Healthy snacks?

Options

Replies

• sophie9492015
    sophie9492015 Posts: 204 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    OY74NmFGBL wrote: »
    Lately I've enjoyed 1/2 cup dannon light and fit vanilla Greek yogurt with 18 g of polander all fruit blackberry jam, 5 g sliced almonds, and 1/2 square of bakers semi sweet chocolate chopped mixed in. Whipped cream. My favorite evening snack lately.

That sounds delicious!! Will try!
  • sophie9492015
    Options
    What do you have for a healthy snack when you feel like something junky like chocolate or ice cream?
    Not snacking on crap is the hardest part for me.

When I want something like chocolate or ice cream I have chocolate or ice cream. What's the point of depriving myself when this is the rest of my life and I have lost 100+ lb doing it this way?

Thats awesome. I dont have great self control sometimes though hahaha. Just have to only buy small portion for myself i think.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    What do you have for a healthy snack when you feel like something junky like chocolate or ice cream?
    Not snacking on crap is the hardest part for me.

When I want something like chocolate or ice cream I have chocolate or ice cream. What's the point of depriving myself when this is the rest of my life and I have lost 100+ lb doing it this way?

Thats awesome. I dont have great self control sometimes though hahaha. Just have to only buy small portion for myself i think.

That's exactly what I had to do for the longest time, but I was convinced that I would learn to control myself around foods. So I set nothing off limits, but only brought home a single serving size the day I intended to eat it. Every once in a while I would bring home a couple, just to test the waters. Eventually, it became no problem, but I did have occasional days where I went over. It's really freeing though to not set those limits on what you can and can't have. Takes much of the guilt away from the process.
  • SDR1970
    SDR1970 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I've a selection of fruity Balsamic creams, those, dashed over Greek Yoghurt, (which I sometimes whip up with almond or soy milk) gives an ice cream like experience on a fraction of the calories. I've also packs of Bali’s Best coffee and tea candies - 15 calories each and they take a while to get through. Small doses of strong flavors help me stay distracted from things like Raspberry and Chipotle Cheesecake and Magnum ice creams.
  • kyubeans
    kyubeans Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I was really struggling because I love my crunchy snacks. That's where I really started thinking I might cave, but I recently found a couple of things that scratch that itch. I was really desperate when I combined raw bell pepper with cream cheese and smoked salmon, but it was surprisingly delicious. I put it into my permanent rotation. Also I've discovered that raw cucumber slices in lieu of crackers will do very well for cheese, turkey pepperoni or even a little tuna salad. Tastes great!

Our garden is overflowing with cucumbers right now, so it's nice to have one sliced up and ready to crunch at a moment's notice.

I actually started eating so much cucumber that I googled "Can you eat TOO much cucumber?" lol
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    HarryPro wrote: »
    AnvilHead wrote: »

Sounds to me like:

a) You have a terrible relationship with food.

b) Unless you're really chowing down for dinner, you're not eating anywhere near enough calories for a grown man.

Haha, thanks for the insight. Who knew NOT eating candy bars for breakfast was such a controversial topic? You can was it down a tall glass of sugary fruit juice and feel healthy as hell lol.

I'm really not sure what's so terrible about either of those things in the context of an overall wide and varied diet within appropriate calorie limits.

Why are you so angry at others perfectly fine food choices? People who have lost and maintain their weight and health beautifully?

All food has nutrition, fruit juice contains lots of macros. It's not where I personally choose to "spend" my calories other than very rarely but it's not an issue if I did. Even if the only thing you need from food is calories it's of benefit. As long as you're largely meeting macros and micros then scratching an indulgent itch is normal and fine and something those who purposefully and those who seem to naturally maintain a healthy weight do.
  • dmsl977
    dmsl977 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I try to stick with fruit like grapes or berries, but if I really want/need a treat, I love Halo Top ice cream. A half cup has 70-80 calories, and in my opinion, tastes just like 'real' ice cream. It's amazing. The chocolate and peanut butter cup flavors are amazing.
  • HarryPro
    HarryPro Posts: 47 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    VintageFeline, but we agree that both things are Indulgences, yes? I am not angry in the least, people are free to enjoy what they will, I am only stating my opinion that Protien Bars are candy --- indulgences under the guise of "health food" (like fruit juice and low-fat-double-chocolate-muffins)

A lot of people, myself included, find themselves struggling with their weight because the human brain is a creative thing. If finds all sorts of ways to explain why you should eat that sugar-free cake.

