What Makes You Awesome?

Options
I love running in large marathons. It’s like being in the NFL without the pads, hitting, cussing, kicking and eye gouges… you get the drift. Most of the large marathons have all the pomp and pageantry of an NFL game. These things are HUGE events. There’s bands, food, exhibits, jugglers, stilt walkers, unicyclers, people cheering for you from the side of the street and runners generally having a great time running their 26.2 miles.

During my last one in Austin, Texas I was running along with a pack of ladies minding my own business when this woman pops up ringing a cow bell and yells “Great job ladies! You are awesome!”

I kinda thought about that for a moment and then realized “Yeah. I am pretty awesome!” Here I am, a short, overweight woman running this race. I think that’s worth awesome praise!

The thing is, many people talk about losing weight or getting fit. Active MFP members are actually doing something to achieve their goals. Some are already there and many more are on their way. There are thousands of people who try for one day and then stop because it’s too hard. How many MFP members never logged in after their first day? You did. You logged in the first day, the second day, and so on. That is why you are awesome. It doesn’t matter what stage in the process you’re in… what matters is that you are on your way to achieving your goals.

AND… Awesomeness isn’t strictly for those getting and staying fit. No. Awesomeness is for the dad who takes care of the kids so the mom can have some ‘me’ time. Awesomeness is for the frail that just managed to walk a mile. Awesomeness is for those who tried and tried and could never lose weight and finally lost their first five pounds. Awesomeness is for those who sustained an injury and came back stronger. Awesomeness is for those who never let the soup of life get them down. AND Awesomeness is for those who help and encourage people while in need.

So tell me… what makes you awesome? :smile:

Replies

• Hoteffinmess
    Hoteffinmess Posts: 121
    Options
    What makes me awesome... let's see.

I am a recovered drug addict and a widowed mom of two kids with special needs. I am still finding the time to get healthy and lose the weight so I can be here for them since their father isn't! :)
  • jeanie✰
    jeanie✰ Posts: 127
    Options
    I'm awesome because even when I have days like today (oh crap! I'm over 39 calories AND that's after exercising) I can still find that little something to keep me going. It sounds silly, but I think it makes me awesome. And I'm also awesome because when I look at someone or talk to them, I can ALWAYS find something that makes THEM awesome, too.
  • methetree
    methetree Posts: 381
    Options
    Wow... amazing post. Thank you for reminding me that I am awesome.

My 21 month old grand daughter makes me awesome. I am raising her as a single person who didn't expect to be raising a toddler right now.... But she has inspired me to get flexible again, to get fit and healthy and to live as long as I can so that she has her nana whenever she needs her!!!

So, I am awesome nana!

But everyone here is awesome as the OP said!
  • karrenbennett
    Options
    What makes me awesome... let's see.

I am a recovered drug addict and a widowed mom of two kids with special needs. I am still finding the time to get healthy and lose the weight so I can be here for them since their father isn't! :)

That makes you incredibly awesome!
  • calderst
    calderst Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the post. :)
    I'm awesome bc when I decide I am going to do something, I do it. It may not happen right away, but it will happen.
  • rnrodo
    rnrodo Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    LOVE LOVE!!! Thanks for this post! And lets see....what makes me awesome?! I wash my daughters bottles(awesome), I thank everyone for what they do at work(awesome), and I make time for my family(awesome, awesome). Thanks again for this positive postt! :)
  • jeanie✰
    jeanie✰ Posts: 127
    Options
    Wow, reading all of these...you guys really are AWESOME!
  • karrenbennett
    Options

My 21 month old grand daughter makes me awesome. I am raising her as a single person who didn't expect to be raising a toddler right now.... But she has inspired me to get flexible again, to get fit and healthy and to live as long as I can so that she has her nana whenever she needs her!!!

So, I am awesome nana!

Grandparents raising grandchildren is a common theme these days. My mom is raised my sister's kids. It is an incredible sacrifice you are making. You are definitely awesome!
  • StevLL
    StevLL Posts: 921 Member
    Options
    Wow! Great post. I've never thought of myself as awesome, but after reading your post I will change that thought, cause I'm doing this daily and finding success and I get to do it along with my wife (hootsmamma) so it's fun too! I love the positive connections here in MFP land and the support and encouragement has helped me remember to be a kinder, nicer person to those around me and focus on the positive instead of the drama. Love your attitude thanks for reminding us to value ourselves. :bigsmile:
  • karrenbennett
    Options
    LOVE LOVE!!! Thanks for this post! And lets see....what makes me awesome?! I wash my daughters bottles(awesome), I thank everyone for what they do at work(awesome), and I make time for my family(awesome, awesome). Thanks again for this positive postt! :)

Congrats on being a new mom! Hurray for Awesome Mom! (and sexy ones too!)
  • basschick
    basschick Posts: 3,502 Member
    Options
    Great post and replies. You are all awesome! I've lost 45 pounds and I'm awesome for losing the first 35 on my own while working two jobs -- a full time one and a part time one -- and battling a chronic autoimmune sinus condition. At times it was hard and I thought I'd drop from exhaustion, but it's been worth it to be in the best shape I've ever been at age 41.
  • bmw4deb
    bmw4deb Posts: 1,325 Member
    Options
    I'm 45 now look 35 not 55 !! I have become addicted to badminton
    and I'm good !! played my sons tonight both at the same time, i beat them!
    there 23 and 26 and very active wahoo!!!
  • basschick
    basschick Posts: 3,502 Member
    Options
    I'm 45 now look 35 not 55 !! I have become addicted to badminton
    and I'm good !! played my sons tonight both at the same time, i beat them!
    there 23 and 26 and very active wahoo!!!

Badminton is so much fun! I set up a net in our back yard a few weeks ago. We played tonight until it got too dark to see anymore.
  • jwerman
    jwerman Posts: 176
    Options
    Thank you for posting this!! :)

I am awesome... because for the first time in years I am pushing my limits, finding new challenges and most of all facing some fears! Plus, I'm doing this with my hubby...who is definitely awesome for encouraging me every step of the way!
  • methetree
    methetree Posts: 381
    Options

So, I am awesome nana!

Grandparents raising grandchildren is a common theme these days. My mom is raised my sister's kids. It is an incredible sacrifice you are making. You are definitely awesome!

Thanks for this! I have up days and down days, but she is the sweetest kid with no one but me in the world (and my awesome mom).... it's nice to be an awesome grandma... especially one who is gonna be a hot awesome grandma once i meet my goal!