22lbs down, 78 to go, walking only exercise

masterwilde
masterwilde Posts: 34 Member
so i thought i would post this discussion, as to prove the power of walking.

Im a 38 year old male from UK, i started my journey at 279 lbs. I have a bad shoulder thats had several surgeries and screwed up muscle/ligaments there, so weights are not ideal for me. a weak back and a dodgy knee means no running or jogging.

I am eating on average around 1750 calories per day over the course of each week. I dont drink alcohol but still drinking diet coke (i know bad)

I am walking around 17000 steps a day in total, but fit in at least 2 twenty minute walks and a bigger 50 minute walk in the evening, utilizing the outside world as my gym.

I guess i am looking for others that are using walking/rambling as their exercise

Replies

• slowclydesdale
    slowclydesdale Posts: 9 Member
    A healthy diet + walking will probably get the job done. Just be consistent. Good luck! :)
  • 21ttomlinson
    21ttomlinson Posts: 20 Member
    Well done you, please feel free to add me
  • spngnetwork
    spngnetwork Posts: 41 Member
    Just starting out on a regular walking routine. We have a walking track near my office, so I'm out there at least 3 times a week. I also changed up my eating habits, going on 3 weeks strong and I feel great!
  • masterwilde
    So to update, yesterday i walked 20187 steps and kept to 1654 calorie intake. Am feeling good, lots more energy.

today, i have started with a good walk for 35 minutes clocking up over 5000 steps in the pouring rain. Breakfast to be a warm porridge.

21ttomlinson - have added you

cherykdumais - 86 pounds WOW congrats

spngnetwork - walking track sounds good, i have a park outside my house, and a woodland trek about a mile away.
  • slimyslimgym
    slimyslimgym Posts: 16 Member
    Walking is absolutely amazing! When I lived by myself I walked my dog every morning and night, plus often walked to my dad's house (about 4 miles round trip). I wasn't keeping track of my diet but I lost 30lbs in a very short amount of time. I'm slowly getting back into the walking groove with my dog and now daughter.
  • masterwilde
    slimyslimgym - well done, my dog died 2 years ago unfortunately, but he is with me on every walk.

Ive done 20200 steps today and had 1500 calories, so im hopeful of the same energy levels tomorrow. Only 3 days to my weigh in, so hopeful of a few more pounds gone
  • Damien_Scott
    Damien_Scott Posts: 108 Member
    My SO an I have lost 120 and 72 lbs each with no exercise beyond the walking we did normally throughout the day. every little bit of increased heart rate helps though. We've kept at it for two years now and are getting ready to start at a gym full time to tone up.

Keep your calorie intake low and burn when you can, you've got this!
  • bluesmama5000
    bluesmama5000 Posts: 9 Member
    so i thought i would post this discussion, as to prove the power of walking.

Im a 38 year old male from UK, i started my journey at 279 lbs. I have a bad shoulder thats had several surgeries and screwed up muscle/ligaments there, so weights are not ideal for me. a weak back and a dodgy knee means no running or jogging.

I am eating on average around 1750 calories per day over the course of each week. I dont drink alcohol but still drinking diet coke (i know bad)

I am walking around 17000 steps a day in total, but fit in at least 2 twenty minute walks and a bigger 50 minute walk in the evening, utilizing the outside world as my gym.

I guess i am looking for others that are using walking/rambling as their exercise

• bluesmama5000
    bluesmama5000 Posts: 9 Member
    I also use walking and lost 16 pounds in a month. Of course, I know it will slow down this month. I can't go in the sun so I walk to dvd's called "away the pounds" by Leslie Sansone indoors. It is cardio and muscle training all in one. Good luck in your journey masterwilde.
  • paulwatts747
    paulwatts747 Posts: 60 Member
    Walking is tremendous, but it's hard to get accurate calorie burn figures. MFP you can't believe. Fitbit you can't believe. So do be careful about eating back the walking calories.
  • divinewandererlane
    divinewandererlane Posts: 8 Member
    I congratulate you on walking so much! That's a lot of steps there and it is difficult to get an accurate calorie burn but don't let that deter you. The fact that you have these issues with your shoulder and knees and yet you still make the effort is very inspirational, keep it up! :smiley:
  • masterwilde
    paulwatts/divinewander i agree that the calories are wildly inaccurate on mfp. I log only half the walks and reduce the calories down.

Ive realised the clarity in my mind when out walking, its actually really good so sort out my thoughts on a walk and i love that as i can see that continuing through life.

So far today one morning walk for 4000 steps prior to work.
  • brittdee88
    brittdee88 Posts: 1,874 Member
    I plan to start a walking routine next week. I have definitely had good results with walking in the past, and now that I am moving from an apartment to a townhouse, I can walk outside around the neighborhood. I'd like to do a daily early morning walk, and that will likely be the only exercise I will be doing in August.
    Feel free to add me, and/or if you create some sort of walkers' accountability thread, I'd be happy to join!