Spartan Race...as a severely not small person?

Options
RandomMandaPanda
RandomMandaPanda Posts: 6 Member
edited July 2017 in Chit-Chat
Hey, so I'm signed up to do a Spartan Sprint Team thing...only problem is I've about as much strength as a potato and am pretty much a 280lb potato. So, yeah...the only other thing is, how many disgusted looks or comments should I be expecting?

Replies

• Finkelstien
    Finkelstien Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    None. People will cheer you on and hope you'll finish. That's how it works.

exactly that
  • gearhead426hemi
    gearhead426hemi Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    You won't get anything but encouragement from the other racers. Just get out there and do it!
  • Volbeat79
    Volbeat79 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    *kitten* them!
  • captainfantastic94
    captainfantastic94 Posts: 1,745 Member
    Options
    Hey, so I'm signed up to do a Spartan Sprint Team thing...only problem is I've about as much strength as a potato and am pretty much a 280lb potato. So, yeah...the only other thing is, how many disgusted looks or comments should I be expecting?

If anyone gives you *kitten* your team will stick up for you, you are there you are participating just like they are, thats all there is to it
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

so whats your training plan?
  • Kintsugi_Haikyo
    Kintsugi_Haikyo Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    The Spartan race sounds like soooooooo much fun! I would love to do it.
  • caco_ethes
    caco_ethes Posts: 11,962 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    I can appreciate self-deprecation as much as the next guy, but it actually took my breath away to see you talk about yourself this way. Girl, be kind to yourself. Don't call yourself ugly things.

Major respect for signing up for one of those races.
  • blakejohn
    blakejohn Posts: 1,129 Member
    Options
    Be the best potato they have even seen and smash it.
  • esjones12
    esjones12 Posts: 1,363 Member
    Options
    You will receive help and encouragement on course! I would recommend finding a reputable trainer or online program to help you start training. Definitely work on nutrition, shedding pounds is going to help you more than anything else. I would also start walking a lot (save running for after you drop some pounds) and start some body weight movements (yoga/weights/etc). You don't want to overdo it and injure yourself, but without knowing your current physical state and putting you through tests - I cant recommend anything in particular. Just be careful, and get excited. You will have a ton of fun at the race :)

Feel free to add me or message me for more info.

PS - hopefully none of that sounded rude...wasn't meant to be!
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    I haven't had a chance to go yet, but If you want to finish, you'll finish.

IF you doubt that, look up more heart than scars.
  • blackjack74
    blackjack74 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    People at Spartan Race are not there to bullying. On the contrary. Go and have fun.
  • SomebodyWakeUpHIcks
    SomebodyWakeUpHIcks Posts: 3,836 Member
    Options
    I signed up for the Spartan bath

1960-spartacus-col_1728578i.jpg
  • Caporegiem
    Caporegiem Posts: 4,297 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options

You'll mash it, these people aren't just buttering you up. Don't forget to hydrate though, if it's hot and the sun's out you'll be baked and/or fried.
  • RandomMandaPanda
    Options
    Hey all! So unfortunately can I cannot participate in this race. I had to get surgery recently and it has completely put a stop on any training. However, the comments on this have given me the courage to sign up for one next year and train.
  • Inspirationalwaterjug
    Options
    Don't forget you can transfer your race to a later date; and even other people.
  • plaidshirtgirl
    plaidshirtgirl Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Your will is more important than what other people think.
  • Inspirationalwaterjug
    Options
    Your will is more important than what other people think.

Damn right vuo1oobi4aio.jpg

65 year old ultra runner! She was a beast.