On 1200 calories a day - anybody else?

Options
13»

Replies

• rahimlj
    rahimlj Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Hey l lost about 7 lbs and then gained weight again like within the last few weeks after eating pretty crappy foods. l want to drop 50 lbs. l used to be about 129 and pretty slim. lm trying to build muscle and drop weight. currently trying to have around 1200-1500 calories a day. fresh start lol.
  • WelshFoxy
    WelshFoxy Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    This is all great, guys! It's so good to meet other people who are trying to stick to the same goals. <3
  • rahimlj
    rahimlj Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    definitely :)
  • tdaniels54
    tdaniels54 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I'm on a 1200 cal diet until I reach my goal. I'm almost there. Please feel free to add me as a friend. I've lost 70 lbs over a period of 12 years, the last 20 over the last year. I understand the struggles associated with weight loss and maintenance. You have my support.
  • vercampi
    vercampi Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Keeping around 1100 a day + 45 minutes cardio - good results - glad to be here with you if you'll have me
  • kokonani
    kokonani Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    Is 1200 your actual number at deficit when you calculate all your stats, or are you just choosing 1200 because it's a low enough number for loss? I think it's way too low unless you are very sedentary and/ or very short and small to begin with. I'm 5'4" 115lbs and I eat 1500-1700. With calories so low, you will end up hungry with low energy, despite quick weight loss.
  • heatherj0y
    heatherj0y Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I've been on a pretty low calorie diet and lost over 12 kilos. I think once you are post menopausal your body really needs to be deprived otherwise it just manages without burning fat.

I find lots of veges is my solution. because I'm a bit lazy I use mcains frozen winter vegetable. I have them three meals a day.
    in the morning I defrost them and then mix an egg and extra egg whites though it to make a sort of omlette. Actually it looks more like a stir fry with bits of egg in it. I eat some and then put the rest in two lunch boxes. I eat one lunch box at lunch time and one either at home time or if I'm hungry earlier that is what I eat.

I then have a dinner of protein, small carb and more veges.

I feel if I bust out and eat a cheat it's not the end of the world. I reckon that's how skinny people eat. Low calorie most of the time with the odd bust out.
  • MrsDan1667
    MrsDan1667 Posts: 76 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    kokonani wrote: »
    Is 1200 your actual number at deficit when you calculate all your stats, or are you just choosing 1200 because it's a low enough number for loss? I think it's way too low unless you are very sedentary and/ or very short and small to begin with. I'm 5'4" 115lbs and I eat 1500-1700. With calories so low, you will end up hungry with low energy, despite quick weight loss.

It's the number MFP gave me when I put in my stats/goals of 5'3 122 (CW.... my SW was 140) sedentary and with a goal of 1pound loss per week. I put sedentary because I average 3000-5000 steps a day BEFORE any intenial exercise and I only exercise 3 to maybe 4 days a week. And that's usually just a 30 min walk.

So, I'm short, sedentary and I'm 33. 1200 is a lot for me now bc I've never been big on breakfast. I usually unintentionally IF a 16:8 so I get hungry around 1pm and eat until about 9 just before bed. Lots of veggies, lean meats and a couple pieces of fruit with a measured portion of whatever we have for dinner. Also drink 3L of water a day.

I've lost 19 pounds since 1/1/17 and have more energy now than I did before.

I would consider you short and small but I think if I were to eat 1700 a day I'd gain. My tdee according to my Fitbit is about 1575 a day.