Advice about meal planning

Options
Hey everyone ! Happy Sunday! I love MFP first of all. I have hired a health coach ( who helps me plan my meals and workouts because I struggle with this sort of thing ). It has been going very good and lost 8 lbs in 4 weeks. I did injur myself as she wanted me to do these 30 minute beach body workouts which I feel are awesome but just easy to injure yourself when your 100 lbs overweight. I have insured my knee doing one of them so that has been a bit frustrating but I guess it is what it is.
I paid her quite a lot for 3 months of menus ( I shop and make them myself which has been awesome learning for me and really worked).
So we were going along great and then she sent me my new menu and she suddenly sent me my new week menu and made the menus for eating the same exact thing for 7 days of the week ( two crock meals for lunch and dinner ). I know this might be like what others like to do but worried the meals would spoil after 3 days and I would also just get bored. She says to be super focused on losing weight this works for her to look at food more as fuel. I get it but my husband eats with me and he as like " gross! The same two crock pot meals for 7 days ! Yuck !". Her recipes are amazing but am I weird that I do not want to eat the same thing for 7 days ( each meal, breakfast , lunch, dinner , and all snacks the exact same for 7 days). If a lot of you do that then I hope I did not offend but if you do that and it works for you then share with me your thoughts on it. I am trying to be open minded here.
I paid for 90 days of meal plans up front a lot of money so now My husband thinks she is just trying to make it easy on herself to make my menus instead of what is best for me. I am not sure he is right about that. Lol

Replies

• laralosingit42
    laralosingit42 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    And before any of you judge me, I do need help planning easy meals as I am just not good at doing that so she has helped me a lot and now I am getting good habits from it. Just threw me for a loop to eat the same thing for 7 days in a row . And I thought for the money I spent she could be more creative with my menus. Am I nuts ? I want to do what she says as she is aweome but just not sure I agree with this idea.
  • 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I agree wwith your husband, she provided you with a crap product, and I would request my money back.

I tend to eat the same thing every weekday for breakfast and am also pretty routine in my lunches.

I make a breakfast casserole by mixing a lb of browned turkey sausage, 2 serving of shredded hashbrowns, and 6 eggs. Put in a loaf pan and bake for 45 mins, and then melt a serving of shredded mexican or cheddar cheese on top. I split it into 5 containers and eat one each morning. It lasts fine refrigerated for the week, ends up being 250-300 protein packed calories depending on brands you use. I cook breakfast sat and sunday.

For lunch I usually do a sandwich or microwave meal, with fruit and veggie sides. Just whatever that I like in season and cheap at the time.

Dinner varies most days. We do have to eat leftovers sometimes, but I would get annoyed eating one meal for the whole week too! Mostly, I just eat what I like for dinner and fit it into my calories. I use leaner meats, and bulk things up with veggies to save on calories. Hubs is a meat and potatoes guy so he gets aggrivated when I get too "fancy". Plus on weekdays I like quick 20 min meals. Tacos anyone???
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    Im not sure where you are, but unless your coach is also an RD, it is actually illegal for her to create a personalized meal plan for you in many states in the US.

Some people like to eat different foods every day, others prefer to eat the same thing over and over again. There's nothing weird about either way.

I know it's water under the bridge, but there's really no reason to pay for a meal plan. There are so many available online, and so many sites that provide lots of calorie-controlled meal ideas and recipes if you are looking for that sort of thing.

I would let her know you like variety and ask if she had any other options for you. You don't need to eat specific foods, and certainly not meals you don't like, to lose weight. Just eat the right number of calories.

A lot of people are going to tell you to dump the coach. What I'll say is I hope her accountability and support is helping you enough to warrant the money you are spending, that's really what a coach is for. She should not be just telling you what and how to eat, she should be helping you make lifestyle changes that work for your real life. If you can't stick to the lifestyle changes, your not going to keep the weight off.

