Help

Options
Trying hard to lose weight I've managed to lose then following week it's back on I've had a stroke 4 weeks ago really need to lose I'm 100kg (I'm large top) I have 4 kids so I'm quite energetic at times looking for ideas etc I've started to change my diet

Replies

• ferrox22
    ferrox22 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Hi Jenny, well you've made a start by joining MFP, I can understand it being hard with four children to look after and to cook for. I found the calorie counting and recording it a fantastic aid to my weight loss. Buy yourself a small set of scales to weigh your food and ingredients. Most of all I would suggest only making small changes at a time to your diet, then it won't be such a shock to your system. Also if you can get time to start exercising & recording it, I started just walking a couple of km a evening, now I'm also cycling and use a gym !! Theres an app, MapMyWalk which links to MFP and will deduct the calories burnt from your suggested allowance.
    Sure you will get lots of help on here and from your own GP, good luck on your journey, remember you're doing it for the most important person, that's you and for your family x
  • seska422
    seska422 Posts: 3,217 Member
    Options
    Weight loss isn't linear. It's normal for weight to vary. Track your weight over the long term and look for a downward trend over time. Here's a trend for me over 3 months where I was at or below my calorie goal every day:

lbw306dhncrh.jpg

Here's a chart with some good general advice:

n0if6mxw5dwt.jpg
  • jennid41mfp
    jennid41mfp Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Thank you
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Don't try hard. Weight management is simple, but not necessarily easy. There is no cheating the system, but there are ways to make thing easier. Weightloss comes from a sustained calorie deficit, so both eating less and doing it consistently, is crucial. In order to make that possible, you must set realistic goals and make an effective plan. The optimal weightloss plan is maximum results from minimal effort.

MFP gives you a calorie goal to hit, after you have entered your stats and desired rate of loss. Set weekly rate of loss to 1% of your body weight. You will have to go to setup several times as you lose weight, because 1% of your body weight is less when you weigh less, and your calorie need decreases as you lose weight, so your calorie goal will also change a bit, and you need to stick to a calorie deficit in order to continue losing.

Then do whatever you have to do to hit your calorie goal every day +/-50. Eat food you like, but adjust portions to fit your calorie need better. Seeing how different foods impact your daily intake, energy levels and mood, will help you learn how to make priorites. Prelogging is smart. You also need a food scale, and to pick entries in the food database that have the same nutritional values as the food you are eating, and to log everything that goes into your mouth that has calories, in the exact amounts that you eat (or drink).
  • Bluetail6
    Bluetail6 Posts: 2,920 Member
    Options
    Don't try hard. Weight management is simple, but not necessarily easy. There is no cheating the system, but there are ways to make thing easier. Weightloss comes from a sustained calorie deficit, so both eating less and doing it consistently, is crucial. In order to make that possible, you must set realistic goals and make an effective plan. The optimal weightloss plan is maximum results from minimal effort.

MFP gives you a calorie goal to hit, after you have entered your stats and desired rate of loss. Set weekly rate of loss to 1% of your body weight. You will have to go to setup several times as you lose weight, because 1% of your body weight is less when you weigh less, and your calorie need decreases as you lose weight, so your calorie goal will also change a bit, and you need to stick to a calorie deficit in order to continue losing.

Then do whatever you have to do to hit your calorie goal every day +/-50. Eat food you like, but adjust portions to fit your calorie need better. Seeing how different foods impact your daily intake, energy levels and mood, will help you learn how to make priorites. Prelogging is smart. You also need a food scale, and to pick entries in the food database that have the same nutritional values as the food you are eating, and to log everything that goes into your mouth that has calories, in the exact amounts that you eat (or drink).

I just wanted to say I think this is excellent advice. Good luck to you :).