Confused about counting calories/macros??

Options
Hi guys! I know the title seems ridiculous but recently I have been trying to lose weight. However, I've been very confused and conflicted on whether I should be more focused on my macros (such as carb intake) or just overall focus on counting calories. I've watched probably more than a dozen YouTube videos and each time I get different answers such as "low carb all the way" or "just pay attention to calories". This whole thing is very new and confusing to me. I would love some advice and tips!! Thanks :D

Replies

• Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    Calories rule for weight loss. Focus on your calories, especially in the beginning - don't over complicate things.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    The ones that say "just pay attention to calories" are the ones to listen to. Once you get your logging down, then play with the macros to see what ratio works best for you.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    :star: Pay attention to calories. :star:
    Make sure you eat enough fat and protein -- ok to go over.
    Carbs do not matter much -- over or under does not matter.
  • christinah198
    christinah198 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hey guys thanks for all the replies so far!! It makes me feel a lot better about getting started! :))
  • HarryPro
    HarryPro Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I agree with the above people, watch your Calories and you'll be alright. I was a lot like you when I started all this, macros and pie charts and this and that -- all of it looked like math and math can go f^ itself. Keep it simple, stay away from what you know you should be staying away from, and all this stuff will start falling into place as you go. I have been flying by the seat of my pants and I am down 75 lbs in a couple months.
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    HarryPro wrote: »
    I agree with the above people, watch your Calories and you'll be alright. I was a lot like you when I started all this, macros and pie charts and this and that -- all of it looked like math and math can go f^ itself. Keep it simple, stay away from what you know you should be staying away from, and all this stuff will start falling into place as you go. I have been flying by the seat of my pants and I am down 75 lbs in a couple months.

Unless you are Class 3 morbidly obese and under constant medical supervision, losing what amounts to a lb a day (given your reference to a couple of months) is neither sustainable nor healthy, I'm afraid. You are setting yourself up for an entirely different set of medical issues. And most people who approach weight loss as a sprint rather than a marathon crash and burn and end up regaining the lost weight and then some. :(

Why are you in such an unhealthy rush? Surely you weren't gaining the weight at a rate of 75lbs every couple months?

Please reconsider doing this to yourself. Get your primary care physician to give you a referral to a registered dietician (as opposed to a 'nutritionist') who can help you do this in a way that is both sustainable and healthy. Flying by the seat of your pants is not the way to go, here. :)
  • xunleashed
    xunleashed Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I've learned that counting and stick to your macro count, will lead to hitting you caloric goal. I tend to go over on protein, but carb intake you should judge by how you feel during the day, before/after workouts, etc.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    xunleashed wrote: »
    I've learned that counting and stick to your macro count, will lead to hitting you caloric goal. I tend to go over on protein, but carb intake you should judge by how you feel during the day, before/after workouts, etc.

guessed you missed the part where it was said not to over complicate it and that it really is all about calories for weight loss and to get logging and that as second nature then work on macros and what works for the individual....

calories for weight loss...macros for body comp and satiety.