60+ Club

Options
I saw a 40+ Club and most of the comments were from 40 yr olds. I think I have different "opportunities" now at 60+ than I did at 40+. So, who of you out there are in my club? I seem to just gain weight overnight and have been doing so since I turned 60. The pounds definitely don't come off easy either. I can diet for 4 months just to lose 10 lbs. Kinda kills the motivation. Would be interested in hearing from you for ideas, motivation, and learning what works. Thanks!

Replies

• 7sorok
    7sorok Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I'm 67. About 12 years ago I lost 70lbs, but, of course, I had put everything back and than some. It took me a year to lose and same to gain. I'm doing it again. I do not rush, someday I 'll lose again. I don't want 70lbs now, I want about 40. So, I'll be overweight. Who cares? As long as I'm healthy, I'm OK with being overweight. I have lost 15lbs since April.
    I do have 2 big problems though: I'm a binger and I can't help it, and I don't know how to maintain. Maybe one day, I'll conquer both. Meanwhile, one day at the time and one step at the time. Good luck to all 60+. We deserve it.
  • cheryldumais
    cheryldumais Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    7sorok, I started out exactly the same. Set a goal I felt I could reach then kept going once I had made progress. Congrats on the 15 lbs! That's a great loss in that amount of time. You're much more likely to keep it off if you lose it a little bit slower. Hang in there. I've only lost 12 pounds since January! The last 20 are a pain.
  • almsha
    almsha Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Turning 60 in November and has already been a hard road, gee can't wait until I hit the big 60...ugh. Anyway, I have a problem staying motivated because I can lose for a bit 10 to 15 lbs...then I start gaining again without changing any of my food habits. I really need to do this as diabetes is prevalent in my family and I already have auto immune issues....I certainly do not want to add to them. I need to lose at least 50 lbs if not 60...that amount sounds very daunting to me...I am trying to make small goals though to keep the prospective on point. I am glad to know there are others here I can learn from.
  • stelafaro
    stelafaro Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I am 64 but for some reason, my profile says I am 65, (i don't know how to change it) I have been on this journey, visiting a weight loss clinic once a week for three weeks doing some intermittent fasting, but mostly just watching carbs. I also walk for an hour 5 x a week. I have lost 4 lbs each week, this Saturday will make it a month, if I have lost 4 lbs on Saturday, that will make it 16 lbs in a month. I hope I can keep this up, my goal was 3-5 lbs a week, however, i was willing to settle for 1 or 2 lbs a week as long as I was losing. I have 86 lbs to go. I hope I can remain consistent.
  • playalinda55
    playalinda55 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I'm 61 going on 62 n looking forward to retirement at the end of this year. I have to lose 30 pounds for health reasons - diabetes. Seems like I do so much better when I'm home. Like to go out for a power walk or go to the gym. When working I'm just too tired to make it to the gym. I'm happy that I started MFP which has given me a lot of motivation as I track my daily intake. I'm hoping for the weight loss before I retire n then try to maintain that weight. I just have to stay focus.
  • elainebrim51
    elainebrim51 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Thank you for starting this group. I started out on this journey in January at 170 pounds (5'1" female), I am down to 140 - with a goal of 130. But I have stalled. I try to walk 9,000 steps a day (some days less, some days more) and am starting to add stretching and strengthening exercises to support my wonky knee and arthritic back. I use a FitBit to track my steps and MFP as a food diary. I am trying to stay positive and motivated despite the stall.

Always looking to share recipes and menu ideas.

What type of exercises do you do? At home? At a gym? I am hoping to start an exercise program at home, and am looking forward to hearing what others do and about your successes - congratulations to each of us for joining the group and lets help each other stay motivated!
  • saybyebob
    saybyebob Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Thanks bgrantham for opening the 60+ group. Turning the big "6" "0" the end of August. I've been searching for group to call home. Need to lose 50lbs and would love to lose around 80lbs, considered weight loss surgery but don't have the best insurance and the co-pays are way out of my financial bracket. Still working full time. I get about 5 thousands steps at work and I'm aware they don't really count.

My plan is log my food and get to the gym. Logging the food is the easy part but I'm so tired after working 8 hours I just want to get home, lie down and nibble on some salty chips.

