Plateau for 2 weeks now :/

bruby28
bruby28 Posts: 4,123 Member
So I've been working out consistently since January and have lost 30 lbs so far . I still have about 30 more to loose . Just recently the last 2 weeks the scale hasn't budged . I'm glad I haven't gained , but still little discouraging . I log everything into mfp as accurately as possible and have a calorie goal of 1350 . I workout 2 to 3 hours a day , half cardio such as stair master , jogging or stationary bike with resistance . Other half of workout I lift high reps, light weight . Sometimes I eat half of my exercise calories back if I absolutely need to and feel I néed that extra fuel and energy . But most all days I stay within my calorie goal even with the long hard workouts I do .I also change up my workouts almost every day ..different routines ..sometimes I'll skip lifting and just jog an hour etc. Or I'll do a hiit workout and walk .. I measure every month and have lost many inches , legs and arms are definitely more defined and clothes fit better . Do I just not pay as much attention to the scale and focus more on muscle tone and inches ? I'm 5'9 female , larger frame 195 . Thanks for any input , much appreciated

Replies

• sander312
    sander312 Posts: 2 Member
    I wouldn't worry about the scale as long as you are SEEING progress, but if you are determined to make the numbers drop you'll likely have re-evaluate your meal plan and become even more aggressive on your cut.
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    edited July 2017
    Improving performance is not the same as gaining muscle mass.
    malibu927 wrote: »
    mbarilli06 wrote: »
    If she has suddenly began working out it is possible she is gaining muscle and losing weight.

It's been six months, and newbie gains don't last that long.

For a person to gain muscle, they need a calorie surplus and good protein intake along with lifting. And it's quite difficult for women to gain even doing that.

These. ^^ And the suggestion that someone in a calorie deficit could be gaining so much muscle mass that it's masking their fat loss when stepping on the scale?

I only wish this were possible. :)
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,483 Member
    Have you reassessed your calorie intake for the weight you have lost so far?
    If you started at 220 and weigh 200 now (hypothetically) you will need a lower calorie goal to lose at the same rate you started at.

Also, we nearly all slack off in out logging over time without noticing. Tighten up your weighing practices and weigh every single thing, double check you are using the correct entries by using the packaging label (weigh the packaged item even if it is single serving), or the USDA.

It always think it is a good idea to be consistent in how many of your exercise calories you eat back. It gives you another data point when analyzing weight loss problems.

Cheers, h.
  • bruby28
    bruby28 Posts: 4,123 Member
    Two weeks is not a plateau. Just a stall. Make sure your logging is as tight as possible (using a food scale? accurate entries?) and keep at it.

Thank you , yes been weighing food and as accurate as possible to my knowledge . Makes me feel better it's not a total plateau
  • Seffell
    Seffell Posts: 2,221 Member
    bruby28 wrote: »
    Two weeks is not a plateau. Just a stall. Make sure your logging is as tight as possible (using a food scale? accurate entries?) and keep at it.

Thank you , yes been weighing food and as accurate as possible to my knowledge . Makes me feel better it's not a total plateau

Plateaus happen when you start eating at maintanance calories.
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Given the level of exercise your doing i expect your not eating enough, up your intake i bet it kickstarts your weight loss again.

The solution to a stalled weight loss is never to eat more food. :)