Do you think Certain foods affect weight loss?

Options
reatk
reatk Posts: 11 Member
Hi all,

I'm looking for people's opinions here, in particular bread? Now we hear all the different info on tv and such, in the past when I've done slimming world, to cut out bread- one of the demon foods, I'm trying to stick to calories on here but worry when I have say some toast in a morning if I fancy, that by having bread I'm restricting my weight loss? I think I know the answer I'm going to get but it takes changing my frame of mind that this will work just count the calories and you will lose!

Replies

• mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    Nope.
  • reatk
    Options
    Thank you, see I knew deep down this was true, I'm just so used to hearing oh you need to cut bread and feel sooo guilty having any.
  • reatk
    Options
    I have to only eat bread when I eat out.

If I had it at home I'd eat a full tiger loaf smothered in butter.

It's not because it is bread it is just that I over eat that particular food so I choose to not keep it at home.

Yea there are certain foods, like any chocolate or sweet stuff I just can't have in the house, I will eat it ALL
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    I eat bread pretty much every single day for breakfast whether I am gaining, maintaining or losing.
  • JaydedMiss
    JaydedMiss Posts: 4,286 Member
    Options
    No, Though i do think foods can mask weight loss, Even healthy ones. Like obviously salt can make you retain water, But your still losing its just not as visible yet.

Having that issue with eggs right now not sure why iv been in a huge defecit ( unhealthily so almost im satisfied but prepping for my bday week binge XD ) And eating alot more eggs and my weight range went up 5 pounds. Food is weird lol
  • Nicholas_39
    Nicholas_39 Posts: 36 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    No, specific foods have no effect on weight loss, including bread. Calories are the only thing you should be concerned with when it comes to weight loss. Although, you still want to eat good food because of your health, satiety, etc.

But from a weight loss point of view, only calories in and calories out matter.

If you need extra reassuring, have a look at this thread by a fellow MFPer, who lost 32 lbs eating "almost nothing but junk besides a daily apple or some other fruit". The amount of weight he lost was predicted by his calorie intake to a pound.

The thread in question.
  • InkAndApples
    InkAndApples Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    I don't get the OMG BREAD! thing, but maybe that's because I've never restricted it?

No specific type of food (or booze) has hampered my progress so far, although I am only 2st down.
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
    As long as you are weighing and logging your food (yes, even bread!) accurately and completely and are, therefore, remaining in the caloric deficit needed for continued weight loss, you *will* continue to lose weight.

It really is that simple. :)
  • AmyOutOfControl
    AmyOutOfControl Posts: 1,425 Member
    Options
    Alcohol hinders my weight loss. However, this is only because I eat ALL THE THINGS after one or two drinks. ;)
  • 150poundsofme
    150poundsofme Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    For me to lose weight, I need to cut out most of the bread (and also cannot keep butter in the house). I do not abuse protein, veggies or fruit. That's just me.
  • robertw486
    robertw486 Posts: 2,388 Member
    Options
    Energy balance controls weight loss. For some (if not many) people the types of food they eat control hunger or lack of, eating patters, water retention, and a host of other things that energy balance.