What do you do when you feel discipline slipping

Options
2»

Replies

• fiddletime
    fiddletime Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    When I'm crashing, stuck, not interested, I aim for maintenance because for too many years I've bounced up in weight, and my goal is to not do that anymore. I'm currently in maintenance after losing half my intended weight. I've been here for 4 months. That's OK because I haven't gained so the next thing is to pat myself on the back, put in a little more effort to this process, and start losing again.

But, it isn't a race and I weigh less than I did last year. My main goal was to "master maintenance" this time around and I'm starting to get that it's up 3 pounds and down 3. It's not "I made it so now I can stop logging and go back to lousy eating habits", which I've done twice before on mfp.
  • cmo246
    cmo246 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I took a month off. After tracking with a deficit for 11 months I just needed a mental break so I tried maintence for a month to see how it would go. I was able to maintain for the month with no issues and am now back at it this week. I am glad I took the break, seems to have worked well on my motivation.
  • timtam163
    timtam163 Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    Taking a step back and then saying, "okay, what healthy habit can I try to pick up?" Slip-ups happen, sometimes you need a break from thinking about food, but when I try to shift the focus to self-care instead of self-deprivation it gets easier to stick with things and maintain self-compassion. My life has been really stressful always (overachiever in the 5th year of my degree at an elite institution) but I'm aiming to stop using that as an excuse to mistreat my body. Sometimes I think I deserve the punishment of being unhealthy, which is obviously not a healthy or productive mindset to be in; so that's what I think about when I feel myself slipping.
  • Neurotic22
    Neurotic22 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I will possibly give myself a night "off" and eat some nice dinner and a yummy dessert or something...

WHILE 1)having a thorough look at diary to see if my meals are becoming same/boring, or if I have been eating less protein/fat/carbs than usual -if it's my food that's got me down.

2)If I am just in general feeling low I will think about whether I would rather have been eating "yummy" foods and indulging my usual habits instead during the X weeks I have been dieting...and remain at the weight I started at.

So far every time the answer has been no and I feel a lot better full of custard or whatever treat I chose, going back to my diet the next day.
  • joolie1234
    joolie1234 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I definitely agree with mixing it up (food or exercise-wise) - it's so easy to get in a rut. And also with setting new goals. Instead of saying "I want to lose 5 pounds by next weekend," say "I'm going to exercise for 30 minutes 4 times this week" or "I'm going to lift weights at least twice this week." Helps with healthy habits and feeling successful!
  • shanteel612
    shanteel612 Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    @evergreenlake I checked out gauge girl fitness on youtube. It was awesome, thanks.
  • InkAndApples
    InkAndApples Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    I tell myself "well I'll just finish this one day" - by the time the day is done, and I'm still on track the urge has usually left me.

Like right now. At the start of summer break, this morning I was all set to switch to maintenance for the next few weeks, maybe to over eat a bit..

Now it's bed time and I've done fine, I can keep going.
  • shanteel612
    shanteel612 Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    @lorrpb You look awesome
  • TnZMom
    TnZMom Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    Put off what I want til later. Then after a day or two passes,either I don't want it anymore, or life is telling me go ahead and enjoy myself. Applies to food, spending money, dying my hair purple.

Someone once said, "If you can wait, you can do anything."

Specific to weight loss, I weigh myself every day.
  • clicketykeys
    clicketykeys Posts: 6,568 Member
    Options
    Baby steps. When I don't want to do something, I give myself permission to do just a little bit. That almost always gets me going enough that I can keep it up. Sometimes it doesn't, and that's ok too. Even a little bit is still more than nothing!