Eating a low (unsafe) amount of calories.

Options

Replies

• charlieaulert
    charlieaulert Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry but from the morning to 7:30pm, it would be illegal for you not to get some sort of break during the day...
  • kwtilbury
    kwtilbury Posts: 1,234 Member
    Options
    Eat a really big meal at the end of the day (the "Gladiator" diet).

Get a new job that doesn't require to damage your body on a daily basis.
  • OliveGirl128
    OliveGirl128 Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    nutmegoreo wrote: »
    Can you take a couple small pocket size snacks you can eat on the way to the bathroom? What do you add to your diet shake? You can certainly boost cals with peanut butter and banana.

This.

Bring a baggie full of nuts and eat on way to bathroom-easy way to get in 200-300 calories right there. Otherwise, it's not that hard to fit in a lot of calories in one meal-use real butter/oil, full calorie dressings/condiments etc etc. Heck-one frozen pizza is over 1,000 calories and not a big deal to eat the whole thing, or Marie Calendar potpies come in at close to 1,200 calories and I used to eat those along with a side of chips :p
  • tweedledee16
    tweedledee16 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Customer facing or not, you can try to stash some berries, or nuts or apple or veggie slices or some quick finger food to munch on throughout the day. I always have more success and stability when I eat little things throughout the day, rather than skip calories during the work day and binge at night. Best of luck, desk jobs can be so challenging to work around with weight loss.
  • OliveGirl128
    Options
    Customer facing or not, you can try to stash some berries, or nuts or apple or veggie slices or some quick finger food to munch on throughout the day. I always have more success and stability when I eat little things throughout the day, rather than skip calories during the work day and binge at night. Best of luck, desk jobs can be so challenging to work around with weight loss.

Fitting in most of your daily calories into one meal is not bingeing. Look up OMAD-it's a form of IF.

• WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    I'm sorry but from the morning to 7:30pm, it would be illegal for you not to get some sort of break during the day...

It doesn't sound like the employer is preventing him from taking a lunch break, rather that he's choosing not to get up and leave his position for the 10-15 min it would take to eat...

OP, What kind of sales position is this where the flow of customers is so constant that you are unable to risk being away from your post because you don't want to miss the opportunity for commission? I'm a few years out of my sales days but if there's a product that is in that high of demand then I'm thinking I may want to reconsider....

Edited... realized OP is male.
  • brockhampton
    brockhampton Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »

It doesn't sound like the employer is preventing her from taking a lunch break, rather that she's choosing not to get up and leave her position for the 10-15 min it would take to eat...

OP, What kind of sales position is this where the flow of customers is so constant that you are unable to risk being away from your post because you don't want to miss the opportunity for commission? I'm a few years out of my sales days but if there's a product that is in that high of demand then I'm thinking I may want to reconsider....

Are you in markets? If that is the case, your desk should have an intern who's usually in charge of going out to grab food for everyone during lunch? Even if that's not the case, there should be somebody on your desk who'd be able to cover your clients/products for at least 5-10 minutes at a time so you could eat a protein bar in the washroom?
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    bodwomon wrote: »

It doesn't sound like the employer is preventing her from taking a lunch break, rather that she's choosing not to get up and leave her position for the 10-15 min it would take to eat...

Are you in markets? If that is the case, your desk should have an intern who's usually in charge of going out to grab food for everyone during lunch? Even if that's not the case, there should be somebody on your desk who'd be able to cover your clients/products for at least 5-10 minutes at a time so you could eat a protein bar in the washroom?

Not all companies are going to be big enough to have interns. OP said nothing about the size of the company he works for. And even if said intern grabbed him some food, he's not been taking a break to eat it.
  • brockhampton
    brockhampton Posts: 211 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options

Not all companies are going to be big enough to have interns. OP said nothing about the size of the company he works for. And even if said intern grabbed him some food, he's not been taking a break to eat it.

That's why I asked if he was in markets and then gave suggestions upon the assumption he is. Obviously if he is not, then my suggestions are probably invalid.

EDIT: obviously brian is a he derp darwin award
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    Pack a lunch....Nuts, Trail mix, protein bars, something that will give you a boost, and won't take much time to eat, and won't go bad if it's warm.

Even customer facing, you should be able to eat a handful of nuts or a snack bar.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options

That's not necessarily true, and it sounds like OP's issue is more that he's busy, not that he's not permitted to take a break, and that he's not somewhere where he feels comfortable eating. Eating before and after work seems adequate if he doesn't like to eat at his desk in a public place, also.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »

That's not necessarily true, and it sounds like OP's issue is more that he's busy, not that he's not permitted to take a break, and that he's not somewhere where he feels comfortable eating. Eating before and after work seems adequate if he doesn't like to eat at his desk in a public place, also.

https://www.dol.gov/whd/overtime/fs17a_overview.pdf

See the administrative/Computer/office exemptions.
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    Clif or protein bar dipped in peanut butter is possibly the quickest way to get meal-level calories in a pinch. (For added convenience, Jif also sells boxes of peanut butter in small 270-calorie tubs). (no prep time, very quick to eat - it's my go to if I am particularly busy).
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    If you eat two meals at the end of your day you should easily be able to consume a safe amount of calories. I believe MFP has 1500 as the minimum recommended for men? Make your shake 500 calories, which should be easy enough with the right add ins, have a 700 calorie dinner, and eat a 300 calorie snack later in the evening, bang, done. The frequently given guidelines to avoid eating late are for people with typical schedules who tend to overeat late at night, not for people who are having trouble not starving themselves.
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    Example of a thick shake with 500 calories:

1 frozen banana about 100
    1 square Lindt 85% dark chocolate 58
    2 tbsp peanut butter 190
    1 cup Greek yogurt 110

Total 458 - and that's before adding milk, juice, or sugar to taste
  • DebLaBounty
    DebLaBounty Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    You'll be more productive if you fuel your body.
  • bwalker1316
    bwalker1316 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much for your insights everyone! Too many posts to individually respond to but you'll be happy to know I'm on a break - 15 minutes before I finish - but eating nonetheless!

Thanks for all of the advice!
  • OliveGirl128
    Options
    Example of a thick shake with 500 calories:

1 frozen banana about 100
    1 square Lindt 85% dark chocolate 58
    2 tbsp peanut butter 190
    1 cup Greek yogurt 110

Total 458 - and that's before adding milk, juice, or sugar to taste

And you could throw in chia, flax, sunflower, pumpkin, or hemp seeds to get in even more calories!
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options

That's why I asked if he was in markets and then gave suggestions upon the assumption he is. Obviously if he is not, then my suggestions are probably invalid.

EDIT: obviously brian is a he derp darwin award

Ah, when you quoted WinoGelato, it seemed like you were asking her if she was in markets. And then confusion erupted.