Skin care?

Options
Hi all,

So I'm aware that this is a bit off topic (I suppose for the purpose of the site generally and not just the thread but I figure that general diet and weight loss are inextricably tied to skin care issues), but I'm wondering about a few things if anyone has any advice.

I've just started working out and am worried about breaking out/irritating my skin (especially face). Tips for face/skin care before and after working out?

Also any skin care tips GENERALLY? I have very bad dark spots that remained even after my acne cleared up on my face and back. I also have stretch marks/loose skin/cellulite (but I've begun working out so hopefully that will help)

Thanks!

Replies

• VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    Nothing you can do about stretch marks or loose skin other than give it time.

For your face, post workout is probably more important than pre. Just a good cleanser, toner and moisturiser. What I'd recommend depends on budget and where you are in the world with caveats about trying things to see what works for you.

For the dark spots and just general texture, I swear by Dr. Dennis Gross skin peel pads. I have recommended them to a few people and they have all loved them. But they are expensive and I think there are other brands doing very similar products now (check for the active ingredients) at lower price points.
  • pavingnewpaths
    pavingnewpaths Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    Nothing you can do about stretch marks or loose skin other than give it time.

For your face, post workout is probably more important than pre. Just a good cleanser, toner and moisturiser. What I'd recommend depends on budget and where you are in the world with caveats about trying things to see what works for you.

For the dark spots and just general texture, I swear by Dr. Dennis Gross skin peel pads. I have recommended them to a few people and they have all loved them. But they are expensive and I think there are other brands doing very similar products now (check for the active ingredients) at lower price points.

I use a cocoa butter stretch mark lotion that helps but I figured as much re: loose skin.

I'm usually willing to splurge on face care. I'm really fond of Shea Moisture though so I might just buy a set of their cleanser/toner/moisturizer.

Ahh yes, right now I use clean & clear dark spot remover (2% salicylic acid) and it does wonders but I have a hard time staying consistent/would prefer a once a day full face peel.

Thanks so much!
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    It is advisable to remove makeup before working out. Sweating and the body heat can open pores and the make-up can clog them.

If it isn't possible, a good cleansing immediately after will help.
  • meganw2020
    meganw2020 Posts: 107 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    If you are worried about breaking out from working out definitely remove your makeup before you work out so your pores don't suck it up. I actually think working out improves my skin because you are emptying out and purging your pores when you sweat.

I have trouble with past acne marks too, my skin gets dark marks really easily. I have found that a good vitamin C serum (love the one from Lumene) is very helpful along the Pixi glow tonic (at Target) that has 5% glycolic acid. Be careful with peels, not everyone can tolerate doing them everyday, I only do them weekly at most.
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    I like the simple brand exfoliating wipes, I use them in the car (or wherever) to remove makeup pre-workout. Takes 2 seconds. Then a scrub with salysilic acid in the shower.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    I'm not of the acne prone age group, but my skin has been clearer since I started working out. Hardly ever a pimple. I guess I just sweat it out now rather than letting things get clogged! I recommend a good moisturizer that works well for you. I have gone to thicker moisturizers over the years as my skin changes.
  • rgbmore
    rgbmore Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I use a gentle cleanser, Cera ve, for my face. Work out with a clean face, then wash the sweat off afterwards and moisturize. A dermatologist can determine a great routine and which brands to use. I'd break out really bad, but the prescribed me an RX with a skin antibiotic and for the first time in 15 years I have clear skin.
  • erica_today
    erica_today Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    Honestlyt acne use to be horrible and it was 100% my diet. As soon as I started eating healthy and exercising it went away I get one or two here and there but my skin looks better than ever before. It use to be horrendous. My sister eats junk all the time and never drinks water and uses every product out there I keep telling her but she won't listen probably because she's only 112lbs.

But all I use is a bar of soap in the shower(usually like an oatmeal one, tea tree infused soap....and its only for my face) and before bed I wipe my dace with a make up wipe. So try that.
  • Tania_181
    Tania_181 Posts: 100 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    I've just started working out and am worried about breaking out/irritating my skin (especially face). Tips for face/skin care before and after working out?

Also any skin care tips GENERALLY? I have very bad dark spots that remained even after my acne cleared up on my face and back. I also have stretch marks/loose skin/cellulite (but I've begun working out so hopefully that will help)

Thanks!

As others have said - don't wear makeup while exercising - this is likely to cause more spots.

For dark spots I recommend checking out Alpha H's Liquid gold with glycolic acid. It's supposed to help reduce acne scars and dark spots. I've definitely found my skin looks smoother and brighter after use.

Unfortunately there's not much you can really do about cellulite other than keep exercising and lose some weight, and stay hydrated!
  • pavingnewpaths
    pavingnewpaths Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much everyone.

I definitely don't wear make up while working out (stopped wearing it unless I'm going out, really). And I've noticed that since I've started working out (only a week really), my face has cleared up a lot. I think it'll get even better once I have a set routine.

I'm considering shower products for the rest of my body by the brands you recommended.
  • Kandisn29
    Kandisn29 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I’ve been an esthetician for 17 years. Exercise and sweating are awesome for skin health, but you have to control the bacteria post-workout. Immediately washing your face with a gentle cleanser is best. But this is not always realistic on a daily basis, especially if you are in the middle of a busy day. One of my favorite products is Puracyn spray. You can find on Amazon. I discovered it for eczema sufferers (staph loves to colonize eczema, making it worse) for their workouts and found it worked great for acne prone skin too. It’s super gentle and easy and fast if you don’t have time to really wash your face. You can spray a mist pre and post workout and this helps control the bacteria. Like others have said, not wearing makeup helps with controlling the bacteria.
    When you do wear makeup, make sure it is as pure as possible and that you remove it gently at the end of the day.
    For spots, avoid hydroquinone products. They work temporarily, but have fierce internal side effects and as soon as you stop the product, the spots are back with a vengeance.
    Glycolic acid works well, but also makes you more sensitive to sunlight, potentially causing more spots! So if you use this, be sure and be diligent with sunscreen.
    Vitamin C is my favorite, but it must be tetrahexyldecyl ascorbate to work well. It’s usually about a $40-$60 product. This lightens and brightens without side effects or harming your skin. It is also anti-aging!
    I love talking skin, so feel free to holler at me if I can help!

• nooshi713
    nooshi713 Posts: 4,877 Member
    Options
    I used to break out really bad. Over the years my skin has gotten much better. Don’t work out in makeup, ever! Use a good quality chemical exfoliant, vitamin C (preferably 15% or higher), and retinol or Retin A.