Share your Tips for scales!!

Options
If anyone has any tips for getting a good reading with an at home scale please share! If you can think of a scale you think gives a good reading, a better reading or any articles I should check out!! Thank you .

Replies

• lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    If you do put it away and take it out for each weighing, like I have to do because my small bathroom size, just press on it to reset it before weighing. The time-honored advice is to weigh first thing in the morning after using the bathroom and before getting dressed or drinking anything. Weigh at the same time, same place, same conditions, every time. And no more than once a day.
  • 62apples
    62apples Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Is there any brand that is better than the others?
  • Momepro
    Momepro Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options
    Don't bother with the fancy Bluetooth or "smart" scales. Most of them require the app for anything but weight so if thier app support is faulty (and most are)you'll waste all your time fighting bad updates, no updates, or glitchy updates. And no matter how fancy the scale is now, it will be obsolete within a couple years. And all app support will just end one day.
  • puzzledstill
    puzzledstill Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I don't have hard floor - so I put scales on the floor of the shower (when it's not on !!!)
  • philyflyazz
    philyflyazz Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Try to stand light on the scale both legs completly together n maybe a little toes hanging off the front
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,644 Member
    Options
    Try to stand light on the scale both legs completly together n maybe a little toes hanging off the front

What does that do?
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    The same location every time (hard floor)
    The same time and circumstances every time: after you wake up, after you pee, clothes off, before you eat.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,127 Member
    Options

What does that do?

Yeah, I'm wondering too ... especially as that's kind of hard to do with my scale.

• Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,127 Member
    Options
    The same time and circumstances every time: after you wake up, after you pee, clothes off, before you eat.

This ^^
  • richb178
    richb178 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Always consciously place both feet in exactly the same location, stand up straight, breath normally, calm yourself, get your balance, then slowly look down at the scale (only takes an extra 5 seconds). Practice until you can get the same reading several times in a row, and then you'll know future reading should be relatively accurate.
  • AnnaBanana5010
    AnnaBanana5010 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I am pretty sure my scale is broken. I went on it ten times. Every two to three times was different.
    richb178 wrote: »
    Always consciously place both feet in exactly the same location, stand up straight, breath normally, calm yourself, get your balance, then slowly look down at the scale (only takes an extra 5 seconds). Practice until you can get the same reading several times in a row, and then you'll know future reading should be relatively accurate.

• AnnaBanana5010
    Options
    Thank you for everyone's input !! I found it all very helpful. Anyone that wants to add more input feel free!!
  • HeliumIsNoble
    HeliumIsNoble Posts: 1,213 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »

What does that do?

Yeah, I'm wondering too ... especially as that's kind of hard to do with my scale.

Tis a joke, I believe. Doing that reduces the reading on the scale, especially if you have an elderly, eccentric set of scales that are affected by stance changes and breathing.

Something to do with pressure changes across the surface? Anyway, I have amused myself by watching the reading change in response to different yoga poses before.

Then I bought a digital scale.
  • AnnaBanana5010
    Options

What does that do?

Tis a joke, I believe. Doing that reduces the reading on the scale, especially if you have an elderly, eccentric set of scales that are affected by stance changes and breathing.

Something to do with pressure changes across the surface? Anyway, I have amused myself by watching the reading change in response to different yoga poses before.

What scale did you buy? Are you happy with it?
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    I wear the same thing on the scale each day. I know how much it weighs and I subtract that value from the scale number. The scale is not used in my private rooms.
  • susanofarrell
    susanofarrell Posts: 30 Member
    Options

...and I take off my watch too! Anything for that extra edge!
  • HeliumIsNoble
    HeliumIsNoble Posts: 1,213 Member
    Options

What does that do?

What scale did you buy? Are you happy with it?

A secondhand Silvercrest. I like it because it can announce my weight to the house in English, French, German and Spanish. As I am the only one who speaks French or German, I naturally leave it on French or German.

Or I turn the sound off. That works, too.