Vitamins and/or supplements?

Options
I was wondering what vitamins and/or supplements you all take and why those particular ones.

Thanks

Replies

• Grimmerick
    Grimmerick Posts: 3,342 Member
    Options
    I only take what I don't get enough of through food, and Vitamin D because it's important and I don't produce enough with sunlight. I only eat seafood and eggs no meat, so I take Vitamin B, Iron, Vitamin C (to aid in iron absorption), Calcium/Magnesium. I did research on the most usable forms because there is a lot of crap vitamins who have sucky absorption rates out there. Also researched when to take them as some vitamins compete with others for absorption if taken at the same time i.e. calcium and iron. As well as some vitamins are better utilized if taken on an empty stomach and some with a meal. Def research so you don't waste your money.
  • Old_Cat_Lady
    Old_Cat_Lady Posts: 1,193 Member
    Options
    If you are on a very low calorie diet, it is often recommended that you take a multivitamin in case you have any deficiencies in your diet. I take a multi and fish oil.
  • kaygeebozzz
    kaygeebozzz Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I take krill oil pills for omegas, psyllium husks for fiber and regularity, glucosamine/chondroitin/msm for my joints and bone health, turmeric for anti-inflammatory properties, magnesium and calcium, vitamin D, and I lacto-ferment stuff at home, usually drink a bit of the juice for the probiotic effect.

Krill oil has a great omega profile, plus I actually aim for low-fat in my diet because I struggle with heredity cholesterol issues, so I want to make sure I'm helping out my HDL as best as possible.

Psyllium is completely natural (it's what's in Metamucil) source of fiber and has worked excellently to help keep me regular in my pooping habits which was problematic for me when I first really upped my protein intake. It's a powder-like supplement and has almost no taste, so I like how I can add it to just about anything liquid. Just gotta stay hydrated.

The glucosamine combo is because I'm a bit older, work in a field that requires manual labor, and I do high impact sports. I feel like it's really reduced minor injury occurrence and helped with aches and pains that I'd otherwise get after long runs, etc.

Turmeric for anti-inflammatory properties at my doctor's recommendation -- always with a fat (coconut oil or olive oil) and black pepper, I tried to put it in soup or my protein shake.

Magnesium and calcium -- bones, and because I chronically underconsume magnesium in my diet. I get frequent cramping, and first started taking it then.

Vit D because I'm deficient, and I make sure my pills are an oil suspension not a powder pill because of absorption efficacy.

Hope some of this info helps!
  • jordandills
    jordandills Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I take a multivitamin sort of as nutritional insurance, vitamin d because I float around between the low end of normal and deficient, and biotin, which I've taken for years for hair growth.
  • dieorloseit
    dieorloseit Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    What is a good brand of vit d3 and multi vitamin. Is there ant vit d3 side effects if you dont go overboard.

Thanks
  • Old_Cat_Lady
    Old_Cat_Lady Posts: 1,193 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    Multivitamins have been upping their Vitamin D levels in the last couple of years. Some multis now contain as much as 1000 of Vit D which I think is plenty, especially if you get out in the sun. Store brands have exactly the same ingredients (mostly) than brands like Centrum and One a day.
    I would only take extra Vit D if my doctor told me to due to low levels in blood tests. If you live in a sunny area of the country, you are probably ok.
  • kaygeebozzz
    kaygeebozzz Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    What is a good brand of vit d3 and multi vitamin. Is there ant vit d3 side effects if you dont go overboard.

Thanks

First of all, I take Sports Research's Vit D (5,000 IU). Been very happy with it, but there are plenty of other brands out there, see what works for you. I like it because it's a liquid cap suspension in oil.

Second:
    Multivitamins have been upping their Vitamin D levels in the last couple of years. Some multis now contain as much as 1000 of Vit D which I think is plenty... I would only take extra Vit D if my doctor told me to due to low levels in blood tests.

This is really solid advice. Safe upper limit is 10,000 IU, with funky stuff like hypercalcemia occurring at more than 40,000 IU daily over a couple of months. No real reason to be taking more than 1-5,000 IU total a day unless you've been told otherwise by a doc.

Otherwise, nah -- D is a pretty safe supplement for people with healthy kidneys.
  • hiijinx
    hiijinx Posts: 9 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    I take 1000mg vit C, floradix iron/b vits tablet every day with the occasional oral Vit D.

I would love a general multivitamin which isn't full of bulking/anti caking agents, anyone know of any?
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    I take vitamin d and iron per dr. Magnesium to balance the iron. Zinc for sinuses.
  • fuzzylop72
    fuzzylop72 Posts: 651 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    b12 because I don't get hardly any in my diet, iodine because i don't really like the foods high in it and I don't really use table salt much, and d3 because i don't always get enough sun and don't want to rely on consuming foods that are supplemented with it every day
  • nexangelus
    nexangelus Posts: 2,080 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    Vit c with zinc (helps iron absorption and is a general multipurpose vitamin as well as anti-oxidant), ferroglobin fizz (always been slightly anaemic), glucosamine (joints, I am over 40) and black cohosh (menopause). I also supplement with protein powder to up my protein easily (convenience more than anything else).