Looking to cut fat, and stay on the right track!

Options
Morning all my fellow MFP'ers,

29-year-old guy here from New York and looking to stay on the right track when it comes to eating healthier. I've fallen in love with Crossfit, and even though I am disciplined when it comes to getting to the gym (either 5am or 7:30pm), I can't say the same about eating right although I have started to seriously track my meals this week.

I tend to indulge on the weekends with friends, and love a couple beers on Friday/Saturday. Over the past couple of weeks, I have found a store that sells healthy meals already prepared so I have been using them frequently.

I am on a 40% protein/30% carbs/30% fat macro count.

My issue is that I can't seem to hit my caloric mark even though I feel like I am eating a lot of food.

(Please look at my diary yesterday and today.)

I don't get too hungry during the day, and after a meal that has around 400 calories, I'm stuffed. I drink a ton of water, and I know that during Crossfit I am burning between 500-800 calories in an hour, so I am not sure if I am hitting my mark on calories.

Add me if you wish, especially if you have the same goals, like to crossfit, or just want a friend to push you along.

Thanks!

Replies

• Unavita11
    Unavita11 Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    Probably an obvious question, but are you hitting your protein goal? This is always hardest for me, even with bars and powders/shakes. And you should indulge on the weekend - it's not living life if you don't!
  • xunleashed
    xunleashed Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Unavita11 wrote: »
    Probably an obvious question, but are you hitting your protein goal? This is always hardest for me, even with bars and powders/shakes. And you should indulge on the weekend - it's not living life if you don't!

Yep, I make sure of that since I do A LOT of heavy lifts / strength training. I am getting around 200g of protein a day.
  • Unavita11
    Unavita11 Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    That's a lot - good for you!! I have trouble reaching 100g
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,522 Member
    Options
    My opinion is that overeating protein while on an overall calorie deficit does little more than make you hungry. Protein is a poor energy source relative to fats and carbs.

40% of calories from protein is over the top. Consider that the RDA for protein is 1g per kg of body weight (0.45g/lb). Perhaps you could raise this by some factor, but if you go too high while also restricting calories overall you're just shorting yourself on good energy sources and forcing your body to burn protein for fuel, which is highly inefficient.

Staying very-low-carb while cutting can be helpful, but this means eating more fats (butter, olive oil, cheese, nuts) not protein. Also, if you're working out frequently (particularly doing cardio), you need some carbs.

Best of luck!
  • xunleashed
    xunleashed Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    My opinion is that overeating protein while on an overall calorie deficit does little more than make you hungry. Protein is a poor energy source relative to fats and carbs.

40% of calories from protein is over the top. Consider that the RDA for protein is 1g per kg of body weight (0.45g/lb). Perhaps you could raise this by some factor, but if you go too high while also restricting calories overall you're just shorting yourself on good energy sources and forcing your body to burn protein for fuel, which is highly inefficient.

Staying very-low-carb while cutting can be helpful, but this means eating more fats (butter, olive oil, cheese, nuts) not protein. Also, if you're working out frequently (particularly doing cardio), you need some carbs.

Best of luck!

Could be a reason why I am so tired during the day, especially in the evening. I will tone down the protein and up the carbs and see what happens.
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,522 Member
    Options
    Eat all whole grain-type carbs and don't be afraid of the fats. (I like to eat an oz of wallnuts with breakfast most days.)

Increase carbs on exercise days (e.g., a banana before working out). Still, always in moderation.

Best of luck!