Something like only 1 in 5 people are still at their desired weight 2-years post goal. I dont know why that is but I suspect it has something to do with lying to yourself about the candy bar youre eating.

Eat it, enjoy it, just call it what it is CANDY.
  • VintageFeline
    Options
    Well, I eat some sort of treat every day, candy, small cake slice, single serve of chips. They are indulgences because relatively speaking they don't do a lot for my macros but they are a daily indulgence. And I use the word indulge to indicate it as calorie dense, not because it should be rare. Fruit juice is rare for me because I don't like drinking calories regularly.

I don't consider a protein bar candy but then I don't have an issue with candy either. If it fits, eats. If it's helping to meet a goal, even if that goal is calories, then eat. Protein bars have the added bonus of helping meet protein goals. So again, eat.
  • DharmainHeels
    DharmainHeels Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Dark chocolate is my treat. So is Halo top ice cream!
  • VintageFeline
    Options
    Yeah, Snickers bars have a lot of protien too. It people what to shoe horn a 200+ calorie "snack" into their day then great, but I dont think its wise for the dieter with weightloss in mind.

No shoehorning needed if I've burned 1000+ calories on a 10 mile hike. Some people have a high TDEE and can eat a lot and still lose. I think you have a really warped idea of what weight loss means. You have a low goal for a male particularly at your size. I'm laid up with an injury right now but when fully hitting my fitness goals I can eat the same as you and still lose. And I can "shoehorn" in all sorts of things you seem to associate with being terrible. My nutrition is just fine too.

So you need to stop making sweeping diet shaming statements. Just because you have a certain view of what others should be doing doesn't make you right and doesn't make it "healthier" or "better".
  • HarryPro
    HarryPro Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Vintage, that is super. People can eat loads of candy if they go take a 10 mile hike.

I dont understand the point you are making but somehow you've taken this personally and that was not my intention.
  • VintageFeline
    Options
    Vintage, that is super. People can eat loads of candy if they go take a 10 mile hike.

I dont understand the point you are making but somehow you've taken this personally and that was not my intention.

I was using myself as an example. I am by no means a rarity.
  • sophie9492015
    Options
    VintageFeline, but we agree that both things are Indulgences, yes? I am not angry in the least, people are free to enjoy what they will, I am only stating my opinion that Protien Bars are candy --- indulgences under the guise of "health food" (like fruit juice and low-fat-double-chocolate-muffins)

A lot of people, myself included, find themselves struggling with their weight because the human brain is a creative thing. If finds all sorts of ways to explain why you should eat that sugar-free cake.

Something like only 1 in 5 people are still at their desired weight 2-years post goal. I dont know why that is but I suspect it has something to do with lying to yourself about the candy bar youre eating.

Eat it, enjoy it, just call it what it is CANDY.

I love how a question about protein bars got so much hype, seems like there are definitely some strong opinions out there. For me, I dont think i would eat them regulary more like a replacement for a yummy sugary treat for me . Because there are more nutrients than a real chocolate bar..
    Ive also tried a couple of them though and havent really liked the taste. Maybe i need to try more varietys to find one i like.
  • tofiggy
    tofiggy Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I try to save some calories for the end of the day so I can have a snack that I enjoy like a piece of chocolate or a pudding or ice cream, I think the important thing is to watch portion size.
  • JaydedMiss
    JaydedMiss Posts: 4,286 Member
    Options

I was using myself as an example. I am by no means a rarity.

I walked 12 miles today and its only 6pm most my walking begins now xD You are indeed not a rarity, I want icecream though!
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    malibu927 wrote: »
    I worked 6-2:30 those days and ate breakfast about 10:30. That was to tide me over until then. I work retail and regularly eat 1800+ calories a day.

I see. I work the same hours, 6 - 230. I eat my 150 -to- 200 cal breakfast at 530 and that gets me to 10 when I have an 80 cal Greek yogurt. I still find essentially eating TWO breakfasts strange and wouldn't recommend someone eat a calorie rich candy bar while being on a diet.

It's not for me -- I like a 3 meal schedule -- but LOTS of people find they do better on 4 or 5 or 6 small meals.

A protein bar as a "meal replacement" as you suggested would be a bad idea for me, as 200 calories is not the size meal I like (200x3=600, not reasonable at all!).