Healthy snacks?

Options

Replies

• nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    HarryPro wrote: »
    So about protein bars... i dont really understand why i would eat it them if im trying to lose weight? Can someone shed some light?

A large amount of protein "in theory" keeps you fuller longer, they tend to a source of good fats and fiber. Basically, they are the Whole Wheat Bread of Candy Bars -- they have just as many calories as a candy bar, they just have more nutrient rich stuff. No people on diets shouldn't be eating them. I have found in my diet adventure that I am wearing my skeptical hat ALL. THE. TIME.

Yeah, i thought they were really for people who were trying to build muscle.
    I have looked at them and thought they were high in calories and not the best snack for me.

Higher protein while trying to lose weight will not add weight to you, it may actually help protect the muscle mass you have. That being said, if the calories don't fit, then obviously it won't work for you. Personally I find them nasty, but will supplement with a protein powder smoothie in the mornings when I don't have time for an actual meal.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    Those protein bars are like 200+ calories a Bar. They are not for people on a diet AT BEST they are a meal substitute.

I used to eat Quest bars a few times a week on my way to work (breakfast later). Didn't prevent me from losing weight since they fit into my calories and helped me reach my protein goal.
  • malibu927
    Options
    malibu927 wrote: »
    I used to eat Quest bars a few times a week on my way to work (breakfast later). Didn't prevent me from losing weight since they fit into my calories and helped me reach my protein goal.

What did you have to remove from your daily meals to budget for that 200 calorie candy bar BEFORE breakfast? Pardon me if having breakfast before breakfast doesn't sound all that appealing for a diet unless you're a hobbit.

I worked 6-2:30 those days and ate breakfast about 10:30. That was to tide me over until then. I work retail and regularly eat 1800+ calories a day.
  • nutmegoreo
    Options
    nutmegoreo wrote: »
    You have some interesting ideas on what people on diets should do. If those calories fit, and it suits her needs, there is nothing wrong with it. If she doesn't want/like them, then there are plenty of other options. Demonizing of foods isn't necessary.

So believing that a person on a diet should avoid calorie heavy candy is an 'interesting' idea? I was replying to a poster who had initially asked peoples thoughts on protein bars -- I think I answered that -- how other people choose to take it is on them. As far as demonizing food .. well .. I am not exactly sure what that means.

I would hardly call a protein bar a candy bar. You said yourself in an earlier post that it has more nutritional value. Your chosen terminology is where the demonizing comes in. "Calorie heavy candy" referring to a protein bar is hyperbolic at best.
  • HarryPro
    HarryPro Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    http://www.health.harvard.edu/blog/are-protein-bars-really-just-candy-bars-in-disguise-201512158848

"When you get right down to it, a Snickers bar isn’t all that much worse than many nutrition bars. For example, the difference in calories shrinks when the portion sizes are equalized. And the protein content of these bars won’t make much difference for the person who already eats a well-balanced diet with other good sources of dietary protein. Nevertheless, I can’t recommend a daily candy bar, although the occasional splurge probably won’t harm you."
  • malibu927
    Options
    malibu927 wrote: »
    I worked 6-2:30 those days and ate breakfast about 10:30. That was to tide me over until then. I work retail and regularly eat 1800+ calories a day.

I see. I work the same hours, 6 - 230. I eat my 150 -to- 200 cal breakfast at 530 and that gets me to 10 when I have an 80 cal Greek yogurt. I still find essentially eating TWO breakfasts strange and wouldn't recommend someone eat a calorie rich candy bar while being on a diet.

How is that a candy bar? I ate it to give me enough energy for the first part of the morning and to hit my protein goal on days I lifted. Other days I ate a banana. Then on my lunch break I'd get a Jimmy Dean breakfast bowl and cup of Greek yogurt.
  • nutmegoreo
    edited July 2017
    Options
    nutmegoreo wrote: »
    I would hardly call a protein bar a candy bar. You said yourself in an earlier post that it has more nutritional value. Your chosen terminology is where the demonizing comes in. "Calorie heavy candy" referring to a protein bar is hyperbolic at best.

