Hunger

Options
Hello :)
I've just started, 70lbs to get off so on just over 1200 cals and it's a struggle! For the first time in years I'm feeling hungry (yep, I know it's probably a good thing!) does anyone have tips for combatting it?
I need to do this, it needs to be sustainable so all help appreciated!
Thanks
Lou

Replies

• Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    Most people would be hungry on only 1200 calories. Maybe select a less aggressive goal?

Other than that play around with fat, fiber and protein levels. Be sure you're getting enough of each and find the combo that works for you to keep you more satisfied.
  • Yaranak
    Yaranak Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I started with the same calorie and weight loss goal as you! The first few weeks was definitely a struggle, so I chewed gum quite a bit, but later found out that it makes me even more hungry.

Later on, I learned which foods keep me full longer and ate those more often. Another trick was to make a big soup or stew with a lean meat (like ground turkey) and tons of veggies for lunch. This filled me up quite well! Another trick was to keep Finncrisp or similar rye crackers on hand, so I can snack on them and still maintain my daily calorie goal. They're an amazing source of fiber, so that's an added benefit. Generally, I tried to avoid calorie dense foods and opt for larger quantities of foods which were lighter in calories so that my stomach felt full.

Hope you find something that works for you!
  • SaraydaB
    SaraydaB Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Hi! From experience I can say that choosing healthier foods gives you room to eat more and feel more satiated. I am eating 1200 calories and it has worked great.

And you can also have chia water.... 1lt of water, 1 tbsp. (or two) of chia and squeeze a lemon... It taste good and keeps you full.
  • Iheartrunning36
    Iheartrunning36 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I have that to lose and am successful on the same calorie goals. I am nine weeks in and have lost 19.2 pounds. It can be done, but it is going to take a change in attitude about food, exercise and you can't not accept defeat or let anything seem impossible. The first three weeks were the hardest, but if you gradually (not drastically) cut down your carbs, you will crave less and less of sweets and junk food or at least for me its that way. Don't mistake carb cutting for Keto diet, that's a one mission diet plan to failure. Add me as a friend if you want :)
  • DebLaBounty
    DebLaBounty Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    Drink lots of water throughout the day. Snacks: an apple and 1/2 ounce of cheddar cheese. A handful of raw almonds. Half of an avocado. A half cup of cottage cheese with salsa on top. I find that small amounts of protein and those "healthy" fats get me over the hump. Just be sure to log everything and see that you don't go over your calorie goal.
  • Old_Cat_Lady
    Old_Cat_Lady Posts: 1,193 Member
    Options
    If I only ate 1,200 I would be setting myself up for giving up or even a binge.
  • steveko89
    steveko89 Posts: 2,217 Member
    Options
    Others have already mentioned adjusting macros, I've found this helpful as well. I think the default settings go way too carb heavy which leaves your body wanting more proteins and fats, especially being at 1200. As another poster said, I'm not saying you have to go to an extreme with low/no carb like keto or Atkins tomfoolery, just dial them down.

Have to reiterate some other good points mentioned; this is a long process, stay consistent with sustainable improvements and you'll get where you want to be. Give your body some time to adjust too, may be some days in the first weeks you just have to power through but keep the big picture in mind. If you do have a misstep, brush it off, don't have two in a row and keep going.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,735 Member
    Options
    Besides experimenting with macro nutrients (within a healthy range) and specific food choices to find better satiation, you can experiment with timing of eating.

Different people do best on anything from one big meal a day to half a dozen small ones; you may do best with snacks (or not); you can try varying relative size of meals, too (big breakfast vs. big supper, that sort of thing).

Try a new approach for a couple of days; if it isn't better, try something else. Eventually, you'll find a better routine.

Satiation is very individual.
  • rmgnow
    rmgnow Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    Are you 70 lbs overweight or do you just want to lose 70 lbs?
    If youre 70 lbs over weight and you cosume just 1200 Cals a day, you could pass out.
    You could actually faint
    Because your body does not have the fuel to support your weight.

Even though I don't know your stats. 1200 is the lowest and not only do most people fail with that, but it just makes for a miserable time
  • CattOfTheGarage
    CattOfTheGarage Posts: 2,750 Member
    Options
    I agree 1200 seems very low, if you have 70lb to lose then you need a lot of calories to maintain that weight, so even if you aim to lose 2lb a week (which is a fast rate of loss) you should be able to eat more than 1200.

If you try to lose too fast, you are more likely to burn out and quit, plus you run a risk of deficiencies because your diet is so restrictive. Losing weight slower will allow you to eat more, have more variety and feel more satisfied, and you are more likely to be able to stick it for the long haul.

