Anyone feel self conscious exercising in public?

Options
13»

Replies

• RunHardBeStrong
    RunHardBeStrong Posts: 33,069 Member
    Options
    I used to be that way. The I started telling myself JFDI (Just Effing Do it) every time I started to talk myself into being a baby. I am a strong, beautiful woman and there is no reason why I shouldn't be proud of my efforts.

And you should feel the same way :)

Awesome atitude! I was self concious at first to but I got over quickly by saying 'eff it and telling myself I'm there for me, NO ONE ELSE!!!
  • rknaynayzzy13
    rknaynayzzy13 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I too just ignore everyone else in the gym. Not exactly ignore, I am friendly and will say hi to others, but I figure, we are ALL there to get sweaty and who wants to look at that? Let this issue roll off your back, you have more important things to put your concentration on. Good Luck!
  • kburns0709
    kburns0709 Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    I have felt this way also, I guess everyone probably does. I go to the gym on campus at my school so all the athletes are in there bench pressing like 400 pounds of whatever and I've got my little fives strugglin'. But after a while you just gotta do you and do whatever you're there to do. It's about you not them.
  • JustBreathSB
    JustBreathSB Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I used to be that way. I live in a small town and go to a small gym too. I often see people I know there. I just keep in mind that I'm there to get healthy. What I do is only my business and nobody elses. I love to listen to music while im at the gym, it helps to tune everything out.

ETA:
    I just went through and read some of the other posts, I feel like I repeated them all almost to a T lol. But yeah, its just something you have to learn to get over. When I go to the gym I don't judge others, the bigger people that are there I think its great that their there taking control of their body. I love the gym, I've even made a few friends there.
  • SMarie1219
    SMarie1219 Posts: 67
    Options
    I run...VERY slowly. I could walk as fast as I run. LOL But I've been told it's the change in gait that's important so I keep at it. I'm getting faster day by day. :) Anyway, whenever I feel embarrassed about how slow I run, I think to myself that no matter how slow I am, I'm faster than the guy on the couch. I'm moving and that's what's important.

I'm joining a gym this week and I am feeling many of the same things you are. But I keep telling myself that I am working out and I am bettering myself. Do you pay attention or judge anyone else when you're there? Probably not. You're focused on yourself. So is everyone else ;) I've never thought a bad thing about anyone at the gym (other than you know the obnoxious people ;) ) so I assume no one is thinking anything bad about me :)

I don't pay attention to the others in the gym unless they are one of those groaning guys they kind of annoy me (my brother is one of them lol) Other than that I do not pay attention and I don't think anyone else is watching me. I go to the gym and am so focused on what I'm doing I don't even notice anyone else. Most people that go to the gym are pushing themselves so they are thinking of themselves and not watching those around them. IMHO
  • Mommawarrior
    Mommawarrior Posts: 897 Member
    Options
    Don't worry about what anyone thinks about you working out at the gym. They are there to workout too and probably aren't even paying attention to you.
  • lannashelley
    Options
    I always take my Mum or my sister with me who are also curvy ladies like me. We end up laughing so much at eachothers red faces and confusion on the machines that we probably loose more calories giggling than we do exercising and we don't even notice everyone else around us.
  • irongirl73
    irongirl73 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Never. If they don't like what they see, then they should look away. Besides, I like to people watch!
  • catwrangler
    catwrangler Posts: 918 Member
    Options
    I wasted the whole first month of my year long membership because I couldn't work up the nerve to go in! Now I love it! I see all kinds of people there, some like me, some older folks, a sweet mentally challenged group comes in on weekends and then there are the muscle men and trainer types. I watch them out of the corner of my eye to see if I can copy their moves :laugh:

seriously, get over it asap because you will love it!
  • RJSuperMan
    RJSuperMan Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    EVERY SINGLE ONE OF US FEEL THE SAME WAY YOU DO. That's our secret. Everyone's looking around or down to either compare or avoid. God bless the USA! I travel a lot, so I'm in a lot very different gyms. If I walk in the Alpha male, I still worry about the females and who's chasing me (hopefully one in the same). ;) If I walk in the weaking, I worry who's trying to dominate and show me up. So how do we all get past it and keep going day in and day out? Look in the mirror. Are you proud you had the courage to show up today? Are you proud you had the courage to stay? And are you proud you had the courage; the disipline; the strength; and the tenacity to give it everything you had, every moment you were there? Now look around. No one's there but you.

(But if you see anyone, take a 10 lb dumbell and just start swingin'!) :D
  • FattyWantADoughnut
    Options
    I feel self concious every time I leave the house. I bought an exercise bike and exercise DVDs so I dont have to face the shame of public scrutiny.
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    I go to the gym all the time.. and i'm totally cool as a cucumber when I'm on the treadmill/elliptical. Stick me in the weight section by myself and I'm like a fish outta water.. even tho I have been working with a trainer since January and clearly know how to work the machines and what exercises I need to do.

I honestly find that an Ipod and some headphones do wonders.. as does an empty workout studio where I can lug my dumbbells and medicine ball into and just do my thing without what feels like the whole world watching.