Fasting for weight control, and so much more WOW!

Options

Replies

• getnickripped
    getnickripped Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    I do daily intermittent fasting. Not too strict. I just go 18-20 hours since I last ate. Finished last night around 830pm so today Ill eat at 230 pm and finish hopefully by 730 pm. Ill take in around 2400 cals and it maintains my weight. I feel great and havent been this cut since my 20's.

I find when Im in a rut if I compress the time frame to 4 hour eating windows, it works best for me. I can take in 1800 cals, feel stuffed and be 600 cals under my daily target.

Coffee, water and keeping busy gets me thru the fasting period.
  • joycooke2017
    joycooke2017 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    It's ironic you experienced a more spiritual aspect during your fast. Fasting is a spiritual act to honor God, not a weight loss technique. Great and good if you lose any weight, but your goal should be long term, as in meaning ... can you maintain what you achieved? If not, you might rethink your approach and look for ways that you can consistently apply methods to achieve your end result. Gimmicks and diets do not equal lifestyle changes. It's lifestyle changes that will make you successful in reaching and maintaining realistic goals. Best of luck as you reach the finish line and transition to maintenance!
  • clairelizzy1972
    clairelizzy1972 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I do daily intermittent fasting. Not too strict. I just go 18-20 hours since I last ate. Finished last night around 830pm so today Ill eat at 230 pm and finish hopefully by 730 pm. Ill take in around 2400 cals and it maintains my weight. I feel great and havent been this cut since my 20's.

I find when Im in a rut if I compress the time frame to 4 hour eating windows, it works best for me. I can take in 1800 cals, feel stuffed and be 600 cals under my daily target.

Im thinking of doing 16/8 fasting. Coffee is ok during the fast? Im assuming no cream?
  • czmiles926
    czmiles926 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    How do people fast?
    I tried to once but by noon I was terribly hungry and felt weak and shakey and had to eat something.
  • grumpygit1962
    grumpygit1962 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    czmiles926 wrote: »
    How do people fast?
    I tried to once but by noon I was terribly hungry and felt weak and shakey and had to eat something.

Maybe I am one of the luck ones, I love my food and lucky enough to enjoy very healthy food. But I really did not struggle, it was harder for me to have a little rather than nothing.

And once my fast ends, Boy is that mellon good or lentil curry out of this world.
  • getnickripped
    getnickripped Posts: 266 Member
    Options

Im thinking of doing 16/8 fasting. Coffee is ok during the fast? Im assuming no cream?

"They" say if you keep it under 50 total calories you wont break the fast. Dont know if its true but I guess there is a number. If I have 5 calories do I break my fast? 10 calories? So the rule of thumb is 50.

That being said, I do espresso. But if its not time for me to eat yet and I want a coffee I have one with cream. So if i go over 50 cals and break the fast, so be it. I may be losing the benefit of fasting on a cellular level but it allows me to extend the period of not eating, which is the primary reason im doing it. My body reaping some fasting advantages is secondary.
  • feisty_bucket
    feisty_bucket Posts: 1,047 Member
    Options
    OP, check out the specialized groups for Intermittent Fasting on here if you want to follow up. People post these "Anybody heard of fasting?" things every few days and it's always the same responses.

FWIW, I've done 5:2 and 6:1 (maintenance) for almost three years now. From my experiences and reading, I'm very pleased.

Here's a good article about a study which covers a lot of questions raised here, for anyone interested:
    https://suppversity.blogspot.com/2016/09/true-alternate-day-fast-beats-classic.html
  • grumpygit1962
    grumpygit1962 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    earlnabby wrote: »
    skymningen wrote: »
    King_Spicy wrote: »
    I wish people would also stop using the term "water fasting." Noone calls it that. It's just fasting. People still drink water during a normal fast in any country that I've ever been in (which include a *kitten* ton of muslim countries)

I don't think it is to emphasize that they still drink water during fasting, but that they drink nothing else. I have heard of broth fasting, kale soup fasting, fasting with specially mixed herbal teas and so much more. All of those are fasting. Water fasting is just the one with nothing but water.

All of those other things are NOT fasts. Fasting is taking in NO NOURISHMENT for a designated period of time. Water is allowed because it is not nourishing.

I have fasted for religious reasons. Usually a day but once for 3 days. I would never do it for weight loss purposes.

Cannot say I am fasting for religious reasons, but I totally get the spiritual reasoning why people do it, had a great chat with a muslim gut the ither day about fasting.

I am coming around to seeing fasting as a great way to re balance the body mental and physical. I am reading up a lot at the moment on the subject of the increase in HGH, which if done naturally, which it is in this case, has huge health benefits for people, also reading up a lot on insulin while fasting. Which in a rounabout way leads to healthy weight control, not just the shedding of weight during the fast,
This discussion has been closed.