MacGregor vs. Mayweather

Options
cabronlobos
cabronlobos Posts: 569 Member
Ok, I'm gonna make it real clear. As fun as the hype has been around this fight, and as entertaining as Conor MacGregor has been, he doesn't stand a snowballs chance in hell to even be competitive in this fight. It's 2 different sports, and just because MacGregor "strikes" in MMA fights.....he has had 0 boxing matches. Not saying he couldn't eventually become a competent boxer, but not in a couple of months, and not against one of the best to lace em up. Enjoy the hype because the fight ain't gonna be much.

Replies

• grace173
    grace173 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I don't think he cares to be honest. He just wants the pay packet, and with a pay packet like that, who can blame him? I just hope he doesn't get killed!
  • Bry_Fitness70
    Bry_Fitness70 Posts: 2,480 Member
    Options
    grace173 wrote: »
    I don't think he cares to be honest. He just wants the pay packet, and with a pay packet like that, who can blame him? I just hope he doesn't get killed!

How exactly would McGregor "get killed"? Have you watched any Mayweather fights over the past 6-7 years?

For this fight, Mayweather is going to dance around, pepper him with harmless punches with his 10 oz gloves that will score points, and clinch. McGregor will chase him around, and if he doesn't run out of gas, will lose a lopsided decision, but won't even feel like he has been in a fight afterward. And both men will get richer.

By the way, if this was a street fight or a UFC fight, McGregor would either knock him out, submit him, or choke him out in about 45 seconds.
  • Caporegiem
    Caporegiem Posts: 4,297 Member
    Options
    Bry_Lander wrote: »

How exactly would McGregor "get killed"? Have you watched any Mayweather fights over the past 6-7 years?

For this fight, Mayweather is going to dance around, pepper him with harmless punches with his 10 oz gloves that will score points, and clinch. McGregor will chase him around, and if he doesn't run out of gas, will lose a lopsided decision, but won't even feel like he has been in a fight afterward. And both men will get richer.

By the way, if this was a street fight or a UFC fight, McGregor would either knock him out, submit him, or choke him out in about 45 seconds.

Pretty much this, the only killing that will be done will be on the scorecards. Mayweather knows how to play the points game and is not one to trade punches pound for pound.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,535 Member
    Options
    I say MacGregor knocks him out.........................................after Mayweather beats him on the scorecard and is announced the winner.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • erica_today
    erica_today Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    Okay I'm going to be really clear on this

Conor will win.

Not because I love mma although I do
    And not because I love conor because I sure as hell don't I'm not a huge fan I'm more of a Diaz brothers fan

But he will win there is no doubt in my mind. I actually know a boxing coach who has money on conor.

Also boxing is disgusting mayweather is at the end of his game they need something amazing to take over that is conor boxing is going out of style and they want to bring it back the fight is most likely also fixed.

Having said that I can tell you also mayweather doesn't deserve a win, he doesn't deserve the money and honestly a man who hits his wife no matter how many wins you have you will never be the champion he's weak minded and I hope he gets knocked the *kitten* out.

Okay I'm done.
  • Bry_Fitness70
    Options

Yes, McGregor would beat Floyd easily in an MMA fight as well as in the street,I agree. That's exactly why he's taking the easy money and fighting McGregor on his terms. But if you don't think McGregor is not gonna get busted up bad in this fight, you haven't been watching Mayweather either. It's not like Floyd does not have power, he just chose to fight safe using the best defense in the game when he went up against other world class boxers, something McGregor is not even close to being. McGregor's fights for his career have averaged 5 mins per fight.....Mayweather has averaged 33. As bad *kitten* as McGregor is, and yes I do believe he is, if this fight go us past 5 rounds he is gonna be so gassed from trying to hit Mayweather and getting pot shotted at will, he's gonna just be target practice until the ref either stops it or he gets knocked out. As far as the gloves go....the ounces of the gloves have more to do with hand protection than it does for damage inflicted. Am MMA fighter may never in his career throw as many punches in his career as a boxer does in one 12 rd fight. That's why they use bigger gloves. But the impact of throwing a heavier object at the head.....heavier gloves....is actually more likely to cause more brain movement on impact causing concussion or knockout than if with 4 oz gloves or even bare fist.

