"Throwing in the towel"?

Options
So you know how all those memes go: "I wanted to get fit by this summer, but then I decided to stay fat and be happy" kind of mockery... Here I am, feeling down. For the last 8 years I have been trying to lose weight. I watched my friends shed effortlessly their post-pregnancy weight, while mine hangs on. Years ago, I introduced my husband to running, and despite his health problems (that I have to manage, since they are serious), he is in great shape, benefiting from it. I, on the other hand, can jog and work out to keep my mind feeling good (I LOVE a good workout, as in - as hard as my joints allow), and for feeling great overall, but aside from muscle strength and some definition, it does nothing for weightloss. Yes, I know, it isn't supposed to make you lose weight, as much as benefit overall health.
I don't do crazy diets. I cook for our family, including husband's special dietary needs, and two small kids who - naturally - MUST love completely different foods. But I keep it healthy, lots of veggies, we do not eat junk, and not much fried and such dishes. Alcohol - ok, tried cutting it off completely, went for weeks, still no change. Water is my friend, and I drink plenty of it. But...
My weight keeps hanging on, and slowly increasing. I logged furiously here, and on CC before. But things get frustrating, when achieving nothing. I've lost a few pounds here and there, and while sticking to the good habits that "started" the loss - gained everything and then some. At first I tried to think I am gaining muscle, since indeed I work out hard. Well, can't keep thinking that way...

Just don't know. I don't give up on anything easily. I still want to lose weight, not gain. Mentally, it is not the best state to be, with the frustration and all, and having to keep it all to myself since "other people have their own problems", and in fact rely on me for fixing them. Perhaps I needed to vent a little, and I thank you for listening. Welcoming any suggestions and/or motivation ideas.

5'3", 160 lbs today (about 147 two years ago, less before), 44 years old next week... in 20 or so years + pregnancies, I went from size 2 to size 10. Ideally and considering the workouts I do, wish to be around 133-137. I am very uncomfortable in my current weight.

Replies

• InkAndApples
    InkAndApples Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Right, first things first - how are you logging? Are you weighing all solids and using measuring cups/spoons for liquids? Are you checking your entries against the USDA database?

Second. Vent away - it's frustrating and makes you want to quit, I know. The thought that's kept me going through all of it is "the next year is going to go by no matter what" the way I see it I could keep going and next year I'll be in a better place or I could quit and be stuck exactly the same, or worse.

You got this. Brush yourself off. You can sort it out.
  • 88olds
    88olds Posts: 4,477 Member
    Options
    You can do this.

Do you lose when logging furiously? If not, you weren't doing it right.

Logging has a pretty long learning curve. First you have to figure out if you've accurately calculated a moderate deficit. At the same time you have to weigh and measure and crunch numbers at home. A pre planned menu helps. And while all this is going on you have to become a good estimator of your intake when you are out of your own kitchen. That's a lot. And the only real test is whether you are losing at the scale. A good test period takes 2 or 3 months.

And you have to stick with it and keep logging even when you have lapses and make mistakes.
    It also helps if at the beginning you reflect a bit on how you will cope when feeling discouraged.

The good news is that a well tracked calorie deficit will, over time, will result in a downward trend at the scale. All you have to do is ride the trend, make moderate adjustments if you stall, and of course, allow for the time for it to work.

You are willing to allow for the time aren't you? Read this board much and you'll find that time wrecks a lot of people.

You can do this.

• noirelb
    noirelb Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    Have you had bloodtests for thyroid and other imbalances that could cause weight gain?
  • LelekBolek
    LelekBolek Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Thank you for your kind and well-supported responses. Calories: I have done the "calculations", which included estimates for activity levels, etc. It came up to circa 1400-1450 recommended calories per day. I know through logging, that sometimes I go over that, especially if I end up eating something after kids - I try to eat after they do, since then I can have a smaller portion for me in case they did not finish something. Yes, I check calories and labels, and since I cook a lot for home (also I make and decorate cakes for special events) I am well-familiar with all the measuring equipment and kitchen scales. I have learned not to try my cake&frosting recipes, as most of those I know by heart, and have no need to test. Besides, I DO NOT LIKE sweets! We are a weird family, pretty much everyone, kids included, who do not like sweets. A bowl of un-given Halloween candy can stay out in the open, and no one cares LOL.

