Exercising like a madwoman, losing NOTHING

Options

Replies

• MaddMaestro
    MaddMaestro Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    Woah, you're taller than me and have the weight I want. Good job!
  • donsred
    donsred Posts: 16 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    Food diary is open if you care to look. Note that it is refusing to show my exercise calories on Friday and Saturday, but the exercise shows on the activity page. Also, this was "recovery week" in P90X, so I did more yoga and less cardio than in past weeks (and I totally disagree that deathcamp yoga with Tony Horton isn't a workout, but MFP insists it's worth very few calories).

As for the protein shake being high in calories, the one I tried Saturday was 160 calories for 30 grams of protein, and I drank it with oat milk, so, it was almost 300 calories. That's a lot of calories IMHO. Still, going for it, since you all advised increasing cals and protein. Had one today that was less, but also had lower protein. Have also added a scoop of protein powder to the morning green smoothie - adding 10g to each smoothie.

Thanks to all of those who know body comp stuff, I did shift from more cardio to weights, and will hope that helps too. Thanks very much for help on knowing how much protein to eat - that helps a lot.

And I am doing my best to chill, bbell1985. Honest. ;-)
  • dendryite
    dendryite Posts: 1 Member
    Options

ksyrnyk wrote: »
    I suffer the same weight loss issues as you. I'm a female 52 year old woman. Last week I weighed in at 173.5 pounds. This week I kicked into gear. I have been doing 45 min to an hour of weights and 35 min of cardio, and I am eating VERY clean. Organic, whenever I can. I take very good supplements and a fat burner morning and night. I have had great success this week, having a good regimen, and have lost over 10 pounds on my 6th day. Today I weighed in at 164.2 For my body, it's all about proper supplements, food combinations, and exercise. When I leave one element out, I gain weight. Happy to be on track. Good luck to you!

Thank you ksyrnyk for inspiring me. I'm 5'10" and 195, age 58. I made the mistake of quitting smoking while going through menopause -- while at the same time my thyroid was starting to go (runs in the family). 30 lbs. later.... In my defense, I have a lot of muscle so that at 165 I look fit & trim. Would like to get back there & your post inspired me. I used to be able to lose 10 lbs. even when I didn't want to (I actually got "too thin" a couple of times back in my 20s & early 30s). Now I must wait for the metabolism to "kick in." (I cycle 1.5 & sometimes 2 hrs. a day; weight lift a couple of times a week.)
  • donsred
    edited July 2017
    Options
    Thought these might help.

cfvs61m9k3l9.png

gbc0p1brus2j.png

mvdthowjk7kb.png
  • dragon_girl26
    dragon_girl26 Posts: 2,187 Member
    Options
    ^^ same here

@middlehaitch always has great posts and helpful advice for newer people!
  • donsred
    Options
    Yes, those are AWESOME pics. And again, great advice. Thanks!
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    Have you asked your doctor specifically about Cushings and other cortisol related issues? Like you I have a large weight circumference and mine was at least partly caused by cortisol coming from a benign ovarian tumor. The tumor and ovary were removed and my waist is coming down, but slowly compared to the rest of me. I am 5'8" 187 and 38" waist. My legs and the rest of my body are pretty muscular, I just have a giant fat pad on my stomach - which is specifically caused by cortisol, that is what excess cortisol does.
  • donsred
    edited July 2017
    Options
    BTW collectingblues - you had a great idea to measure somewhere other than my tummy. I looked back at my start measurements for P90X (they have you measure EVERYTHING!), and while it's true that around my tummy hasn't shrunk at all, my chest and thighs have. So evidently I am changing some fat to muscle, just not the fat I was hoping for!
  • clicketykeys
    clicketykeys Posts: 6,568 Member
    Options
    @middlehaitch what kind of protein shake do you buy? Or do you make your own?
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,483 Member
    Options
    It's the Costco kaizen vanilla powder mixed with water. It is palatable. Oh and it isn't bad mixed with a cup of cold black coffe either.

I don't use it every day. Before bed I just do a rough estimate of of my protein for the day and throw back the amount of grams I need to make up if I am short.
    I worked out the weight per 25 and 30 gram drink so I wasn't always sloshing a 35g drink down. That (35g) can leave me still feeling satiated at breakfast.

NB: I am older and protein absorption in amounts between 25-35 g is said to work best for my age.

(Please realize I have been in maintenance so long I am quite laksidasical about most things, adequate protein is the only thing I even mentally track )

Getting protein through diet (I like food) is still the best, drinks are good for topping up- just the way I look at it.

Cheers, h.

• rachelsambrown8
    rachelsambrown8 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I know this sounds counter intuitive, but cut down on cardio and replace it with heavy lifting. Cardio defeats a lot of the lifting work you're doing.
    Also, my body has trouble digesting meat - so I do 30-60 day spurts of fish only.
    These are the most abstract things I've tried which have worked during severe plateaus. Hope this helps!
  • brandiuntz
    brandiuntz Posts: 2,717 Member
    Options
    at 5'8", 146 you are in the normal range for your height - maybe focus on recomp rather than weight loss (building lean muscle, while losing fat)

^^THIS. I'm 5'8", 46, and 155lb is as low as I can really go. You are well within normal. If you don't like your appearance, work on the recomp (build more muscle to look trimmer).
  • tomteboda
    tomteboda Posts: 2,171 Member
    Options
    I'm concerned that you may have a medical issue, such as fibroid tumors, if your waist is that large at your current weight. You should get a complete checkup and discuss this with your doctor
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    tomteboda wrote: »
    I'm concerned that you may have a medical issue, such as fibroid tumors, if your waist is that large at your current weight. You should get a complete checkup and discuss this with your doctor

I agree with this as Im shorter at 5'6 1/2 and atm weigh 170 lb and my waist is 27 1/2 inches.im about to be 43 and going through perimenopause and have fibroid cysts that I get from time to time.