I'm down 50 LBs, but can't seem to lose anymore.

Options
I've been working out with P90X and doing CICO for 2000 calories, I am 6'5 and now 255 LBs, but I can't seem to lose anymore. I've been at 260-250 LBs for two months now. I was thinking about cutting carbs and trying to go with more weight while working out. I have been doing less weight and more reps up until now, but thinking of doing more weight and less reps. I am still sore everyday after a work out now but I just am not losing anymore weight. Any help?

Replies

• AliNouveau
    AliNouveau Posts: 36,287 Member
    Options
    Wow congrats on the fifty pounds that's awesome. Might be worth mixing your workout up. You don't mention cardio do you do any? My was told when on a plateau change your focus.

Also as the above poster said as you get close to the ens of weight loss it gets pretty darn hard. I've been at the same weight for ages but I've noticed changes to my body that make me super happy.

Good luck
  • taziarj
    taziarj Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    Have you recalculated your TDEE since you lost the weight? As you lose weight, the amount of calories you can consume and continue to lose at the same pace also goes down.
  • CattOfTheGarage
    CattOfTheGarage Posts: 2,750 Member
    Options
    I agree re accurate logging. Also agree with @taziarj that you need to recalculate your calorie goal for the lower weight.

If you are calculating your goal using myfitnesspal, just go into 'goals' and change your rate of loss to 'maintain my weight' and then back again. This will force it to recalculate based on your current weight.

(This will only work if you are recording your weight on myfitnesspal so it knows how much you weigh right now).
  • puzzledstill
    puzzledstill Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    What's your target ? Given your height I'm guessing you could be at a stage where you are actually quite happy where you are. (I'm there - 5ft 1" and 145 lb) - and it's easy to be complacent. Clothes fit nicely , get nice comments etc etc
    So yes what others have said about weighing food and logging are true - but you need to also think about your reason why. Best Wishes.
  • firef1y72
    firef1y72 Posts: 1,579 Member
    Options
    Have you tried taking a couple of days diet break? I don't know exactly how it works, but I find taking a weekend off now and then helps me get back on track. Plus you need to reset your goals regularly, I started by doing it every 20lb, then 10lb and now I'm getting close to target every 5lb.
  • moviemancc213
    moviemancc213 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    My TDEE is 3800 and my BMR is 2400. And I know my logging isn't perfect but that is why I put my daily goal to 2000 so I can still be off a few hundred and be okay. I feel like I'm eating at a large deficit and not seeing the results I want. My goal is 220-200, for my height the high end of healthy ends at 210. I take the rest week that P90X suggest after each phase, it's after each month basically.
  • Old_Cat_Lady
    Old_Cat_Lady Posts: 1,193 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    Losing weight is 80% to 90% about diet. Put more focus on logging right. Buy a food scale at any store if you are really serious. They are near the measuring cups and cost about 20 bucks
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    My TDEE is 3800 and my BMR is 2400. And I know my logging isn't perfect but that is why I put my daily goal to 2000 so I can still be off a few hundred and be okay. I feel like I'm eating at a large deficit and not seeing the results I want. My goal is 220-200, for my height the high end of healthy ends at 210. I take the rest week that P90X suggest after each phase, it's after each month basically.

Your logging is the most likely culprit. Lock it down or continue spinning your wheels.
  • JaxxieKat
    JaxxieKat Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    Digital kitchen scales are cheap. You'll see results when you stop fudging the numbers and hoping you're at a deficit at the end of the day.
  • jeanstudies
    jeanstudies Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Are you able to hire a trainer for a couple weeks, to get some input? I did high reps/low weight for a long time but I believe that building up more muscle mass has helped my weight loss. Just a thought.
  • moviemancc213
    moviemancc213 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Just to clarify, I "fudge" only about 100-200 calories in a day. While even with my end of day numbers being that far off I would still be at a 500-750 calorie deficit at the end of the day. And to the person saying my logging is bad I would disagree. When I log something as 4 slices, it is usually because the package info puts information as slices, when it says half a cup, I measure out half a cup. On Sundays I do not log information because it is the only day I get to spend with my wife and daughter, but I still eat similar things at similar amounts. And with my TDEE and BMR being as high as they are my weekly loggings without Sundays is close to 7500 calories under what the lose 2 lbs rate.
  • MegaMooseEsq
    MegaMooseEsq Posts: 3,118 Member
    Options
    The reason people keep coming back to your logging is that, absent some sort of medical issue that can't be diagnosed over the internet, you will lose weight if you eat at a consistent calorie deficit. There's nothing to remove from your diet or add to your exercise to jump start your weight loss again - if the scale hasn't move in two months, it's because, on average, you're consuming all the calories you're using. It seems pretty common with people who start at a high weight to lose weight with laxer logging, only to stall after a while. When you have less to lose, you've got less wiggle room for that deficit, so being off with your logging really can make a difference. I would spend a couple of weeks at least weighting everything humanly possible by grams and see what happens.
  • MegaMooseEsq
    edited July 2017
    Options
    To elaborate on the slice vs gram thing, that nutritional information is an estimate. One slice is supposed to be x grams which is y calories, but there's no way to know that one slice is actually x grams without weighing it yourself. Yes, it's a little more work, but the effort will pay off. I understand not wanting to log on your family day, but maybe you can meal prep and log in advance?
  • Muscleflex79
    Muscleflex79 Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    Just to clarify, I "fudge" only about 100-200 calories in a day. While even with my end of day numbers being that far off I would still be at a 500-750 calorie deficit at the end of the day. And to the person saying my logging is bad I would disagree. When I log something as 4 slices, it is usually because the package info puts information as slices, when it says half a cup, I measure out half a cup. On Sundays I do not log information because it is the only day I get to spend with my wife and daughter, but I still eat similar things at similar amounts. And with my TDEE and BMR being as high as they are my weekly loggings without Sundays is close to 7500 calories under what the lose 2 lbs rate.

as others have repeatedly said - weighing is way more accurate than measuring with cups.
  • DevilsFan1
    DevilsFan1 Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    Your estimated TDEE is just that, an estimate. Here's what you need to do. Get a food scale and weigh every single item you eat. That includes things like dropping a potato chip and eating it without logging it or licking the peanut butter knife after you spread some across a piece of bread. Weigh everything.

Next, weigh yourself each morning and record the weight. At the end of the week, average these measurement to get your weight for the week. Do this again for a full month. Check your progress. If you aren't losing, eat less than you've been eating. A 500 calorie a day deficit will translate to one pound lost over the course of a week.

This is a full-proof method. If it doesn't work it's because you are not tracking accurately. Losing weight is very, very simple but it isn't easy.
  • MegaMooseEsq
    Options
    DevilsFan1 wrote: »
    Your estimated TDEE is just that, an estimate. Here's what you need to do. Get a food scale and weigh every single item you eat. That includes things like dropping a potato chip and eating it without logging it or licking the peanut butter knife after you spread some across a piece of bread. Weigh everything.

The peanut butter thing reminded me of my favorite "duh" trick to make weighing a lot easier for stuff like condiments and toppings - put the container on the scale before you dish up, zero out, then log the negative numbers as you dish out whatever you're using. You'll end up overestimating a bit if you don't lick the knife, but over is generally more helpful than under.