I was considering blood tests, but being the only "un-diagnosed" parent, I am reluctant to go to doctors. I know, strange, but it is one of those "as long as I don't know about it - I don't have it" crazy things.

As for logging furiously - yes, I would lose 2. Then gain 3. But I keep trying. I also have a fitbit (or Garmin rather) connected to the logging. The data on it is pretty ridiculous. I often go over or even double the steps goal, and then it sets unrealistic new goals ))) But I like it for some things, like measuring distance I ran, or hike. What I do't like, is when it does "calorie adjustment" in the food log. It makes it confusing and permitting, if you know what I mean. So I try to ignore that feature.

Thank you again for motivating words. I am trying desperately to stick with it, and convince myself that eventually the effort will pay off. Since it is not happening, and has been a frustrating challenge over the years to this point, I am feeling the drag, and the nudge to say "screw it, why even try..."
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,951 Member
    Options
    cs17oe75dcn0.jpg
  • LZMiner
    LZMiner Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    I think you need to lower your calories. I started in January, at 1200 a day, and I'm 5'4---and I've lost 15 lbs...now I'm pretty much maintaining. For me, it really does start in the kitchen. I don't do low-carb, but with 1200 calories, I don't eat a lot of bread, rice or pasta.
  • 88olds
    Options
    If your logging accurately there are only two possibilities. One is a physical/medical issue.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,484 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    First, don't be an ostrich, go to the doctor. For your and your family's sake.

After that-

You check calories and label, you are familiar with measuring equipment, kitchen scales.

But, do you actually use that kitchen scale all the time, consistently, day after day, night after night.

Do you take the item out of the package, weight it and compare that with the info on the package and make the
    adjustment needed if the calories are over or under what the package says.

Is the info on the package the same as in the database.

You have scales, use the tarring digital style that weighs in grams.

Weigh everything.

If it is a single item look for, or double check, the USDA data base entry.

If you are weighing an item cooked do not use a cooked version, and apply the opposite too.

It takes time to learn good calorie tracking skills, take that time and you will succeed. (Once any medical issues, if you have any, have been diagnosed and are being treated)

Cheers, h.
  • LelekBolek
    LelekBolek Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    88olds wrote: »
    If your logging accurately there are only two possibilities. One is a physical/medical issue.

Ok, I'll step into this one. What is the second?

On subject of thyroid: has anyone here dealt with it? If that is an issue - what should I expect as far as treatment? Is it surgical procedure, or what is it "fixed" with?

Thank you all for your insights.
  • 88olds
    Options
    Sorry.

Should say "if you're logging accurately and not losing."

Calories set too high.
  • goldthistime
    goldthistime Posts: 3,214 Member
    Options
    LZMiner wrote: »
    I think you need to lower your calories. I started in January, at 1200 a day, and I'm 5'4---and I've lost 15 lbs...now I'm pretty much maintaining. For me, it really does start in the kitchen. I don't do low-carb, but with 1200 calories, I don't eat a lot of bread, rice or pasta.

But she's 5'10" not 5'4". I'm 5'6" and I lose on 1450.

• fiddletime
    fiddletime Posts: 1,862 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    LelekBolek wrote: »
    5'3", 160 lbs today (about 147 two years ago, less before), 44 years old next week... in 20 or so years + pregnancies, I went from size 2 to size 10. Ideally and considering the workouts I do, wish to be around 133-137. I am very uncomfortable in my current weight.

I'm 5'2 1/2", 62, and eat 1200 calories (average) and maybe half my exercise calories. I can't each much breads or junk food on that, but eat everything I want. I'm losing about 1-2# a month. I've lost 25 pounds twice, and am now very slowly losing to try to master maintenance.

If you weigh your food and log accurately, I wonder at your exercise calories. I don't include any walking calories and don't link my Fitbit to MFP. I input cardio and only eat back all my calories if I'm really hungry. If I'm not losing, I blame the exercise calories, and eat back fewer of them (they are often overestimated on apps). You can lose, but if you aren't, give it a few more months trying to tweak things, and hang out on these boards. It's a lifelong process. At your height, you have very little wiggle room.