Congrats on your success so far :drinker:
  • brdnw
    brdnw Posts: 565 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    I understand having a group of items that are a staple of your diet (like certain proteins or vegetables) but eating the same thing every day is just a lack of any effort by your so called coach. I lost 95lbs going from 285 to 190 and I ate different meals each day. It's certainly easier to cook a meal that you can have for multiple lunches but if you're paying someone and they're giving you 2 meals to eat for an entire week then it doesn't sound like you're getting much value from it
  • laralosingit42
    Options
    Oh yes she is helping me stay accountable but keeping my food journal here ( I share it with her daily). We send me daily texts and weekly phone calls and constant motivation and accountability so she is amazing at that and truly worth the money. She just made it sound like she wants me to do this 7 day meal plan each week because it will help me focus on food as fuel. I am much older than her and told her that the diets I have always failed in my life was the ones that caused food boredom. I would gag to eat everything the same for 7 days, yuck! I could possible eat the same breakfast or lunch daily but all the same meals and snacks for the entire week! Is that even sanitary because doesn't food lose its nutritional value after being cooked after a few days ?
    I know I can find food plans online but I just wanted an over all coach and she is helping me with all other things like my workouts and stuff too. She is great at all that . Except I am wondering if these beachbody workouts are a bit too much because I keep injuring myself but I guess that is just life when your out of shape.! Haha!
    So, anyone here plan all their meals the same for an entire week and do you like it? I like variety but guess I may be nuts or something
  • nyponbell
    nyponbell Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    I enjoy eating the same hot foods for lunch and dinner (that is to say, one food for lunch and another for dinner) but mostly when I'm at university all day and work afterwards, because it takes away the decision and planning - and I would not be happy if I had paid someone to help me with this and that's what I was told to do (unless I specifically asked for it). I know that a lot of people get bored with eating the same kinds of foods each day, and since she is a professional who charged you money for it, it does seem incredibly lazy to basically repeat the exact same menu for 7 days. Even if she wants to help you save money because some items are cheaper to buy in bulk etc, then there are a lot of different ways to cook chicken (I'm told; I've never cooked any) that doesn't bore you or your husband.

I am currently preparing for a 10 day holiday on an island and have prepared a meal plan (and the food) for while I'm away. I'm going to eat the same things every day, the only variation would be the fresh fruit I buy while on location. But I did this with foods I know I enjoy and with the fact that it is super easy to do one meal plan and repeat it in mind.

I would suggest that you talk to her, and say that it doesn't work for you to eat the exact same foods for 7 days a week and remind her that one of the reasons why you turned to her for (paid!) help was because you wanted to plan variety, but with a focus on health, but found it difficult to do on your own.
  • kimny72
    edited July 2017
    Options
    I tend to eat the same breakfast and lunch for days if not weeks at a time, but I like to have something different for dinner every night. The most I'll pre-planned for dinner is I'll prep ingredients (like roast chicken parts, make a big batch of rice or soup, etc) but I'll use it multiple ways throughout the week.

I'll keep cooked grains and pasta for 5 days or so, but meat I'll only keep for 2 or 3 days. Not sure what the real limit is, but that's what feels right to me.
  • laralosingit42
    Options
    I agree wwith your husband, she provided you with a crap product, and I would request my money back.

I tend to eat the same thing every weekday for breakfast and am also pretty routine in my lunches.

I make a breakfast casserole by mixing a lb of browned turkey sausage, 2 serving of shredded hashbrowns, and 6 eggs. Put in a loaf pan and bake for 45 mins, and then melt a serving of shredded mexican or cheddar cheese on top. I split it into 5 containers and eat one each morning. It lasts fine refrigerated for the week, ends up being 250-300 protein packed calories depending on brands you use. I cook breakfast sat and sunday.

For lunch I usually do a sandwich or microwave meal, with fruit and veggie sides. Just whatever that I like in season and cheap at the time.

Dinner varies most days. We do have to eat leftovers sometimes, but I would get annoyed eating one meal for the whole week too! Mostly, I just eat what I like for dinner and fit it into my calories. I use leaner meats, and bulk things up with veggies to save on calories. Hubs is a meat and potatoes guy so he gets aggrivated when I get too "fancy". Plus on weekdays I like quick 20 min meals. Tacos anyone???

I missed your comment sorry, yes this is normal the way you eat above. I think she got busy this week and did not get my meal plan done in time and because of that she just came up with this quick plan to eat the same thing daily. Before she planned out 2-3 weeks for me at a time and today we had our phone call and she said she feels like this is the best way for me to NOT focus on food too much. I don't mind sticking to breakfast or same lunch but again 7 days of the exact same thing feels like food ground hog day. Haha! I am upset I paid in advance with no refund in the contract and when I told her I did it like the plan she was like " well I cannot get the new plan done for you until tomorrow" but she knows I only have time to shop
    On Sundays. So I need to wing it for a few days. That is okay but I guess I expected more for 500 dollars per month on the meal plan part.
    And it has been working until now and we are on the 5th week.

