Lose the fat then gain muscle? Right or wrong?

Options

Replies

• MityMax96
    MityMax96 Posts: 5,778 Member
    Options
    pbryd wrote: »
    Personally I think people overstate muscle loss during a cut. It goes hand in hand with people underestimating how much bodyfat they need to lose to achieve a six pack.

If any real muscle is actually lost during a cut, then muscle memory will see it gained very quickly as soon as you start eating at maintenance.

I kinda think if the person does at least some exercise that stimulates the muscle, then muscle loss will be minimal.
    If they do nothing though....then loss of muscle will be higher. It is a very costly component of the body when in deficit. So if it isn't being used, not a big reason to keep it.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Personally I think people overstate muscle loss during a cut. It goes hand in hand with people underestimating how much bodyfat they need to lose to achieve a six pack.

If any real muscle is actually lost during a cut, then muscle memory will see it gained very quickly as soon as you start eating at maintenance.

Are you talking muscle loss or strength loss?

Muscle isn't quick to go on no matter what you had before. Not sure how muscle memory would help there.

Just read the blogs of many professional body-builders and power lifters that didn't play on the safe side when cutting and hated the results.

And it didn't go on quick even for them. If any should have this muscle memory you reference to allow quick comeback - they should.

Studies have generally found (Lyle McDonald had a good writeup of studies on this IIRC) if no specific resistance training is done - about 20-30% LBM is lost in average diet.
    Don't recall how reasonable or extreme "average diet" means, and obviously LBM doesn't mean all muscle, as you should require less water for instance with less fat to support (blood volume).
    Considering most seem to diet extreme because they start from the bottom up from some minimum - I can see it being realistic number.

But considering studies have shown a reasonable deficit, enough protein, and some simple resistance training - can keep LBM - I don't think it's overstated to say many risk it very easily with what they do.
    Not much protein, heavy on the cardio, and not very reasonable deficit.
  • pbryd
    pbryd Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    Come on guys, I didn't think I'd actually have to point out on a bodybuilding forum, that you have to continue lifting to preserve muscle mass while on a cut.
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options

Then consider me an overstated. I did not lift at all during 9 months of losing 60 lbs and lost way too much LBM. I wish I had lifted and lost slower.

Muscle loss is overstated assuming you are providing sufficient stimulus to the muscles and consuming enough protein.

• mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    Come on guys, I didn't think I'd actually have to point out on a bodybuilding forum, that you have to continue lifting to preserve muscle mass while on a cut.

I'd agree if this was actually a body building forum. But it's a weight loss/ calorie counting/ general fitness forum. Many here don't or never have lifted. Just take a stroll through the fitness section and you will see what I mean. richardgavel is an example of that. He and many others have come to see the value of resistance training but there are still many who don't here and some who don't incorporate any exercise. The fact that the OP is even asking this question is also an example of what I am saying.
  • jayuk20
    jayuk20 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't bother with cardio.

Get yourself on StrongLifts 5x5, maintain your weight and bulk on training days. I only aim to put some weight on so I'm starting at 2400 calories and work from there.
  • MityMax96
    Options

True, but in response to the OP's wording. It needed to be conveyed to him, that his plan is not the most optimal in the long run.
  • pbryd
    Options
    MityMax96 wrote: »
    True, but in response to the OP's wording. It needed to be conveyed to him, that his plan is not the most optimal in the long run.

True, which I did in a reply earlier.

So start lifting while you cut down, as a beginner you should be able to build muscle and lose fat at the same time.

I think we're all on the same page then it comes to keeping muscle by lifting heavy while cutting.

• MityMax96
    Options
    So we were just confirming what you said. :wink:
    All good
  • PPumpItUp
    PPumpItUp Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    There are some interesting studies that have come out recently. Even in trained individuals you can loose fat and gain muscle at the same time. Just have a pretty hefty calorie deficit but keep your protein high and resistance train.
  • pbryd
    Options
    All good

Cheers buttercup ;)
  • MityMax96
    Options
    All good

Cheers buttercup ;)

You too sweet pea. :kissing::lol:
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    PPumpItUp wrote: »
    There are some interesting studies that have come out recently. Even in trained individuals you can loose fat and gain muscle at the same time. Just have a pretty hefty calorie deficit but keep your protein high and resistance train.

