Gaining Chest Mass

Options
I've tried just benching and flies and also tried push ups and incline/decline bench. It seems like my chest gets stronger but I get no mass. I do see a difference in my shoulders and arms. I'm guessing they are taking more of the load than my chest. I'm doing bench press currently and I'm wondering if maybe my grip is too far out and that is working my arms and shoulders more than my chest I don't know. The grip feels comfortable so I keep using it.

I remember as a teenager I used to do chest exercises until I couldn't touch my elbows together and that was my gauge. I figured that was just an immature way to gauge how your pump was similar to trying to touch your thumb to your shoulder after doing arm exercises. Do some people still do that?

Replies

• Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    What are your stats and average weight gain per month?
  • kevinf2380
    kevinf2380 Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    5'10, 178. Just started so I don't really know what my gains are per month.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    You'll see some mass when your nearing 200 lbs with correct programming and eating in a surplus.

Strength will always come easy when just starting out compared to mass. You should gain strength every session for a couple months at least. You certainly shouldn't expect noticable mass if you are just started though.
  • Rusty740
    Rusty740 Posts: 749 Member
    Options
    Chieflrg wrote: »
    You'll see some mass when your nearing 200 lbs with correct programming and eating in a surplus.

Strength will always come easy when just starting out compared to mass. You should gain strength every session for a couple months at least. You certainly shouldn't expect noticable mass if you are just started though.

I vote this^ too. You'll need to get your volume up for chest too. You can prioritize your chest by doing those exercises first, but if that's really a focus for you do some extra sets of 8-12 at 60-75% 1RM and see how your recovery goes. If you can't do the same thing the next week, increase until you fail, then you found approximately the upper end of the volume range for you. It will vary quite a bit but you might need to figure out if its 10, 15 or 20 sets per week on average, then bounce up and down around that range, while slowly adding weight to the bar.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    blakejohn wrote: »
    with any muscle group I always seen the best results when failure is achieved. After a warm up, I start heavy and then pyramid down, raising the reps. When I can't do any more I do negatives till failure. I do not workout that muscle group again for at least 7 to 10days

There are exactly 0 professional trainers who suggest working out so hard that 7 days rest is required...

Furthermore, 7-10 days rest almost ensures that you will go backward and not forward in progression.
  • blakejohn
    blakejohn Posts: 1,129 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    with any muscle group I always seen the best results when failure is achieved. After a warm up, I start heavy and then pyramid down, raising the reps. When I can't do any more I do negatives till failure. I do not workout that muscle group again for at least 7 to 10days

There are exactly 0 professional trainers who suggest working out so hard that 7 days rest is required...

Furthermore, 7-10 days rest almost ensures that you will go backward and not forward in progression.

it's been working for me the past 15 years and it's was part of the training I did to stand on stage in a bodybuilding show. Took home first place for my age class

• Scotty2HotPie
    Scotty2HotPie Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    A muscle pump is temporary and not indicative of actual muscle gain.

Have you been tracking progress with a tape measure? You may gained a little and not visibly seen it yet.

Don't get frustrated!
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    Not to be a downer, but genetics can also come into play. My brother couldn't develop his chest for crap. Had huge shoulders & traps tho. I was the opposite, just looking at the bench press gave me a decent chest,(I kid) but I struggled to build my shoulders.
  • Rammer123
    Rammer123 Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    You have to teach yourself to contract your chest. It's really easy to let your delt and triceps to take over in any chest exercise if you are not concentrating on a contraction in your chest.
  • kevinf2380
    Options
    rybo wrote: »
    Not to be a downer, but genetics can also come into play. My brother couldn't develop his chest for crap. Had huge shoulders & traps tho. I was the opposite, just looking at the bench press gave me a decent chest,(I kid) but I struggled to build my shoulders.

I've definitely thought about this. I've had friends like that. They seem to have massive gains in their chest while we were doing the same workouts and my gains were always in my lats and shoulders.
  • kevinf2380
    edited July 2017
    Options
    You have to teach yourself to contract your chest. It's really easy to let your delt and triceps to take over in any chest exercise if you are not concentrating on a contraction in your chest.

I get what you're saying and I've tried to focus more on that. What's interesting is I feel like I'm contracting my chest the most when doing tricep push downs.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    kevinf2380 wrote: »

I get what you're saying and I've tried to focus more on that. What's interesting is I feel like I'm contracting my chest the most when doing tricep push downs.

Have you tried Dumbell flat presses?
  • pbryd
    pbryd Posts: 364 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    Just started so I don't really know what my gains are per month.

There's the answer, right there.
  • Z_I_L_L_A
    Z_I_L_L_A Posts: 2,399 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    I know I'm gaining muscle because of my strength going up. But of course you will lift more if you weigh more. It takes a while to figure out what works for you. There's a whole lot of things contributing to mass in that area. What you eat, how much you eat, supplements, whether you lift heavy or light. This is my 15 year old nephew he's gained 25 lbs in 7 months on diet, and supplements and 2 a days. Of course he's been lifting since he was 10, started doing lower reps when he reached 12.71lio0503l8p.jpg
  • dieselbyte
    dieselbyte Posts: 733 Member
    Options

I don't say this to be rude, but I don't personally believe your physique is something to aspire to. Studies prove muscle protein synthesis in a muscle returns to normal at a max of 48 hours, therefore muscle growth does not occur after that time. If you work a muscle group too hard, most of the time will be spent on recovery for that muscle, thereby limiting growth. Working to complete failure and resting 7-10 days is no where near optimal. Optimal growth will occur working a muscle group 2-3 times/week. Body building splits, focusing on particular muscle groups each session, work better for enhanced athletes.
  • Rammer123
    Options

Whenever you're doing a pressing exercises keep your shoulders blades pulled back and you can even try doing underhand presses to help feel the contraction better.

I'd say go down a bit in weight and concentrate every single rep. Your chest doesn't care or know the number of pounds your lifting. It know's the stress you're putting on it. If you are able to concentrate and contract your chest more with 50lb dumbbell presses compared to 70lb dumbbell presses, where you're only really contracting enough to put up 40lb but your triceps and shoulders are helping with the additional 30lb, then you'll get more work to your chest obviously doing the 50lb presses.

It will take time. I am the opposite. My back and chest grow crazy, and my arms and shoulders lag, so I have to tailor my training around that (for aesthetics) to be able to contract my biceps, triceps and shoulders rather than letting the stronger muscle groups take over.
  • kevinf2380
    Options

I have tried that as well as incline dumbbell press. I do have some upper chest growth but nothing in the outer or inner chest really.
  • Rammer123
    Options

I have tried that as well as incline dumbbell press. I do have some upper chest growth but nothing in the outer or inner chest really.

Underhand presses will help to work your upper chest much more than incline presses. Something like 40% more activation in the underhand press compared to an 10 or 15% increase with an incline Press. Either way, if you aren't contracting your chest, it means nothing.
  • MityMax96
    MityMax96 Posts: 5,778 Member
    Options
    @op
    Could be genetics in the end.
    I know for me. My upper chest development sux.
    I'm 6'1" @ ~168 lbs.
    I can incline bench 235 x 4
    I can flat bench 255 x 5
    I can do flat bench DB using 100 for 6-8 reps.
    Inclines at 80+ lbs.
    I vary rep and set ranges as well.
    And in the end. My upper chest doesn't get bigger.

Just keep grinding.
    Try not to flare ur elbows also. Sounds like this may be what ur doing since u noted that ur arms and shoulders appear to be developing.