, you don't know for sure that you haven't changed noticeably. I don't think I saw any really noticeable results until after 2-3 months. At the start, I *felt* the changes, and the scale told me I'd lost weight. Once I compared progress pictures and measurements and started needing new clothes, then I knew/saw that I was changing. We're all different; weight loss will show eventually.

Hi, thank you for your reply. Yes, I thought maybe my waist had changed a bit. I shrugged it off as being optimistic. Everyone says it'll take, as you said, a couple months before progress is shown. Impatient me! I'm going to take measurements weekly to feel better.
  • VelociFit
    VelociFit Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    You could take measurements, but only about once a month, since that change takes time.

Have you ever seen one of those models of what 1lb of fat looks like? It's a good chunk when you heft a model like that in your hand, bigger than a coffee mug, but if you imagine that spread out all over your entire body, it would be basically impossible to visibly tell a difference with a couple pounds.

Hang in there, and keep at it! Even a month is short-term for this sort of "project." Good luck!
  • KesaKesa
    KesaKesa Posts: 3 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    It's also important to point out that stationary bikes are not accurate in providing calories burned. It is common for the machines to overestimate how much work you have done in calories and what you are currently doing in terms of riding speed. It is quite possible you are not using as many calories as you think you are. I would take the cals burned figures with a pinch of salt.
  • chelllsea124
    chelllsea124 Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    Two weeks in.......................................................... um YES, you're being insanely impatient. This crap doesn't just fall off overnight!!!
  • DebLaBounty
    DebLaBounty Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    I didn't notice a visible difference for about six weeks. But I'd lost an inch off my waist, and my clothes fit better. So be more patient. If you think you're really not making progress, you could eat back just half of your exercise earned calories and see how you feel.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    its been two weeks! you are being impatient. also, sweat is not an indicator of fat loss if that is what you were thinking?? are you weighing all your food to be sure of your intake??

This ^. You've also been doing only cardio so unlikely you will see much body shape change. Some resistance training will help for that. But, it's only been 2 week!!! How long did it take you to get to your current weight? When was the last time, before 2 weeks ago, you did any exercise program? If you expect to see change this quickly, your expectations are completely unrealistic.
  • VeggieBarbells
    VeggieBarbells Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Estimate the time it took to put the weight on and you'll be closer to something realistic. Take pictures, take measurements and judge whether your clothes fit any different. @chelseahatch24 is on point. Good luck :)
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Why do you think you should see changes in 2 weeks? It took some of us years to reach our goals!
    Weight fluctuates up and down every day. If you are weighing only once a week, you could be catching only the up days. Plus, what time of month is it for you? That makes a huge difference in water weight.
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,590 Member
    Options
    Two things: Make sure you are weighing food to get an accurate calorie measurement, and know that beginning a workout regimen causes your muscles to retain water and glucose. That water has weight to it.
  • MilesAddie
    MilesAddie Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    It took me 6 weeks before I saw any changes on the scale - then all of the sudden the weight starting to come off in chunks.
  • L0Lnikki
    Options
    rnken wrote: »
    You may be gaining lean muscle which is why you're not seeing the scale drop as quickly as you would like. Two weeks is a pretty short time so just keep at it. Also, make sure you're accounting for liquid calories because many people overlook them.

Indeed. My legs feel stronger than before, especially the thighs
  • L0Lnikki
    Options
    gothchiq wrote: »
    Two things: Make sure you are weighing food to get an accurate calorie measurement, and know that beginning a workout regimen causes your muscles to retain water and glucose. That water has weight to it.

I'm going to be purchasing a scale next month. Until then, I use measuring cup based on the serving sizes on the nutritional box. If I can't figure it out, I put it back down!