Calories ☺️

Options

Replies

• WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    sczoo26 wrote: »
    I have upped my calories to 1,720 according to the app will I still lose weight though?

What activity level have you chosen - if you are a nurse with a job that has you on your feet, you should not be set at sedentary. At a minimum, lightly active. If you enter accurate stats, an appropriate activity level, and choose a reasonable rate of loss (as others said, 1 lb/week or 0.5 kg is appropriate for a 2 stone goal), then MFP will calculate a calorie target for you.

From there - eat a variety of foods within that calorie goal, focusing on those which provide nutrition (macro and micro nutrients), satiety, and leave some room for treats you enjoy. Log everything you eat as accurately as possible, ideally using a food scale.

When/if you exercise - you should be logging and eating back at least a portion of those calories as well.

If you do all that, then yes, you should lose weight at the rate you selected, and in a way that won't leave you hungry, bored, or ready to give up.

And to your original question, I'm female and eat ~2200 cals/day for maintenance.
  • SafioraLinnea
    SafioraLinnea Posts: 628 Member
    Options
    Female: 1800 net daily. Meaning somewhere between 1800 and 2200 daily.
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    Female - maintain on 2400ish
  • SaraydaB
    SaraydaB Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Female

1200 calories
  • chellecondello
    chellecondello Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Female, trying for 1200 calories since I'm 5'0".
  • HaleCry
    HaleCry Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    Female 1200. I'm only 5'3 and am on the last 10lbs :smiley:
  • firef1y72
    firef1y72 Posts: 1,579 Member
    Options
    2000-3500 depending on how active I am that day, female 155lb, aiming to lose around 0.5-1lb/week. Goodness knows how I'm going to manage when I go in to maintenance, another 400 Calories a day will mean I barely stop eating on a high activity day.
  • tk2222
    tk2222 Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    1250 at the moment, somewhat more on exercise intensive days and the occassional un-tracked meal, with about 60-70 lb to lose. Adjusting a bit upwards every 10lbs down or so.
  • lexington88
    lexington88 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Female, 1200. I'm aiming to lose 2lb a week as I have some big events coming up over the Summer (weddings, holidays,etc.) but will likely lower that to 1lb a week after that - maybe even 0.5lb over the Christmas season as I know that being too strict with myself at that time of year can end badly (like falling face first into the chocolate tin, badly).

I'm probably actually averaging around 1300-1400 calories a day, but for the most part I'm making it back by exercise. The wonderful thing is though that after only a week and a bit, my stomach has shrunk to the point where around 1200 calories is enough. Yesterday I actually struggled to reach it. It's probably just a bit of mind magic influenced by the 'start-of-a-new-diet' motivation, but I'll take it for now!
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    Female. I'm currently taking it easy with a flexible semi maintenance budget. My weight is set to maintenance and wherever my calories end up I'm fine as long as they don't go over maintenance. My current average activity puts my maintenance at around 2400 calories, and during the last two weeks I averaged 2200 calories consumed.

I'm nearly ready for deliberate weight loss again, so my plan moving forward is 1400 net calories to lose 1/2 kg a week. Depending on my activity, hunger levels, and desires, my intake would range between 1400 and 2500 on non-fast days. The way I usually eat when doing this is I just eat whatever I feel like eating, while being mindful and making smart choices and wherever my daily calories end up I just carry over any debt/extra to the next day, and if the debt reaches 1000 I have a fast day with 1550 calorie deficit to "pay off my debt" and start the process all over again.
  • ceiswyn
    ceiswyn Posts: 2,256 Member
    Options
    I'm currently at 1200 (and eating back 1/2 to 3/4 of exercise), but I'm about to up it as it's proving too low; I'm getting very, very tired.

(Female, 5'7, currently 17 st 1 / 239 lb/108 kg)
  • sarahseeto
    sarahseeto Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Panda8ach wrote: »
    Female :) 1200 calories per day plus about 250 exercise calories :) [/

I'm a little new to calorie counting. Let's say your goal is 1200 but then you go to the gym and you burn off 200 calories. You then eat another 200 calories to make up for what you've lost? And you still lose weight this way?
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    sarahseeto wrote: »
    Female :) 1200 calories per day plus about 250 exercise calories :)

I'm a little new to calorie counting. Let's say your goal is 1200 but then you go to the gym and you burn off 200 calories. You then eat another 200 calories to make up for what you've lost? And you still lose weight this way?

Yup. If you're as honest as you can be MFP will calculate your daily calories based on your lifestyle. THEN, any "purposeful" activity/exercise is just icing on the cake AKA calories you can/should eat back.
  • sczoo26
    sczoo26 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    I have upped my calories to 1,720 according to the app will I still lose weight though?

What activity level have you chosen - if you are a nurse with a job that has you on your feet, you should not be set at sedentary. At a minimum, lightly active. If you enter accurate stats, an appropriate activity level, and choose a reasonable rate of loss (as others said, 1 lb/week or 0.5 kg is appropriate for a 2 stone goal), then MFP will calculate a calorie target for you.

From there - eat a variety of foods within that calorie goal, focusing on those which provide nutrition (macro and micro nutrients), satiety, and leave some room for treats you enjoy. Log everything you eat as accurately as possible, ideally using a food scale.

When/if you exercise - you should be logging and eating back at least a portion of those calories as well.

If you do all that, then yes, you should lose weight at the rate you selected, and in a way that won't leave you hungry, bored, or ready to give up.

And to your original question, I'm female and eat ~2200 cals/day for maintenance.

Hello there,

It's currently set at light working. I have also started the gym from today I'm going to go 4 x per week so think I need to reassess my 1,700 cals per day thanks for the insight ☺️
  • Whitezombiegirl
    Whitezombiegirl Posts: 1,042 Member
    Options
    Female

This, 5ft. 105lbs. 1000 cals before excersise.
  • Panda8ach
    Panda8ach Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    sarahseeto wrote: »
    Female :) 1200 calories per day plus about 250 exercise calories :)

Yup. If you're as honest as you can be MFP will calculate your daily calories based on your lifestyle. THEN, any "purposeful" activity/exercise is just icing on the cake AKA calories you can/should eat back.

All I can tell you is what I do and how I'm doing :smile: I have 1200 calories per day and when I exercise I eat most of them too. I always leave a few over as a little buffer, just in case I've miscalculated something :/ I am 70 days in and I have lost 15lbs so far :) I drink lots of water too. It is a slow loss but I'd rather be a tortoise than a hare. Good luck to you :)
  • MaddMaestro
    MaddMaestro Posts: 405 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    Female 1400-1800 depending on activity level for the day.
  • bababs89
    bababs89 Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    Female 1500-2000 depending on how active I am.
  • msfugy
    msfugy Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Hey all I was just wondering what calories are you all aiming for daily, and if your a male/female I'll kick this off:
    Cals: 1,500 daily, and a male

Between 600-1200 depending if in doing a fast that day!
  • Silentpadna
    Silentpadna Posts: 1,306 Member
    Options
    Male, 54, 5'11", CW = 195 (down 45 with 15-20 to go). I average about 2300 in these days, now losing 1.0-1.5 lb/week.

Activity: about 10-13K steps/day. Strong Lifts 3x/wk then 2x/wk alternating. 1-2 Cardio per wk - I like to jog on the weekends, but reducing cardio.

I provided this context for the benefit of the OP, and I would be surprised if even 1760 cals is not too aggressive. But you're on the right track in gleaning information. Pay particular attention to @WinoGelato's post above.