Hunger management strategies are still important, but the first step should be to make sure you are eating enough.
  • skybleu329
    skybleu329 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Ive done research and its "Leptin" that is in control of hunger. Im on Geodon which has helped TREMENDOUSLY with curbing my Bottomless Pit appetite. Im on a 900 and less calorie count at the moment. I honestly eat all day but "the right foods" maybe try stringbeans carrots snd lettuce as a snack in between your meals. I also use dexatrim which also decreases appetite. I kept fluctuating from 170 at being only 4"11 down to 155 back up again for the last 2 years from not being able to control my hunger until last month. I have to force myself to eat now i drink 10 cups a water per day sometimes even more. Everybodys body is different and you cant look at what helps me or anyone else as what is going to help you. It took me almost 2 years to find what worked for me. I kept a food diary and i track EVERY SINGLE DAY on my fitness pal even when i went 400 -600 calories well over my maximizing caloric intake. I can look back and see what i ate and it was cheesecakes to doughnuts and chocolate and all the crap you could think of. Especially near the period uuugh! Now im clean eating. 6 times a day small healthy meals. Down 4 inches from my arms and around the belly. Dont go by your weight and scale. Go by a sewing tape measure and documenting your progress that way? Its just a suggestion but find what works for you. Then youll knock that weight down to see its funeral!!!
  • perkymommy
    perkymommy Posts: 1,642 Member
    Options
    Most people would be hungry on only 1200 calories. Maybe select a less aggressive goal?

Other than that play around with fat, fiber and protein levels. Be sure you're getting enough of each and find the combo that works for you to keep you more satisfied.

I can't get mine to go any higher than 1200. I've tried changing up my choices on sedentary and how active I am but it always gives me 1200 no matter what I do. I also can't lose if I eat any more than that or if I eat my exercise points back.
  • ladyhusker39
    ladyhusker39 Posts: 1,406 Member
    Options
    DX2JX2 wrote: »
    What kind of deficit does 1200 calories a day get you? It might be too aggessive or something you want to ease yourself into (that is, lose at a lower rate at first and move to 1200 calories per day if you find extra motivation after seeing some results).

With 70 pounds to lose you've got to play the long game. 1200 calories isn't much food at all and is the absolute bare minimum you should eat regardless of your goals. Running a big deficit target doesn't matter if you can't stick with it for an extended period of time. Even at a loss rate of 2 pounds a week this is something you'll have to keep up for 8-9 months.

I would personally prefer a moderately challenging 12-13 months at 1500-1700 calories per day than a hellish 8-9 months at 1200 per day. Trust me, regardless of your loss rate you'll feel like a million bucks after the first 20 pounds comes off. The key is that you need to stick with a program long enough to get yourself there.

Good luck!

Couldn't say it better myself, so I'll just say do this.
  • SkimpyMrsCarter
    SkimpyMrsCarter Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Drink plenty of water, that may help
  • CaliMomTeach
    CaliMomTeach Posts: 745 Member
    Options
    Your body will get used to it. When I started this and had about 1400 calories a day, I felt like I wanted to chew on my own arm. It took a week or two, but it got easier. Now, I am readjusting to 1200 after gaining a few pounds after reaching my goal. I know I will be used to it in a matter of days. Just give it time and stick with it. It gets easier. Also, you can adjust it to lose 1.5 or 1 pound per week instead of 2 pounds per week and it will give you more calories. I lost something like 18 pounds the first 5 weeks or so tracking calories starting at 193 pounds, much more than it predicted I would lose.
  • HarryPro
    HarryPro Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I started my weight loss ADVENTURE when I got my 6'3" frame onto the scale at the doctor's office and saw 434lbs looking back at me. That day I decided to keep myself between 1500 and 1700 calories a day --- I am always hungry (possibly for the first time in my life) But I have been at it for 4 months now and I am down 75 lbs so far.

I find that a lot of Water (or Seltzer) before you sit down to eat does a pretty good job. I also feel like you can never have too many green veggies (Broccoli, Peppers, Spinach, green beans etc) they are low in calories and fill you up but be careful with Potatoes, Corn, Carrots, Beans, and Rice -- they are sneaky calorie carriers. Believe it or not you will get used to the smaller portions after a while.
  • skybleu329
    skybleu329 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I agree and thankyou at harrypro. I didnt know beans can be a sneaky on calories. I think you just helped me nail my plateau as of week and a half. How many calories of beans you think is good on a 4"11 frame female and im 164 at moment goal is 102lb .

I must say all your stories are so inspirational to me. This really helps because i just had some vanilla frosted icing off of the cake we have downstairs. Im hypoglycemic (low blood sugar) i needed quick sugar but now feeling guilty as ever.
  • CattOfTheGarage
    CattOfTheGarage Posts: 2,750 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    perkymommy wrote: »

I can't get mine to go any higher than 1200. I've tried changing up my choices on sedentary and how active I am but it always gives me 1200 no matter what I do. I also can't lose if I eat any more than that or if I eat my exercise points back.

How close are you to goal? If you're quite short, older and close to goal weight, 1200 may be something you are stuck with. However, the OP is 70lb above goal, so it's very unlikely she has to eat so little, and if she undereats for her current weight she will make trouble for herself.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    perkymommy wrote: »

you'll need to change your rate of loss.