How Do I Feel Motivated to Get Outside More?

Options
I have a hard time feeling motivated to go outside. Any tips on how to make being outside fun?

Replies

• AliNouveau
    AliNouveau Posts: 36,287 Member
    Options
    Sunshine, fresh air, nature? They are my big motivators to move my workouts outside
  • ineedtogain1011
    ineedtogain1011 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    If your a guy, tell Ava adams to stand outside ur window in a swimsuit, and if ur a girl tell Channing Tatum to strip in front of ur window.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    Find something you enjoy doing outside. Then do that.
  • goldthistime
    goldthistime Posts: 3,214 Member
    Options
    Is it summer where you are? If so, long walks are the easiest answer. Sometimes I drive over to a conservation area, sometimes I just walk around the neighbourhood. I also cycle, play tennis and occasionally get out on the water (kayak or SUP).

If it happens to be winter where you are, you're on your own. It's always a goal for me to get outside more in winter but I'm never successful.
  • julie_bee_123
    julie_bee_123 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    It's ridiculously hot and humid right now where I am, so I find it very hard to get motivated to be outside in 100 degree temperatures with 76% humidity. (Plus the mosquitoes.) In general, I loooove to be outside, but July where I live is hard to love. If it's like that where you are, maybe swimming or other water activities? When we go out for walks I love it when we walk past a house that is watering their lawn. We usually stand in the sprinklers for 5 minutes or so which makes the rest of the walk more bearable.
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,687 Member
    Options
    If you are having trouble with summer heat, go out early or late in the afternoon when the shadows are long. Go to the forests or parks where it's green and cool. Walk at night when the stars and moon are bright. Join a group that is going for a hike, or find a lake and go for a swim. Riding a bike is cooler than walking or running when it's hot. Find a Park, rail trail or canal towpath where you can ride safely.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,988 Member
    Options
    I have a hard time feeling motivated to go outside. Any tips on how to make being outside fun?

I often have a hard time being motivated to start, but once I've begun, I'm fine. So I force myself to get out there.

There are lots of things I enjoy, and they vary with the seasons. Right now it's fresh water swimming. Earlier, it was gardening. Before that, walking, and before that, snow shoeing.

I really didn't feel like swimming yesterday, but it was my one chance in a week to do it, so I gave myself permission to stop in 10 minutes if I wanted to, but ended up swimming for 30 and am glad I did.
  • gamerbabe14
    gamerbabe14 Posts: 876 Member
    Options
    Turn on cable news. That'll send you screaming to get outside.

This.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,121 Member
    Options

I'm sorry, I don't understand the question.

Every time I catch a glimpse of the outside, I want to be out there. It's probably a good thing I don't get much of a view of the outside from my office.

I love walking, hiking, cycling, splashing in the water at the beach, canoeing, skiing, snowshoeing, wandering around and taking photos of things ... even just being out there.

• BekShark
    BekShark Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Joining a group can be helpful. i joined a walking and cycling group and it motivates me to get out in a way that doing it alone doesn't.
  • shinedowness
    shinedowness Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Nature looks somewhat boring to me. I only like swimming by myself, walking in an environment that doesn't look like it's been tainted by humanity's industries, houses, etc., and I only like walking by myself in nature. But, there are cruel people out there. So, I feel cynical...
  • CattOfTheGarage
    CattOfTheGarage Posts: 2,750 Member
    Options
    Nature looks somewhat boring to me. I only like swimming by myself, walking in an environment that doesn't look like it's been tainted by humanity's industries, houses, etc., and I only like walking by myself in nature. But, there are cruel people out there. So, I feel cynical...

You are over thinking this. Don't hang about waiting for motivation or thinking dark thoughts about the human condition. Just get out. Once you have built up a habit you may enjoy it more, and even if not, it's good for you.
  • puzzledstill
    puzzledstill Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Sometimes when weather isn't great there are things I have to do anyway. Walk the dog twice a day - lovely when weather good , but have to do when wet.
    I have 'rules' -for example I don't drive to local shop to get newspaper.

• shinedowness
    shinedowness Posts: 19 Member
    Options

You are over thinking this. Don't hang about waiting for motivation or thinking dark thoughts about the human condition. Just get out. Once you have built up a habit you may enjoy it more, and even if not, it's good for you.

Overthinking how?
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,669 Member
    Options
    There's no rule that you have to go outside. There's lots of great benefits (sunshine, fresh air and openess) but if weight loss and exercise is your goal, being outside doesn't mean you're going to reach it.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • CattOfTheGarage
    CattOfTheGarage Posts: 2,750 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    There's no rule that you have to go outside. There's lots of great benefits (sunshine, fresh air and openess) but if weight loss and exercise is your goal, being outside doesn't mean you're going to reach it.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

This is also true
  • amtyrell
    amtyrell Posts: 1,449 Member
    Options
    I put exercise on my calendar. I do the stuff on my calendar but often need that incentive to get up and moving even if I have fun once I start.