Walking help

Options
pkdragok
pkdragok Posts: 181 Member
Quicker pace or longer distances I'm trying to do 800 cal per day burn9lchrodn0b6z.png

Replies

• TilKingdomCome
    TilKingdomCome Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    From my experience (I walk a lot) I would say both. Aim for another couple of km, maybe a 1 hr walk at a slightly quicker pace. At least a pace that you have to work for. This should give you about 10000 steps but maybe not all your calories.

I would also aim to do another exercise for a shorter period, even just 15 mins, that interests you whether that be strength training, riding your bike or a short run. That then should give you your 800 calories all up.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,968 Member
    Options
    Walking calories ~= 1/3 body weight in pounds per mile.

So if your goal is to burn calories, go for distance.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    Up to a point, distance is the best way to burn more calories. If you are able to go a distance at 4mph or faster, the balance starts to shift a bit towards speed.

If you really want to do a fast calorie burn, start swimming. Not only does it take a lot of energy to pull your body through water, it is one of the few exercises that uses all the major muscle groups.
  • pkdragok
    Options
    Ok will add swimming 2 days a week on top of this and aim for 5 mile walk a day that combines all 3 of your collective voices thanks guys :)

I should mention there are running bursts added in their too I don't know if that's relevant
  • WickAndArtoo
    WickAndArtoo Posts: 773 Member
    Options
    pkdragok wrote: »
    Ok will add swimming 2 days a week on top of this and aim for 5 mile walk a day that combines all 3 of your collective voices thanks guys :)

I should mention there are running bursts added in their too I don't know if that's relevant

From what I have read, running bursts are VERY GOOD and very relevant. Also if you aren't already, try to walk/run at an incline, this will increase your calorie burn. Mixing in sprints/incline/distance with your walking will all increase it.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,517 Member
    Options

Yep, this one. Or if this is too complicated for you use bodyweight(lbs) * distance(miles) * 0.3
    Same equation, maybe easier to use. Use the multiplyer 0.68 for running btw.
  • pkdragok
    Options
    yirara wrote: »

Yep, this one. Or if this is too complicated for you use bodyweight(lbs) * distance(miles) * 0.3

If doing short bursts how do I calculate? Just do it as walking?
  • sophie9492015
    sophie9492015 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    So do you think the calorie burn on map my walk is accurate? Really want to make sure
  • yirara
    Options

Burst of what? Of faster walking? Yes, look at the equation: The only variables are distance and weight. There is a very minor influence on speed in general, but it's fairly minor. Thus it doesn't matter if you walk fast or slow. If you just do little 50m runs every now and then I would not bother about them at all but just continue logging as walking. If you run about 50% of your workout then I would probably start logging it as half running and half walking.
  • yirara
    Options
    So do you think the calorie burn on map my walk is accurate? Really want to make sure

How many miles are you walking for the sake of walking? Multiply by your weight in pounds and by 0.3. Then you know how correct or off this is.
  • pkdragok
    Options

Burst of what? Of faster walking? Yes, look at the equation: The only variables are distance and weight. There is a very minor influence on speed in general, but it's fairly minor. Thus it doesn't matter if you walk fast or slow. If you just do little 50m runs every now and then I would not bother about them at all but just continue logging as walking. If you run about 50% of your workout then I would probably start logging it as half running and half walking.

I use it as a rough guide.. same as this app.
  • pkdragok
    Options

How many miles are you walking for the sake of walking? Multiply by your weight in pounds and by 0.3. Then you know how correct or off this is.

Average 3.5 miles with bursts of sprints 45 - 60 seconds
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options

I have found it to be a tiny bit inflated. When I use it, I eat back only 75% of the calories earned. It is better than MFP's database and runs pretty close to my Garmin Vivofit, just a little higher.
  • WakkoW
    WakkoW Posts: 567 Member
    Options

http://www.runnersworld.com/peak-performance/running-v-walking-how-many-calories-will-you-burn

I would just use the calculation for walking. The calorie count on your display is overinflated.

Short running bursts will improve your fitness overall and get you to the point where you can consider running, but will not have a large impact on calorie burn.
  • TinaSpinQueen
    TinaSpinQueen Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Nice thread here. I too walk tons, not a good runner (tall & gawky... ok, ok, uncoordinated!). Never quite figured out of Map My Walk/Fitness app was correct or not. So its weight x 0.3 equals what now? Calories per mile? I think that sounds about right...
    Feel free to add me btw
  • pkdragok
    Options
    I know it's not a huge deal to some guys but I ran my first 1 mile in under 10 mins today!!! Thanks for all the help

1st Mile: 9:57 (6mph)
    2nd mile: 13:47 (4.3mph)

23:52 total... so again thank you so much!