Should I skip workouts if my muscles are really sore or just

Options
I've been working out like crazy! Everyday I run on the treadmill, then do an ab workout and strength training routine for my arms. I am seeing results but i am getting very sore. Mostly in my abs and upper arms. Do I just skip working out those muscle groups and continue to do my cardio? Or is it ok to stick to my routine even though it hurts. I dont want to do anything that is going to hurt my body but i also dont want to "cheat" on my diet/ fitness routine. Any suggestions?

Replies

• beccau_20
    beccau_20 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    I personaly think you need to give your muscles a rest. Still get some cardio in, though maybe not quite as intense.
  • britterbrittney
    britterbrittney Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    bump because I wanna see everyone's thoughts. I've wondered the same.
  • britterbrittney
    britterbrittney Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    Edit....for some reason it posted twice.
  • MereMe
    MereMe Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    Great question! I push through the pain but am afraid I may injure myself... I'm curious to see other responses!
  • jfluchere
    jfluchere Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    how sore is really sore, what are you doing? you dont want to get over use injuries or injure your shoulder. 3 days of heavy hitting major muscles is best. your body is still burning more calories the next day in after burn from a good strength workout. Glutamine supplement will help not be so sore.
  • agleckle
    agleckle Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    I'm under the impression that if you are really sore you need to give your muscles a break... if they never get a rest then they dont have time to repair, recover and get stronger...
  • Sugs94
    Sugs94 Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    I had a trainer at one point. He said that you should be sore, but not miserably sore for 1-2 days after a decent workout. If you need meds ie: Ibuprofen/tylenol just to rest at night or are having trouble doing things because your muscles feel so fatigued you have overdone it. He had me doing 2-3 strength training/week and aerobic or rest in-between because he felt a recovery period benefited the muscles.
  • RagtimeLady
    RagtimeLady Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    You can do cardio every day, but give it a rest one day a week. Weights, strength training - things that make your muscles sore, should only be done every OTHER day - your muscles need a rest because that work tears them down. Every day, I do 1/2 hour cardio, then without cooling down, either upper or lower body weights, two sets, then back to cardio for 1/2 hour.

So to answer your question, yes, if your muscles are really sore, give them a rest. Work them in groups and rotate them. JMHO
  • slp2112
    slp2112 Posts: 107
    Options
    yeah a rest day is probably good. though if the idea if taking a day off sort of freaks you out (which it totally can for me - plus I'm usually in a better mood/feel better/sleep better on days when I do some form of exercise) then instead of a rest day you could have a yoga day or something. Whenever I'm in recovery after several months of really intense workouts/training for a tri, etc. my trainer suggests hot yoga - all that sweating helps get rid of the toxins in your body (e.g. lactic acid, which is contributing to your soreness).
  • jamielise2
    jamielise2 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    A light workout like a swim followed by the hot tub helps me when I'm really sore. But yeah, if you can't move at all give yourself a rest. You should be taking one day a week of workouts anyway to let your body recover. I only lift weights every other day, and swim on the "off" days. Sunday I don't do any workout. Seems to be working for me.
  • luminescence
    luminescence Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I usually stop exercising that area of my body if I'm in pain. Then when I'm no longer in pain I do a harder workout or go longer on the one I did before.

You don't want to be in constant pain from exercising, but a little pain is good - it just means your muscles are becoming stronger!
  • jadery24
    jadery24 Posts: 53
    Options
    It's good to have a day of rest from strength training so your muscles can have time to recover. They need that time to build wonderful, new muscle tissue. I'd take a day's rest from the strength training, and if you're really sore, take a break altogether.
  • TrevaNadreau
    TrevaNadreau Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Rest em. You don't build muscles by working out, you destroy them... it's the rest in between that builds the muscle fibers back up. Generally speaking, you'd want to give at least a days rest (preferably 2) in between workouts depending on which muscle groups you're using and how hard you're training them... Professional body builders will train their bodies in sections, so even though they are at the gym seven days a week, they are allowing six days full rest per muscle group.

If you're doing compound exercises, meaning you're engaging multiple muscle groups, you should alternate days between strength and cardio, and just cardio... in a nutshell, feeling a little bit of leftover burn is generally okay during your workout, but if you're engaging the same muscle groups every day, then you're actually hurting your muscle-building by not resting fully.
  • schibs
    schibs Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I personally always work through it. Avoid what hurts. Usually loosens me up actually.
  • catwrangler
    catwrangler Posts: 918 Member
    Options
    You can do cardio every day, but give it a rest one day a week. Weights, strength training - things that make your muscles sore, should only be done every OTHER day - your muscles need a rest because that work tears them down. Every day, I do 1/2 hour cardio, then without cooling down, either upper or lower body weights, two sets, then back to cardio for 1/2 hour.

So to answer your question, yes, if your muscles are really sore, give them a rest. Work them in groups and rotate them. JMHO
    agreeance
    Rest em. You don't build muscles by working out, you destroy them... it's the rest in between that builds the muscle fibers back up. Generally speaking, you'd want to give at least a days rest (preferably 2) in between workouts depending on which muscle groups you're using and how hard you're training them... Professional body builders will train their bodies in sections, so even though they are at the gym seven days a week, they are allowing six days full rest per muscle group.

If you're doing compound exercises, meaning you're engaging multiple muscle groups, you should alternate days between strength and cardio, and just cardio... in a nutshell, feeling a little bit of leftover burn is generally okay during your workout, but if you're engaging the same muscle groups every day, then you're actually hurting your muscle-building by not resting fully.
    absolutely true

I recommend the book New Rules Of Lifting For Women
  • afwg1979
    afwg1979 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    First, congratulations for working out - exercise is a CRUCIAL part of weight loss, even more important than counting calories (in my opinion).

What you want to do is continue to work out, but at a gentler pace, until the pain subsides. If you're running, walk. If you're working your arms/upper body on a daily basis, switch to every other day and do go lighter/less reps - go easy. Don't stop - just be very gentle. Soak those sore muscles (warm bath, jacuzzi, etc.).

If possible, switch to exercising in a pool (to avoid impact).

I'll be 57 in September and I used to be super fit in my 20s and 30s. I started MFP last Friday, on a whim. After using the food and exercise logs, I got hooked - I knew I was ready for a comeback. Before joining MFP, I was on a walking program, up to 40 minutes. I then increased my time to 60 minutes, adding alternate days of weight training for my legs and arms. I also do one minute of situps. My key concern is listening to my body: I've always been prone to shin splints. If I get a shin splint, it's crippling, so I am extremely careful about the way I walk, the stride, the impact, etc. Today was my 8th day of wallking 60 minutes (plus the weights/situps). I'm a wee sore, but nothing a little massage and warm bath can't fix. My plan is to continue this plan through August. (I don't get bored with repetitive routines.) If I'm still losing, I won't change a thing. If I hit a plateau, then I'll incorporate adding stationary bike minutes.

Again, don't stop - stopping will just throw you off track.

I agree with jfluchere's suggestion to add a glutamine supplement; I do. (At my age, I take herbal supplements instead of prescriptions.)

Love yourself. Care for yourself. Be gentle with yourself. But always push yourself. To be your best self - always :flowerforyou:
  • afwg1979
    afwg1979 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    I agree - alternate days. Legs one day; arms the next . . .
  • sleepytexan
    sleepytexan Posts: 3,138 Member
    Options
    I will work out with muscle soreness, but be careful with joint pain.
  • STACEYaLK
    STACEYaLK Posts: 4
    Options
    Depends on how sore you are... Maybe try alternating, one day a heavy workout and one day an easier workout. You'll still see results, maybe not as quickly, and not be so sore. :)