Options
124»

Replies

• hollyshealthylife
    hollyshealthylife Posts: 14 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    kevinf2380 wrote: »
    My wife never tells me what clothes look good on me and I suck at shopping. I usually just buy stuff online and see how it goes. As I've gotten older more of my friends are getting fitted shirts and pants. Even jeans. I'm not sure if I'm ready to drop the money for that yet. Is that what grown ups do or are there other good ways to find out what styles work for you? I've seen those sites where you can have people put together styles for you every month. The reviews of those are pretty bad.

Try Reddit; they've got some great men's style sub-reddits. It doesn't need to be expensive, and walking around in clothes that look good on you can make you feel pretty damn great.

Try:
    /malefashionadvice
    /mensfashion
    /malefashion
    /frugalmalefashion
  • Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,492 Member
    Options
    Do wives ever tell their husbands what looks good and what doesn't?

Throw a jacket on top of everything you wear and that is a good place to start.

what if it's 115 degrees outside ?
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    Motorsheen wrote: »

Then don't wear wool.

• caco_ethes
    caco_ethes Posts: 11,962 Member
    Options

Then don't wear wool.

What if its 115 and you're also a sheep?
  • Motorsheen
    Options

Then don't wear wool.

waaaaaat !?

kidnappers-sheep-2-b.jpg
  • caco_ethes
    caco_ethes Posts: 11,962 Member
    Options

Then don't wear wool.

waaaaaat !?

kidnappers-sheep-2-b.jpg

Just preparing for all scenarios.
  • Motorsheen
    Options

Unstructured jacket.

ha, well..... when it's this hot, frankly, I don't think I've seen anyone wear a jacket outside ( male or female ) in several months.

you'll see a woman carry a hoodie into the movies because they keep their thermostat set about about 15 degrees, but other than that, no jackets
  • FireTurtle75
    FireTurtle75 Posts: 2,014 Member
    Options
    My philosophy on dressing up is that clothes make me un-naked. Aside from that I don't really give a *kitten* what they look like. I'm too *kitten* old to care about impressing anyone with clothes.
  • Motorsheen
    Options

Unstructured jacket.
    [/quote

ha, well..... when it's this hot, frankly, I don't think I've seen anyone wear a jacket outside ( male or female ) in several months.

you'll see a woman carry a hoodie into the movies because they keep their thermostat set about about 15 degrees, but other than that, no jackets
    I read the first message and he didn't ask what to wear to the movie theatre.

you said: unstructured jacket

okay.... just when it's 115 degrees out, nobody wants to wear a jacket of any kind.

carry one into a business meeting, maybe

outside, you don't see it, ever.
  • _pi3_
    _pi3_ Posts: 2,311 Member
    Options
    Cool story bro
  • Grimmerick
    Grimmerick Posts: 3,344 Member
    Options
    Just NO jeans with rhinestones or a bunch of Brackets........no man.......not even Jason Momoa can pull those off...and that's saying something!
  • FireTurtle75
    FireTurtle75 Posts: 2,014 Member
    Options
    My philosophy on dressing up is that clothes make me un-naked. Aside from that I don't really give a *kitten* what they look like. I'm too *kitten* old to care about impressing anyone with clothes.

I disagree. Not that you can't do what you want, of course. But it matters, and not in a superficial way. I've had more women express interest in me since I began dressing well than I received from putting on 40 pounds of muscle. This is an absolute true story. I guess they notice the wrapping paper more than what's inside.

The more interested parties means you get to choose from good options*. Now, you may be so charismatic that clothes don't matter, that does happen. But for most of us, it's a ticket to the next conversation happening, and starting from a positive, welcomed place.

I'm not advocating for dressing like a peacock, only for being a bit put together. It matters to many of those potentially interested in you, even if it doesn't to you.

*none of this applies to me, as I'm old and spoken for. But I still try, and my wife appreciates it. She also appreciates me turning away the occasional interested party. :ohwell:

I guess I'll keep doing what I'm doing then. Me being married & attracting attention from women with whom I am not married by dressing nice, would cause more of a *kitten* storm home than I ever care to hide under an umbrella from. LOL But yeah, that would make sense for the single guy looking to add some extra glue to their fly paper.
  • SoulRadiation
    SoulRadiation Posts: 1,060 Member
    Options
    lol right now most of my clothes are from Bass Pro Shop
  • SoulRadiation
    SoulRadiation Posts: 1,060 Member
    Options
    TheRoadDog wrote: »
    I just wear black shirts and denim pants when I am at work or on my motorcycle. I bought 12 black button down long sleeved shirts for work. Exactly the same thing every day. Only difference on my motorcycle is that the shirts are usually short sleeved tees and some have sayings. I just bought a dozen denim pants same style, same color. The only time I dress differently is on vacation or in the summer when I change to shorts and tees. Same tees.

That's the difference between men and women. If I need new shirts, I go on line first. 95% of the time that does it. Occasionally, I'll go to the store, but I go directly to the black shirt rack. No looking around. In and out.

When I go with my wife or daughters and they're shopping, it's a whole different excursion. Kohl's Cash, Coupons, BOGO. Up and down every aisle. Buying stuff that I know half of which will be returned sometime in the future.

My wife is the same way...Kohls drives me crazy too...I do sometimes go there, but I hate how you basically need a calculator to figure out what anything in the store actually costs.

• Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,841 Member
    Options
    kevinf2380 wrote: »
    ...what styles work for you?

pon0zdpwu81couh.jpg

Of course, IDGAF about style anymore, soooo....

• pita7317
    pita7317 Posts: 1,437 Member
    Options
    My hubby's favs age 50+. Tommy Bahama shirts. Black or black white combo golf/ polo type shirts or 1/4 zip lightweight pullovers, black jeans or khaki jeans. A cantaloupe color Tommy Bahama shirt was once at the top of the list however.
    I think longer inseam shorts look better on older men ? 11" or at least 10".
    And socks ? Low cut only if you must unless you are wearing long pants.