I feel like I'm running in circles when it comes to bodybuilding

Options
I'm going to make this as short as possible.

1st year - loads of cardio/ no lifting/ 1200 cals per day. Was skinny fat.
2nd year - cardio/ starting to lift but not serious about it/ not tracking/ gaining weight.
3rd year - cardio/ lifting but always switching programs/ trying to clean eat and failing. Gained some muscle but it's covered in fat.
4-5 year - trying my very best to find a program that works for me. Currently on strong curves. I've been counting cals since Jan! Not 100 % consistently, but at least 80 %.

I feel like I'd look a lot better than I do had I not gone through so much trial and error. I don't even have pictures of when I started. The picture on the left is from April 2016 and the two on the right (not flexed then flexed) are from a couple weeks ago.

Does anyone have a story similar to mine? Because all I see are months or even weeks of transformation pics and people look freaking amazing. I'm so embarrassed when I tell people that I've been on my fitness journey for 4-5 years.

Replies

• Ironandwine69
    Ironandwine69 Posts: 2,432 Member
    Options
    Do you mind posting pics?
  • alondrakayy
    alondrakayy Posts: 304 Member
    Options
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    You definitely look leaner and more fit now, so don't feel like you haven't made progress. Don't be embarrassed.

But, yeah - many people have floundered by not sticking with something long enough. But, the fact that you were doing something? It already put you ahead of lots of people. Don't worry about what others have done - things are obviously working for you, even if not at the rate you'd like. Keep with it!
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    First of all, I see great progress in your photos.

Second, I know it's hard not to compare but everyone's transformation will be different.

And while you have been lifting for 4-5 years, there has been a lack of consistency. That is a huge factor of success... if you are going between programs and not tracking.. losing and gaining (without purpose like in a bulk), you spin your wheels and your results will reflect that. Again, you look great of course, but that is the reason you may not be seeing the results you have been hoping for.

What are your goals right now? Having clear cut goals and sticking to them will be the first step.
  • PPumpItUp
    PPumpItUp Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    Have you thought about getting a trainer to give you some structure?
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    sardelsa wrote: »
    First of all, I see great progress in your photos.

Second, I know it's hard not to compare but everyone's transformation will be different.

And while you have been lifting for 4-5 years, there has been a lack of consistency. That is a huge factor of success... if you are going between programs and not tracking.. losing and gaining (without purpose like in a bulk), you spin your wheels and your results will reflect that. Again, you look great of course, but that is the reason you may not be seeing the results you have been hoping for.

What are your goals right now? Having clear cut goals and sticking to them will be the first step.

this..

keep training consistently and running strong curves..

Don't worry about BS terms like "clean eating" just eat the appropriate number of calories, hit your macros and micros, and mix in some foods you enjoy...
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    PPumpItUp wrote: »

OP has been running a structured program - strong curves - since January...
  • alondrakayy
    alondrakayy Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »

Sorry I worded it wrong in my post, I have been tracking since January following a pretty basic lifting routine I found on BB.com. I have only been on strong curves for 2 weeks, but loving it because it's very different than anything else I've done.

To answer someone else's question, I have hired trainers two times. The first time was through 24 HR Fitness, he was the one who made me stay on a clean eating diet. The second time was through Instagram. I can't remember if she was certified or not, but I know she was some type of nurse and had a killer body! Her workout programs were ok.. lots of cardio type exercises and plenty compound lifts. The girl kept dropping my carb intake though and I was miserable. Felt almost like when I was on the 1200 cals diet.

Thank you all for your feedback. I don't want to post to get a 'well done!' when I know I have not been consistent. It wasn't entirely on purpose, simple trial and error and lack of research on my part. I'm hoping that now that it's out of the way I can move forward and really make the change in my body that I am wanting to see. I'm on recomp, have been for about a month and have successfully stayed at the 145-147 range.

• trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    You've made great progress. In my opinion a slight deficit and keep lifting and you'll see improvements in your physique.
  • Kintsugi_Haikyo
    Kintsugi_Haikyo Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    I think you have made good progress. I would stay with Strong Curves for sure; I think the structure will be good for you.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »

Sorry I worded it wrong in my post, I have been tracking since January following a pretty basic lifting routine I found on BB.com. I have only been on strong curves for 2 weeks, but loving it because it's very different than anything else I've done.

To answer someone else's question, I have hired trainers two times. The first time was through 24 HR Fitness, he was the one who made me stay on a clean eating diet. The second time was through Instagram. I can't remember if she was certified or not, but I know she was some type of nurse and had a killer body! Her workout programs were ok.. lots of cardio type exercises and plenty compound lifts. The girl kept dropping my carb intake though and I was miserable. Felt almost like when I was on the 1200 cals diet.

Thank you all for your feedback. I don't want to post to get a 'well done!' when I know I have not been consistent. It wasn't entirely on purpose, simple trial and error and lack of research on my part. I'm hoping that now that it's out of the way I can move forward and really make the change in my body that I am wanting to see. I'm on recomp, have been for about a month and have successfully stayed at the 145-147 range.

That is the most important part. You live, you learn. Try not to focus on the past and what you could/should have done. Focus on what your next steps are and do it.

I did things less than optimally the first time... first I lost all my weight without lifting.. so I ended up with a less than ideal body composition...then I started lifting but kept losing (instead of maybe recomping) to the point where I was almost underweight and still not happy. At that point I had no choice but to bulk.

However... if I didn't go through all that, I probably would have never gone though a bulk cycle, so I am happy for my "mistakes" because they have led me to the path of success I am on now. Really cheesy sounding I know.... :p point is, just learn from where you have gone wrong in the past and move forward like you said.. very few people get it right the very first time.
  • Luna3386
    Luna3386 Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    Hey,

I've been here since 2012, and that's just this round of losing pregnancy weight from my third.

I'm even less leaner than you, if it makes you feel better. I'm going to add you as a friend.
  • deputy_randolph
    deputy_randolph Posts: 940 Member
    Options
    I spent a year recomping, then spent a year bulking, cut for 4 months, months of bulking again until August lifting competition, then planning on cutting again.

I think the 12 week transformations that you are seeing are for commercial purposes: like the instagram "trainer." IRL, this fitness stuff takes a long time.
  • richardgavel
    richardgavel Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    I lost 60 lbs over 9 months, all cardio, no lifting. And I ended up skinny fat. Then I started lifting and tried a recomposition for about 6 months, but really made no progress in terms of BF % as measures by DEXA. FYI, that BF was 20%. I'm I'm in the middle of a very slow cut contining to lift, trying to get BF down more, even though it takes me under my ideal weight. Then I'm going to try a slow bulk and hopefully gain more muscle this time.

But iHear you. I feel like I made so many mistakes and could have done way better the first time and see transformations of various posters that show more progress in the same or less time than mine. It does get frustrating at times.
  • not_a_runner
    not_a_runner Posts: 1,343 Member
    Options
    I spent a year recomping, then spent a year bulking, cut for 4 months, months of bulking again until August lifting competition, then planning on cutting again.

I think the 12 week transformations that you are seeing are for commercial purposes: like the instagram "trainer." IRL, this fitness stuff takes a long time.

Yes. Or someone who has a solid muscle base and does a really hard cut to reveal it.

I worked with a coach for a while who only shared the client pictures that showed huge changes. Usually the first 2-3 weeks, when people have mostly dropped water weight or improved posing. They want to make it look good to attract more clients.
    Even her own "transformation" pics were several YEARS apart.

I've been lifting fairly consistently for about 3-4 years, but I don't really look like it because I've struggled with my diet. I've also spent a lot of time in a deficit, just to gain weight back quickly (not really a good strategy for muscle building). I've learned a lot though, I'm far from the person I started as.

OP- You really have made significant progress. Sounds like you know where your shortcomings are and you're starting to work on those areas.