Happen to have any links to those handy?
  • T0M_K
    T0M_K Posts: 7,526 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    great book if you are a reader. its dated but the principles apply today just like the day it was written. Burn the Fat Feed the Muscle. imperative to do both! if you don't lift, you will lose muscle and fat at a calorie deficit. double edged sword because muscle requires more energy (calories) to maintain. if you lose muscle in your weight loss efforts, you will also be burning fewer calories at rest also. that is the last thing we want. we want our bodies burning as many calories at rest as possible...why you ask.....so we can eat more and still not gain. low calorie diets fail. unsustainable. retain your muscle by lifting on a program like StrongLifts or Rippetoes Starting Strength.
  • PPumpItUp
    Options
    There are some others but this is the most talked about one.

For the study, 40 young men underwent a month of hard exercise while cutting dietary energy they would normally require by 40 per cent of what they would normally require

The high protein group (2.4 g/kg) gained 2 lb of muscle and lost 10 lb of body fat.

The low protein group (1.2 g/kg) lost negligible muscle and lost ~7.7 lb of body fat.

The researchers divided their subjects into two groups. Both groups went on a low calorie diet, one with higher levels of protein than the other. The higher-protein group experienced muscle gains – about 2.5 pounds – despite consuming insufficient energy, while the lower protein group did not add muscle

http://ajcn.nutrition.org/content/103/3/738
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    I haven't read any of the replies yet, so...

Yes, essentially.

If you're overfat you'll want to lose as much adipose tissue as possible (lowering down to less than around %15 for men and %23 for women) so that you can properly assess your physique. It's difficult to get an idea of how much muscle mass you actually have when it's covered in body fat. And purposely trying to "gain muscle" while still overfat is likely to result in poor aesthetic results later on (with a large percentage of gains being even more body fat).

It goes without saying that building muscle is a difficult, long, and arduous process especially as you get closer to your genetic muscular potential. This means there's always diminishing returns as you get larger. Therefore, you'll want to do your best to retain as much muscle as possible while losing weight as this could save you months (or even a year) of purposeful bulking.

To do this you'll want to consume adequate protein, perform consistent resistance exercise, and keep your calorie deficit low to moderate.

As stated, from there you can assess whether you'd benefit from a "bulking" cycle or if recomping would better suit your needs.
  • PPumpItUp
    Options
    And this all happened in just 4 weeks.
  • MityMax96
    Options
    There are some others but this is the most talked about one.

For the study, 40 young men underwent a month of hard exercise while cutting dietary energy they would normally require by 40 per cent of what they would normally require

The high protein group (2.4 g/kg) gained 2 lb of muscle and lost 10 lb of body fat.

The low protein group (1.2 g/kg) lost negligible muscle and lost ~7.7 lb of body fat.

The researchers divided their subjects into two groups. Both groups went on a low calorie diet, one with higher levels of protein than the other. The higher-protein group experienced muscle gains – about 2.5 pounds – despite consuming insufficient energy, while the lower protein group did not add muscle

http://ajcn.nutrition.org/content/103/3/738

My guess is they were prolly overweight to begin with, so they had some excess energy on hand
    If they were lean individuals, say BF % of <15....then I doubt they would have had those results....

Did they give the stats of the men?
  • MityMax96
    Options
    And this all happened in just 4 weeks.

They they had to be newbs to lifting.
    2 pounds of muscle in just 4 weeks....that is not normal for people who have been training over 3 or more years.....
    Those kinda gains are usually what newbs get in their first 6 months - 1 year.
  • PPumpItUp
    Options
    Yeah, they were untrained mostly. Let me look up some other studies that show even in trained individuals you can recomp with a high protein diet/calorie deficit with resistance training.