Housework/Cooking etc

Options
kclewis416
kclewis416 Posts: 79 Member
I have a pretty sedentary office job so to lose the final 5-10 lbs I am at 1200 calories per day, but the minute I am at home with my 2 kids it is go go go go go.... So, for at least 3 hours a day (minimum) I am always on my feet, cooking, cleaning, laundry, bathing kids, up and down the stairs etc..

I noticed under exercise they actually have general house work as an option... does anyone else log this? I am generally always around 200-300 calories above my goal on the days that I do not go to the gym/workout. For accurate readings should I be logging this.. even if its an under estimate of 2 hours of cleaning or housework?

Thanks.

Replies

• Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,644 Member
    Options
    I don't log it... I'm a SAHM of 5. I just let my sports watch count the steps, but I don't log it as separate exercise.
  • kclewis416
    Options
    lol - am i reaching hard for this one? :D:D
  • dutchandkiwi
    dutchandkiwi Posts: 1,389 Member
    Options
    I don't loge them I know some that do, but I Find that they get absorbed in the general walking/steps and overestimate of sporty exercise on MFP. When I don't log them my fitbit and MFP tend to be within 10% of each other Logging them woud have me overestimate my deficit
  • tobehappy2017
    tobehappy2017 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    From what i read,going lower than 1200 per day is also not a good choice(including the exercise calories).If you have the time,may be do trial and error.Log the calories for 2-3 weeks and see if you are losing/gaining? Depending on the outcome,you can decide whether to skip them/add them to the log.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    Those types of things are accounted for in your daily activity. Do not log housework and such as exercise. If you're losing weight too rapidly then you might want to consider upping your activity level.
  • DebLaBounty
    DebLaBounty Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    You might consider changing your setting from "sedentary" to "lightly active."
  • jennybearlv
    jennybearlv Posts: 1,519 Member
    Options
    I'm a housewife, so housework is a big chumk of my daily activity. I find it much easier to wear a fitness tracker.
  • Morgaath
    Morgaath Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    Maybe just wear a fitness tracker? My fitbit charge has a heartrate monitor and pedometer.

Or, let your smart phone do it. Not 100% accurate, but it lets you have a clue as to how active you were each day.
    Lots of free apps that will count steps, track workouts, etc.

Meanwhile, I want to get a fitbit again. Destroyed my last one when I smacked it on something while on a river. Broke a seal and it got water in it.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    That kind of stuff is included in my activity level. Even though I have a desk job, I set my activity level to light active to account for the fact that when I get home I'm doing lots of stuff...chasing kids...yard work...fixing this or that, etc.
  • kclewis416
    Options
    thanks everyone - I will not add it!
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
    Options
    I agree, fitness tracker or lightly active will give you a better idea.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    You were sedentary, now you're not - so change your activity setting.

Beware if you set an aggressive weight loss goal it may not be completely reflected in your total if you have been hitting the 1200 minimum.
  • kclewis416
    Options
    I have always had an office job, and have always been going going going at home in the morning and after work... I think I will just leave it at sedentary and 1200 and not log the daily housework.

Out of curiosity - If I did change my status to being more active.. would that mean MFP would recommend 1300 calories per day (or so) to get my weight loss vs 1200 that it currently recommends??
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    kclewis416 wrote: »
    I have always had an office job, and have always been going going going at home in the morning and after work... I think I will just leave it at sedentary and 1200 and not log the daily housework.

Out of curiosity - If I did change my status to being more active.. would that mean MFP would recommend 1300 calories per day (or so) to get my weight loss vs 1200 that it currently recommends??

Yes, your activity level setting is figured into the calorie target.
  • kclewis416
    Options
    Thank you.
  • ChristopherLimoges
    ChristopherLimoges Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    Calculate the differences then add that together towards your rmr/bmr(base line physical fitness activities aren't usually included in most rmr/bmr calculations.) This will most likely lead to a more desirable outcome. The initial result is also always adjustable, if you feel that you're consuming too much or not enough you can add or subtract the carbohydrates, and fats.
  • kclewis416
    Options
    ^^ any way to dumb that down for me.. ? :)
  • animatorswearbras
    animatorswearbras Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    I have an office job and do a lot less at home then you have described and walk to work which is a mile from my house, I've made my settings lightly active and am losing at the rate I set. We have the same amount to lose (only a few pounds) so remember to not put your weight loss settings any higher than a pound a week or ideally half a pound a week, (I try to stick to half a pound as I'm trying to retain muscle) :)

If you're struggling on 1200 I say bump it up to a comfortable amount no need to punish yourself, personally I find if I restrict too much I end up yo-yoing and giving up because it's too difficult to keep it up. Good luck x