When I watched the Mayweather-Pacquiao fight, I saw two men who were not really attempting to knock each other out. Possessing knockout power is useless if Mayweather refuses to get into meaningful exchanges. Is this a smart strategy? Absolutely. Will it win the fight against McGregor. Probably. Is it exciting? Not at all, I would rather watch two unknowns aggressively going after each other in a boxing or MMA fight than two elite boxers playing patty-cake for 12 rounds.

McGregor's conditioning will be the key factor. I wouldn't assume he will come in out of shape just because he hasn't gone long in most of his fights. UFC rounds are 5 minutes, and those extra 2 minutes at the end of a round (when a boxer gets to rest after 3) are brutal. In preparation for this fight, McGregor isn't training kicks, wrestling, martial arts, submissions, etc., which an MMA fighter must do, he is just training boxing, and attaining a level of conditioning specific to boxing.

I disagree on the gloves. Getting hit on the chin by 4 oz gloves is going to cause more trauma than 10 oz gloves, and MMA gloves inflict more cuts. If boxers used MMA gloves you wouldn't be seeing all of these fights going the distance. You are right that holding your hands up and throwing punches with bigger gloves requires better conditioning, though.

• SomebodyWakeUpHIcks
    SomebodyWakeUpHIcks Posts: 3,836 Member
    Options
    5 bucks says he "accidentally" throws a kick early. like maybe round 2. fight ends with disqualification.

everybody who bought a ticket riots.

mayweather says how he came to box, not brawl like a truck driver etc etc.

macgregor apologizes to the fans. says his natural instincts took over et cetera.

lot of hype is made of the event.

3 months later: MacGregor/Mayweather part 2 is announced for a year from now.

rioting fans buy tickets again.

Remember when Michael Johnson blew a hamstring in his race with Ben Donovan? You're exactly right here.
  • EHollander89
    EHollander89 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    I expect Mayweather to win by decision. Wouldn't be surprised if McGregor gasses after a few rounds. 12 3-minute rounds of boxing is a long time. Mayweather is a defensive boxer - McGregor isn't going to touch him. Not a Mayweather fan at all, but McGregor would have to land a one in a million shot imo. McGregor knows what he's up against and is doing it for the media coverage and pay day. In the meantime, I'm enjoying all the trash talk :smile:
  • Cerealsensei
    Cerealsensei Posts: 1,625 Member
    Options
    I'm more of an MMA guy but I'm 999 percent sure that McGregor is going to get dogged terribly. If he doesn't some how get a flash KO within the first 4 rounds Floyd is going to pick him apart with ease.

MMA boxing and actual boxing are very different especially when to take into account the footwork and defense of most boxers. Connor is gonna end up looking like Canelo and he'll be swinging at air the entire time.

Not liking Floyds personality doesn't negate that he's probably the greatest defensive boxer that ever walked the earth. If 49 other dudes could hardly touch him I don't know why people think a guy with zero boxing experience will somehow end the streak.

I feel bad for anyone who actually pays to see this, it's just a spectacle.

The real fight is GGG Vs Canelo.
  • erica_today
    erica_today Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    I expect Mayweather to win by decision. Wouldn't be surprised if McGregor gasses after a few rounds. 12 3-minute rounds of boxing is a long time. Mayweather is a defensive boxer - McGregor isn't going to touch him. Not a Mayweather fan at all, but McGregor would have to land a one in a million shot imo. McGregor knows what he's up against and is doing it for the media coverage and pay day. In the meantime, I'm enjoying all the trash talk :smile:

Gasses out???? Hahaha do you the insane amount of cardio it takes to last 5 rounds in mma? It takes way more endurance than boxing. Mayweather is a chump and will go down as one.
  • Bry_Fitness70
    Options
    I'm more of an MMA guy but I'm 999 percent sure that McGregor is going to get dogged terribly. If he doesn't some how get a flash KO within the first 4 rounds Floyd is going to pick him apart with ease.

MMA boxing and actual boxing are very different especially when to take into account the footwork and defense of most boxers. Connor is gonna end up looking like Canelo and he'll be swinging at air the entire time.

Not liking Floyds personality doesn't negate that he's probably the greatest defensive boxer that ever walked the earth. If 49 other dudes could hardly touch him I don't know why people think a guy with zero boxing experience will somehow end the streak.

