How much of a calorie deficit is safe?

Options
I'm just starting to work on diet and excersize. I have a good 100lbs to lose. If the app is suggesting around 1500 calories and I burn 500 calories , how close should I be getting to the 1500-food+500, of that make sense?

I'm challenged because I'm on a medication that makes it nearly impossible to lose weight so I'm trying to focus first on what working out gives me without the scale.

Replies

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,045 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    It's pretty easy to lose weight when you have a lot to lose. I say, eat your 1500 base + all the 500 for exercise. It's what I did, still do ten years later. I lost all my weight eating all the delicious calories I needed for my exercise.

You'll be able to make adjustments down the line when/if you aren't getting the results or if you start feeling weak, tired, irritable etc.
  • timtam163
    timtam163 Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    MFP is designed so that you eat back your exercise calories (think about it; if you burn say 1000 from exercise and you're eating 1500, you'd only be leaving yourself 500 for your body to run on.) So you should be eating a net of 1500 (so if you burn 500 from exercise, eat 2000). Some people would disagree on this one, but that's what I think.

However you say you're on a medication that makes it hard to lose weight; I'd consult with your doctor on this one. There might be some eating patterns/macro breakdowns that work better for you than others, but without knowing exactly what the medication is or does, it's hard to give you sound advice.
  • CattOfTheGarage
    CattOfTheGarage Posts: 2,750 Member
    Options
    If the app suggests 1500 calories, you eat 1500 calories.

If you do exercise, you log it, and the app will automatically give you extra calories to eat. You are aiming to eat them all but not go into the red. Try to be conservative when logging exercise, though - it's easy to overestimate it.

I agree it would be worth talking to a doctor as well, as your situation is rather specific.
  • Seffell
    Seffell Posts: 2,222 Member
    Options
    20% to 25% of your TDEE which is sedentiary maintanance plus exercise.
    If your TDEE is say 1800 then 350cal to 450cal deficit is fine.
  • 21ttomlinson
    21ttomlinson Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I stick to my calories but my PT said don't log your weight on the app otherwise it will keep giving extra calories.
  • CattOfTheGarage
    CattOfTheGarage Posts: 2,750 Member
    Options
    I stick to my calories but my PT said don't log your weight on the app otherwise it will keep giving extra calories.

I don't understand this. It will only do this if you are gaining weight. If you are losing weight, it will cut your calories as you get lighter.
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options

I'm challenged because I'm on a medication that makes it nearly impossible to lose weight so I'm trying to focus first on what working out gives me without the scale.
    Curious as to the medication you're on if you're willing to share that. :)