Arm and ab work out question

Options
I want to add an arm and ab work out into my gym routine. I am just starting back into the gym so I don't want to overwhelm myself but I have no idea what to do for either of these. Any suggestions?

Replies

• Ironandwine69
    Ironandwine69 Posts: 2,432 Member
    Options
    Why not both arms?
  • Ironandwine69
    Ironandwine69 Posts: 2,432 Member
    Options
    And what are you goals?
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    You should be following a structured beginner program that works all muscle groups with compound movements. That will cover you arms and core to start.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    rybo wrote: »
    You should be following a structured beginner program that works all muscle groups with compound movements. That will cover you arms and core to start.

Yup...

Just doing some arbitrary arm and ab work isn't going to be very productive...
  • stacysjourney
    stacysjourney Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    My goals are to tighten my arms up and define my abs. I'm trying to tone everything
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    My goals are to tighten my arms up and define my abs. I'm trying to tone everything

As has been stated, do an established full body program. You can't spot reduce...defined abs come with very low BF%, not a billion crunches. A full body program with compound movements as the foundation will work your core and abs plenty...after that it's a matter of low BF and genetics.
  • MityMax96
    MityMax96 Posts: 5,778 Member
    Options
    I do abs about 2-3 times a week.
    Hanging leg raises,
    crunches
    weighted planks and side planks
    leg lifts

Arms I add those in on either my back (for biceps) or chest (triceps)
    I usually just do one arm specific exercise, as I feel they get hit when targeting the other muscle group
    On occasions I may have one day a week where I do just arms and shoulders together.
    So EZ bar curls
    straight bar curls
    DB alt. curls
    Reverse grip curls using EZ bar.