Wishing success to all!
  • saybyebob
    Options
    OK....I know I'm having a senior moment but where's the JOIN button. Too funny!!
  • 7sorok
    edited July 2017
    Options
    saybuybob. LOL. I'm looking for same button and I'm happy to be your friend

cheryldumais. Thanks for suggestions, but no more goals for me. I want to enjoy my life. The weight comes off by itself, I don't even exercise. Firstly, I'm too lazy. Secondly, it never worked for me. I had set to lose 1lb a week and to eat 1230cals a day (I'm very short), but I barely make it to 1100cals and I eat everything I want. I set Mondays (my weigh-in day) to binge and I add additional 800-1000cals. BTW, It actually would be 3lbs more that I had lost, but I was stressed the past week and ate refrigerator and some. So what? This week is great so far. My motto in everything that I do: one day at the time, one step at the time and tomorrow is another day. Also, I teach myself to live not like I want it to, but like it is now. I might be strange, but I never lose motivation because I don't have one, I just do it. I like my weight loss process be as monotonous as possible, nice and steady, but it's me, of course. Who knows, maybe I'm wrong, but I'm definitely happy to read about and of other people.
  • 150poundsofme
    150poundsofme Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    70 here. Would love a "60's" group. I have quite a bit to lose - 100 - 125. A constant struggle but hopefully it will all be worth it if I can finally achieve it. I am so tired of all these years of dieting/binging. Doing pretty well for a month now with only occasionally overeating, not binging. To motivate our new friends is a win win for us all.
  • saybyebob
    Options
    How did everyone do today? Keep forgetting to weigh myself. I've been thinking about doing daily weights, in the past I weighed weekly and look where that got me. I've also been donating to Planet Fitness for awhile now, I'm starting back on Saturday my son (23) mentioned he might go with me. That's good and bad. The good - I'll have awesome company and great workouts. The Bad - no sneaking back out the door 10 minutes after I walked in! Have a great night everyone!!
  • 7sorok
    edited July 2017
    Options
    saybyebob I figured out this is not a group here. We've been just responding to a post. The group is to be created yet. On the other hand, I'm fine today. I've got a question: can you overeat on 1000cal a day? I just had my dinner and I'm stuffed, but I have about 160cals more to eat to get over 1000. You are great if you exercise, I just can't push myself doing it. I wish my husband would get his behind off the couch and go to the Y with me (just a wish)

• 7sorok
    edited July 2017
    Options
    150poundsofme I guess that if you would stop struggling and just let it go, you'll do OK. I am a binger. So? There is a tomorrow and many other tomorrows, one foot in front of the other, one meal at the time. Best of luck!
  • kittybenn
    kittybenn Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    I'm 67 and have lost 59 lbs. I've bumped cals down from 1400 to 1300, but the loss is really slow. About 5 lbs a month now. I can live with it because I want it to be reasonably comfortable. I'm trying to ratchet up exercise. Getting into Nia and Zumba Gold. I walk, too. But, wow, the metabolism. Sheesh. SO slow. I could easily lose 10 lbs. a month 20 years ago . . .
  • kittybenn
    kittybenn Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    BTW, I love Pat Coakley's Art of the Diet site and podcast: http://www.artofthediet.com/. She's 70+, and is trying to maintain a 60-lb loss. She's really funny, artistic, interesting and honest about her struggles.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    7sorok wrote: »
    saybyebob I figured out this is not a group here. We've been just responding to a post. The group is to be created yet. On the other hand, I'm fine today. I've got a question: can you overeat on 1000cal a day? I just had my dinner and I'm stuffed, but I have about 160cals more to eat to get over 1000. You are great if you exercise, I just can't push myself doing it. I wish my husband would get his behind off the couch and go to the Y with me (just a wish)

1000 cals per day is undereating. 1200 is the minimum for women to get adequate nutrition. Be sure to weigh all food on a scale and log it for accuracy. Check out the sticky threads for details on how to do this.
  • saybyebob
    Options
    Let's go ahead and create our group. @Kittybenn - Thanks for the suggestion on the podcast. Hope to listen to it while on the treadmill over the weekend.