• Jyster
    Jyster Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Ultimately she works for you, if you are unsatisfied, then tell her and work with her to change the meal plan. The change from food being pleasure to fuel is not something you can change by forcing yourself to eat the same thing everyday IMO.

Good luck.
  • kimny72
    Options
    Oh man, $500/month is a small fortune for meal planning! Unless she is a RD and a 5 star chef, that sounds like highway robbery to me :(. Before you pay her for another month of meal planning, Google "healthy meal plan" or something like that.
  • laralosingit42
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »
    I tend to eat the same breakfast and lunch for days if not weeks at a time, but I like to have something different for dinner every night. The most I'll pre-planned for dinner is I'll prep ingredients (like roast chicken parts, make a big batch of rice or soup, etc) but I'll use it multiple ways throughout the week.

I'll keep cooked grains and pasta for 5 days or so, but meat I'll only keep for 2 or 3 days. Not sure what the real limit is, but that's what feels right to me.

Exactly ! Meat spoils so yuck for 7 days! She is vegan so I guess she can make meals for 7 days but that is just not my thing. She is an amazing person in all
    Other ways so guess I just need to be straight up about it with her which I was today but I could tell
    She was a bit offended. She is now going to make meals me to follow every 3 days. I guess that is okay or better at least .

• MegaMooseEsq
    MegaMooseEsq Posts: 3,118 Member
    Options
    Yeah, this sounds crummy - do you really want to actually train yourself not to enjoy food? My understanding of "food as fuel" is more about keeping up quality and maintaining balance - not too much or too little. If you need professional help to not emotionally eat or something like that, you need a therapist, not a meal planner. I would insist on a free week of meal planning or a reimbursement since it sounds like she admitted that she didn't get to your meal plan in time - you didn't get the service you paid for!

Like others have said, I eat the same thing for breakfast most days, but I definitely mix up my other meals. My ex was big on batch cooking, so it certainly works for some people, but not me!
  • Dreamyriver
    Dreamyriver Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    So, if I'm reading correctly, you've already had 4 weeks worth of menu plans? Can't you use some of the meal days from previous weeks to swap out the ridiculous meal plan from this week, and tell the 'coach' that you expect an extra week of plans for your inconvenience?

I appreciate that you've pre-paid for 3 months worth of plans - please don't pay for any more. You'll be able to pull your favourite breakfasts, lunches, dinners and snacks from the plans she provides you and be able to put them together yourself, using MFP to keep track of calories/macros.

I'm quite sad, and like a weekly menu plan. It helps with the endless 'mummmmmm what's for dinnnnnnnnner' and gives me something to aim for rather than reaching for the telephone. I even have a little spreadsheet with a drop down for each meal in the week, with a choice of 3-4 breakfasts, 4-5 lunches and a 3-4 choices for each protein for dinner. Makes life (and food shopping) so much easier.
  • laralosingit42
    Options
    Yeah, this sounds crummy - do you really want to actually train yourself not to enjoy food? My understanding of "food as fuel" is more about keeping up quality and maintaining balance - not too much or too little. If you need professional help to not emotionally eat or something like that, you need a therapist, not a meal planner. I would insist on a free week of meal planning or a reimbursement since it sounds like she admitted that she didn't get to your meal plan in time - you didn't get the service you paid for!

Like others have said, I eat the same thing for breakfast most days, but I definitely mix up my other meals. My ex was big on batch cooking, so it certainly works for some people, but not me!

She had my meal plan for this coming week by Saturday but it was, as I stated , for the same meal
    For every day for 7 days. I got in shock over that and called her out on it and she that is when she said she was trying for me to focus on doing it that way because she wanted me to focus on food as fuel. My husband called BS on that and said " she just did not have time to make a good meal plan" as we both knew she has been on vacation last week. Also in the past she made 2-3 weeks at once. Now she at the last minute gave me one week with 3 recipes ? Yes I guess she was just winging it. I would have had a fruit smoothie, Lentil soup and chili every day for 7 days! I get food boredom so easily but I do eat clean.
    Keep in mind I am paying her for motivation and accountability and she is really good at that part. Very positive and sweet and firm too!