Perhaps that is the problem, you wouldn't call it a candy bar -- you would lie to yourself that this was some kinda health food. It is the EXACT same thing with Whole Wheat Bread, people eat handfuls of it and then don't understand why they are gaining weight. Because it is bread, it has the same calories as white bread its just passed off as "Healthy" because it is slightly more nutritious. Powerbars have a lot of nutritional value, yes, it is a very nutritious candy. It is still loaded with calories that most dieters (in my opinion) don't need. Go to the store and take a look where they Stock the protein bars, they stock them next to the candy right? I wonder why that is?

I'm not lying to myself and saying they're healthy, I'm saying context matters. I don't see how considering a protein bar within the context of an overall healthy diet is problematic. Likewise with bread. There is an alternative to eating "handfuls" of it. Moderation. It's a wonderful thing to learn.
  • Itisneeded
    Itisneeded Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    I don't snack either, I generally save calories for bigger meals and dessert. But - I don't consider chocolate/icecream a snack.. . It's something I have as a treat or dessert. If I feel like those, I have those.

Wow! You're alot better than me.. dont you ever fill up your car with petrol and get tempted by a choccy or ice cream?

No.... They cost double or triple what I could get in a supermarket, and I'm normally on the way home, or to the gym or work. I also made a "no eating in the car" rule to stop random snacking and mindless eating on the run...

Yes, I did that too, and it really made a difference. No more Starbucks for me either. I love my own coffee now, just simple with a bit of milk
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,682 Member
    Options
    Momepro wrote: »
    I don't snack either, I generally save calories for bigger meals and dessert. But - I don't consider chocolate/icecream a snack.. . It's something I have as a treat or dessert. If I feel like those, I have those.

Wow! You're alot better than me.. dont you ever fill up your car with petrol and get tempted by a choccy or ice cream?

No.... They cost double or triple what I could get in a supermarket, and I'm normally on the way home, or to the gym or work. I also made a "no eating in the car" rule to stop random snacking and mindless eating on the run...

No eating in the car would never work for me. That would require I get up way earlier to eat breakfast on workdays, and that ain't gonna happen, lol.

In Washington State there is now a $99.00 fine for eating, drinking, or smoking while driving. A lot of people are going to have to give up their coffee in the car habit.
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,682 Member
    Options
    Fruit is my main snack, or cheese. If I want sweet after dinner but don't have enough calories left for ice cream I'll eat a single serving pudding (60-150 calories) or applesauce or a single oatmeal raisin cookie. Occasionally I'll eat a small chocolate bar left over from Halloween. If I'm really hungry, I'll make a half sandwich, either peanut butter or cheese.
  • zjpq
    zjpq Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    I LOVE a good apple with some yogurt for dipping it in
    Also almonds and dates, satisfies the crunchy and sweet
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options
    So about protein bars... i dont really understand why i would eat it them if im trying to lose weight? Can someone shed some light?

A large amount of protein "in theory" keeps you fuller longer, they tend to a source of good fats and fiber. Basically, they are the Whole Wheat Bread of Candy Bars -- they have just as many calories as a candy bar, they just have more nutrient rich stuff. No people on diets shouldn't be eating them. I have found in my diet adventure that I am wearing my skeptical hat ALL. THE. TIME.

No.
    Stop.
  • OY74NmFGBL
    OY74NmFGBL Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    Lately I've enjoyed 1/2 cup dannon light and fit vanilla Greek yogurt with 18 g of polander all fruit blackberry jam, 5 g sliced almonds, and 1/2 square of bakers semi sweet chocolate chopped mixed in. Whipped cream. My favorite evening snack lately.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    What do you have for a healthy snack when you feel like something junky like chocolate or ice cream?
    Not snacking on crap is the hardest part for me.

When I want something like chocolate or ice cream I have chocolate or ice cream. What's the point of depriving myself when this is the rest of my life and I have lost 100+ lb doing it this way?