I can't disagree with any of this. Yet I am going to waste my hard earned money for this, and if it is anything even resembling a competitive fight, I will probably pay to see the rematch too, lol
  • Cerealsensei
    Cerealsensei Posts: 1,625 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options

I can't disagree with any of this. Yet I am going to waste my hard earned money for this, and if it is anything even resembling a competitive fight, I will probably pay to see the rematch too, lol

At least you know what you're getting into lol. A lot of people are really thinking they're about to see the greatest fight ever and it's probably gonna be a snorefest

I hope Connor gets kissed and just throws a head kick
  • Bry_Fitness70
    Options

Yes, McGregor would beat Floyd easily in an MMA fight as well as in the street,I agree. That's exactly why he's taking the easy money and fighting McGregor on his terms. But if you don't think McGregor is not gonna get busted up bad in this fight, you haven't been watching Mayweather either. It's not like Floyd does not have power, he just chose to fight safe using the best defense in the game when he went up against other world class boxers, something McGregor is not even close to being. McGregor's fights for his career have averaged 5 mins per fight.....Mayweather has averaged 33. As bad *kitten* as McGregor is, and yes I do believe he is, if this fight go us past 5 rounds he is gonna be so gassed from trying to hit Mayweather and getting pot shotted at will, he's gonna just be target practice until the ref either stops it or he gets knocked out. As far as the gloves go....the ounces of the gloves have more to do with hand protection than it does for damage inflicted. Am MMA fighter may never in his career throw as many punches in his career as a boxer does in one 12 rd fight. That's why they use bigger gloves. But the impact of throwing a heavier object at the head.....heavier gloves....is actually more likely to cause more brain movement on impact causing concussion or knockout than if with 4 oz gloves or even bare fist.

When I watched the Mayweather-Pacquiao fight, I saw two men who were not really attempting to knock each other out. Possessing knockout power is useless if Mayweather refuses to get into meaningful exchanges. Is this a smart strategy? Absolutely. Will it win the fight against McGregor. Probably. Is it exciting? Not at all, I would rather watch two unknowns aggressively going after each other in a boxing or MMA fight than two elite boxers playing patty-cake for 12 rounds.

McGregor's conditioning will be the key factor. I wouldn't assume he will come in out of shape just because he hasn't gone long in most of his fights. UFC rounds are 5 minutes, and those extra 2 minutes at the end of a round (when a boxer gets to rest after 3) are brutal. In preparation for this fight, McGregor isn't training kicks, wrestling, martial arts, submissions, etc., which an MMA fighter must do, he is just training boxing, and attaining a level of conditioning specific to boxing.

I disagree on the gloves. Getting hit on the chin by 4 oz gloves is going to cause more trauma than 10 oz gloves, and MMA gloves inflict more cuts. If boxers used MMA gloves you wouldn't be seeing all of these fights going the distance. You are right that holding your hands up and throwing punches with bigger gloves requires better conditioning, though.

Well its sports science that concludes that getting hit with heavier things in the head will cause more trauma then getting hit with lighter things. I will say that yes a smaller glove or bare fist can cause more cuts, but as a fighter and trainer of fighters for 30+ yrs I will tell you cuts aren't all that big of a deal in determining performance, especially with a competent cut man. Sustained battering is a huge factor though.....and that's what boxers face.

I agree I would rather watch 2 game fighters going for it trying like hell to win a fight and not playing a cautious game. But even mentioning that does not pertain to the McGregor Mayweather fight. An unskilled boxer, who is tough as nails, against world class boxer that will be able to do whatever he wants to him. Canelo Alvarez who is one of the most feared punchers and boxers in the game looked like a child in their with Floyd.....it's gonna be a whitewash.

I have done this on a pro and amateur level for well over 30 yrs. I even teach striking in an MMA gym in NY and get to roll a little with them. It's not a fair fight.....and it's not because one sport is any better than the other. Just because both men are fighters doesn't mean they are interchangeable in any way.

I'll explain it this way. If you were to take Tom Brady, one of the best QB's of all time....and Jerry Rice, arguably the best wide receiver of all time....and put them in a passing competition to see who the best football player is, it's not a fair competition. Not saying Rice can't throw a ball, but not like a QB......doesn't make Rice any less great, just not a great QB. That's all this is with this fight. I personally like McGregor far more than Mayweather, but that doesn't make him any more likely to win this fight.

Here is a hypothetical, drawing on your fighting background - let's say you are walking out of the gym on a given night, and a guy approaches you and picks a fight with you; you know him and that he has some fighting skills, and that the fight is inevitable. You have a pair of 10 oz gloves in the gym bag you are carrying. If you had a moment and could do it safely, would you put your boxing gloves on before the fight? Do you think having those gloves on would give you an advantage over a bare knuckle fighter?