eating before bed?

Options
will eating fatty foods (ice cream, cookies, chips..) before bed make you gain weight? theres mixed answers on google so thought I'd ask here

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    It will only make you gain weight if it means you're consuming more calories than your body is using. As long as you are hitting your calorie goals, it doesn't matter when you eat.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    A calorie surplus is what makes you gain weight...if you're taking in more calories than your body requires, you will gain weight regardless of when and what you eat.
  • accidentalpancake
    accidentalpancake Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    I have an avocado with hot sauce almost every night before bed. Hasn't hurt me any.
  • bobshuckleberry
    bobshuckleberry Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    I almost always eat something close to bed time. It is planned in my menu for the day. If I am not hungry I skip it.
  • Tammyjo06
    Tammyjo06 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    It's not about when you eat, it's about calorie intake. I agree with the above. As long as you're below your daily calorie intake, you should be good. I try not to eat after dinner just because it can become a bad habit and I don't want to go over my calorie goal. That being said, if I absolutely feel I need to eat something, I try to make it protein so it will stick with me.
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options
    Eating before bed causes weight gain = debunked myth.

Count calories. Eat what mfp gave you and around 1/3-1/2 of your purposeful cardio calories back. Enjoy your ice cream.
  • CaliMomTeach
    CaliMomTeach Posts: 745 Member
    Options
    I eat at night and lost over 50 pounds. I think it is all about eating fewer calories than you use.
  • maboibrahim995
    maboibrahim995 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    eating before bed = dead

• janejellyroll
    Options
    eating before bed = dead

How is everyone in this thread still living then?
  • Grimmerick
    Grimmerick Posts: 3,344 Member
    Options
    eating before bed = dead

only if you fall asleep while eating and choke on your food
  • MegaMooseEsq
    MegaMooseEsq Posts: 3,118 Member
    Options
    If I don't pay attention, I can do a lot of snacking while reading or watching TV in the evening. But again, that's about going into a surplus, not about the time of day.
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    Options
    Eating before bed is a waste of effort, because when you're asleep, you don't feel whether you're hungry or full. It's best not to eat anything.

What if I'm awake right before bed and can feel hunger then?
  • MegaMooseEsq
    MegaMooseEsq Posts: 3,118 Member
    Options
    Eating before bed is a waste of effort, because when you're asleep, you don't feel whether you're hungry or full. It's best not to eat anything.

Have you never been woken up in the middle of the night by a growling stomach? Or had a hard time falling asleep because of feeling hungry? Not to mention that a lot of people get a lot of comfort from a late night snack - maybe too much, in my case, but I'm working on it!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options

Well, I need to eat my dinner...and I can only eat my dinner around 8:30 PM...I'm usually in bed by 9:30.
  • janejellyroll
    Options

I prefer to eat later in the evening. It's not a waste of effort to me because I go to bed feeling full and happy. It also helps me because I can delay breakfast until after my morning workout.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    Eating before bed is a waste of effort, because when you're I am asleep, you I don't feel whether you're I'm hungry or full. It's bestfor me not to eat anything.

fixed it for you
  • nosebag1212
    nosebag1212 Posts: 621 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options

WRONG, I find it very difficult to sleep when I'm hungry, I always have at least 300 cal within an hour before bed (usually carbs) which helps immensely.