And your alternative if you don't have a medical issue, is to bite the bullet and really tighten up your program, or not lose or even gain. That got me on here 4 years ago, and keeps me here. Weight loss only gets harder with aging. I also had to mostly cut out alcohol, except on rare occasions. It wasn't the calories, it was that I ate too much buzzed.
  • goldthistime
    goldthistime Posts: 3,214 Member
    Options
    LZMiner wrote: »

But she's 5'10" not 5'4". I'm 5'6" and I lose on 1450.

Ugh. I reread and see that she's 5'3", not 5'10". NM.

• Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,951 Member
    Options
    First, don't be an ostrich, go to the doctor. For your and your family's sake.

After that-

You check calories and label, you are familiar with measuring equipment, kitchen scales.

But, do you actually use that kitchen scale all the time, consistently, day after day, night after night.

Do you take the item out of the package, weight it and compare that with the info on the package and make the
    adjustment needed if the calories are over or under what the package says.

Is the info on the package the same as in the database.

You have scales, use the tarring digital style that weighs in grams.

Weigh everything.

If it is a single item look for, or double check, the USDA data base entry.

If you are weighing an item cooked do not use a cooked version, and apply the opposite too.

It takes time to learn good calorie tracking skills, take that time and you will succeed. (Once any medical issues, if you have any, have been diagnosed and are being treated)

Cheers, h.

All this and ... stick with it meticulously and absolutely, with no wavering. None.

When I signed up with MFP, I entered my details into MFP, selected sedentary as my activity level, and chose to lose 0.5 kg/week. MFP gave me 1250 calories. I also entered my exercise and ate half those calories back.

I stuck to that like glue. No going over. Not ever.

For the first 10 days, I lost nothing. I figured I'd give it to 3 weeks, and if I had still lost nothing I would quit. 3 weeks in, I had lost 3 kg. :)

In the past, I've done the 'I eat fairly well, but sometimes I go over' thing, and I don't lose weight when I do that. In fact, I gained weight while eating really well during the week, and then letting things go on the weekends. For me to lose weight, I need to stick with it 7 days a week without fail.

I'll also add this ... I exercise a lot, and exercising can kind of throw a wrench into things because I gain water weight the day after a big effort. I lose it again 3 days later, but it can be a bit disheartening stepping on the scale on Monday morning to see I've put on 1 kg. This is one of the reasons I weigh every day ... to watch my patterns. Yes, I put on 1 kg on Monday morning ... but by Thursday morning it is gone, and by Saturday morning, I've lost a bit ... and the general trend is down. :)

Also remember that food and water has weight. I drink quite a bit of water too, but sometimes I find it beneficial to ease back on the water consumption for a few days. Don't get dehydrated ... but keep track of how much you are drinking, and if you're drinking more than 2 litres a day, maybe cut back by 500 ml for 3 or 4 days to see if that helps things at all.
  • DebLaBounty
    DebLaBounty Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    Your family depends on you. Go to the doctor.
  • zjpq
    zjpq Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    LelekBolek wrote: »
    88olds wrote: »

Ok, I'll step into this one. What is the second?

On subject of thyroid: has anyone here dealt with it? If that is an issue - what should I expect as far as treatment? Is it surgical procedure, or what is it "fixed" with?

Thank you all for your insights.

Treatment depends on your levels, whether you have nodes or not, antibodies etc. I am hypothyroid and take thyroid replacement in the mornings before eating, done.

Hope you can get to the bottom of it, make sure your dr checks all thyroid levels, tsh, t3, t4 and not just the, which is what some doctors want to do and then say you're fine, your t3 or something else can be off and tsh still be normal
  • mholderr
    mholderr Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I think that 1400 is totally reasonable for loosing weight. I am 5'3 and am doing 1400-1600 (trying to not compensate for exercise unless my deficit is over 800 or so) and I have steadily lost about 40 lbs. I have lost on 1200 before but felt awful. Going to the doctor might be a good idea, and switching up your exercise. My last bit of advice would be to check out "the obesity code". I just finished it and it rocked my world-- if you are already controlling what you eat it may come down more to the timing of eating for you.