Sautéed Foods! Help!

Options
TorStar80
TorStar80 Posts: 252 Member
I need help. How do I log foods that have been sautéed? Let's say I use no oil and sauté them... do they contain more calories than raw? I feel like this should be logical but I want to err on the side of caution and make sure I'm not screwing up.
Thanks!!

Replies

• malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    If you aren't adding anything to them, they'd have the same nutritional content as raw
  • Colt1835
    Colt1835 Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    I weigh my veggies raw and again after they have been cooked. Then take the calories from the raw weight and divide it by the cooked weight to get a per gram calorie amount. I'm not sure if it's completely accurate though.
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    The cooking process primarily reduces water content. It may lower the weight but not the calories. It will not increase the calories unless you add ingredients for cooking, but if you are diabetic, cooking can increase the glycemic index (how quickly the sugars in food are absorbed by the bloodstream).
  • TorStar80
    Options
    Thanks everyone.. :)
  • Colt1835
    Options
    malibu927 wrote: »
    If you aren't adding anything to them, they'd have the same nutritional content as raw

This is alright if you are going to eat it all, but if you are feeding a family it's not enough to know that the calories are the same. That's why I weigh twice.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    Colt1835 wrote: »
    I weigh my veggies raw and again after they have been cooked. Then take the calories from the raw weight and divide it by the cooked weight to get a per gram calorie amount. I'm not sure if it's completely accurate though.

No - you'd just log the raw weight. They didn't lose calories - they lost water. Water has zero calories.

You can use the recipe builder if you're cooking a bunch of different veggies and serving to your family. Or for just one type - weigh the total and divide it until the number of servings you want. So if you had 400 grams of carrots but you're only eating 1/4 - Log the calories for 100 grams. Cook them, weigh them - now say they're 200 grams - take your 50 grams (200/4) - but it still is the same calories as for 100 raw grams.
  • Colt1835
    Options

No - you'd just log the raw weight. They didn't lose calories - they lost water. Water has zero calories.
    I know water has zero calories, but water has weight so unless I eat everything I weighed raw, I would need more information than that.

• Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options

I know water has zero calories, but water has weight so unless I eat everything I weighed raw, I would need more information than that.

Okay - you can log whatever you want and for most veggies it isn't really going to matter but when you get closer to your goal weight you might need to be more accurate and if you're only logging partial calories because you don't like the higher number you may run into issues.
  • Colt1835
    Options

Okay - you can log whatever you want and for most veggies it isn't really going to matter but when you get closer to your goal weight you might need to be more accurate and if you're only logging partial calories because you don't like the higher number you may run into issues.

I get a higher calorie content weighing the way I do rather than just using the raw weight for a cooked food.
  • Meganthedogmom
    Meganthedogmom Posts: 1,639 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options

I get a higher calorie content weighing the way I do rather than just using the raw weight for a cooked food.

Hmm...
  • Colt1835
    Options

Hmm...

yes?
  • TorStar80
    Options
    I did find an article that talks about the density of veggies once cooked, but i guess if it's just one person eating then it shouldn't matter.
  • Colt1835
    Options
    TorStar80 wrote: »
    I did find an article that talks about the density of veggies once cooked, but i guess if it's just one person eating then it shouldn't matter.

Yeah, If it's just you weigh it before you cook it and you're good.
  • bruby28
    bruby28 Posts: 4,123 Member
    Options
    I just put in sauteed veggies whatever they are - example 1 cup sauteed mushrooms . If with oil add oil ( 1 tbs coconut oil )