Keto to Vegan

2»

Replies

• OliveGirl128
    OliveGirl128 Posts: 801 Member
    edited July 2017
    Did you watch What the Health by any chance lol?

Honestly it doesn't matter how you eat, keto, iifym, vegan... what you need to be successful is a caloric deficit. I wouldn't argue any one of those diets is healthier than the other. Consider adherence more than the orthorexic notion that one is better than the other.

As someone who's been all over the place, from primal to plant based, I agree with this completely. There's nothing wrong with experimenting with different methods to see what works best with your preferences/lifestyle, but don't get too bogged down by all the claims that the 'gurus' make. For weight loss it comes down to a calorie deficit. For good health, it comes down to all sorts of things- some within our control but lots of stuff that isn't.

Figure out what's realistic and sustainable for you, and you enjoy doing. These are going to be the biggest factors in deciding if you'll be successful at this whole thing or not :)
  • ilovelucy711
    ilovelucy711 Posts: 381 Member
    I think this question has been running through my mind for the past 12 years. I have gone Lacto-ovo vegetarian for few years which is not too hard. I don't really have a taste for meat in general; for example, chicken I can live without. However, in the past 2 1/2 years I went from a health nut to eating junk food and gaining 45 pounds. I found myself extremely unhappy with a 30 pound belly. So, I decided to join a "box" crossfit gym and get my health back on track. With crossfit I saw immediate changes as far as inches coming off but my scale steady. I am not too concern about weight, but I know being 192 pounds for a 5'4 women is not healthy. I decided to do the Keto diet which was a WILD experience. I ate a lot of fatty food for one week and lost 5 pounds.

I did more research and yes Keto is recommended as a short term option. However, after a year there is no difference in losing weight than having a regular diet to lose weight. The shocking aspect is that a Keto diet that is followed for a long period of time can cause cardiovascular diseases. I am no expert this is my conclusion based on my research. Long story short I am no longer doing the Keto diet. I do not want a short term option for weight loss. I want to change my lifestyle, so I can slowly lose weight and gain muscle. I want to be the best healthy version of ME. Here I am with the decision that plant based diet is what is best for me. The challenge I see is how can I maintain my protein macros when I cannot eat any wheat, flour, rice, etc. Removing wheat, flour, and rice has cleared my skin and I don't get any more allergies. I know my post is lengthy and I thank you for your time! Is anyone going through the same dilemma? What are you doing for protein? :)

Thank you!! My friend wants me to do keto with her and though I agree we need more healthy fats and less bad carbs, I don't think covering everything in mayo or eating pork rinds is good for you!
  • court_alacarte
    court_alacarte Posts: 219 Member
    I think this question has been running through my mind for the past 12 years. I have gone Lacto-ovo vegetarian for few years which is not too hard. I don't really have a taste for meat in general; for example, chicken I can live without. However, in the past 2 1/2 years I went from a health nut to eating junk food and gaining 45 pounds. I found myself extremely unhappy with a 30 pound belly. So, I decided to join a "box" crossfit gym and get my health back on track. With crossfit I saw immediate changes as far as inches coming off but my scale steady. I am not too concern about weight, but I know being 192 pounds for a 5'4 women is not healthy. I decided to do the Keto diet which was a WILD experience. I ate a lot of fatty food for one week and lost 5 pounds.

I did more research and yes Keto is recommended as a short term option. However, after a year there is no difference in losing weight than having a regular diet to lose weight. The shocking aspect is that a Keto diet that is followed for a long period of time can cause cardiovascular diseases. I am no expert this is my conclusion based on my research. Long story short I am no longer doing the Keto diet. I do not want a short term option for weight loss. I want to change my lifestyle, so I can slowly lose weight and gain muscle. I want to be the best healthy version of ME. Here I am with the decision that plant based diet is what is best for me. The challenge I see is how can I maintain my protein macros when I cannot eat any wheat, flour, rice, etc. Removing wheat, flour, and rice has cleared my skin and I don't get any more allergies. I know my post is lengthy and I thank you for your time! Is anyone going through the same dilemma? What are you doing for protein? :)

Thank you!! My friend wants me to do keto with her and though I agree we need more healthy fats and less bad carbs, I don't think covering everything in mayo or eating pork rinds is good for you!

You can still be keto without covering everything in mayo and eating pork rinds...
  • lessofu
    lessofu Posts: 4 Member
    Try looking to different ethnicities for fun recipes and protein ideas. Making tacos with different types of beans and varying the veggies you add can be very rewarding. Avocados pack a fair amount of protein and if you are not having other fats can be just what you need. Quinoa pasta with tons of veggies and/or your own inspired sauce is yummy.