Lets talk FLEXIBILITY!

Options
Syneea
Syneea Posts: 451 Member
Folks!

Who achieved their splits as an adult (you were very inflexible initially) and how long did it take you?!

Also, anyone used to have Super tight hammies/lower back WITH frequent stretching, but you finally found a method/routine/yoga - whatever, that has Really loosened you up to where touching the ground with straight legs is NOTHING - and it's not just because you have long arms and/or short legs?? :-)

Replies

• Titanuim
    Titanuim Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    I am/was very inflexible and am working towards the goal of achieving the splits. It is a very slow process and might be something that I never achieve, as body structure/muscle insertion points potentially could make it impossible but I refuse to stop trying as I have made good progress over the last 12 months.

For the past year I have been doing a lot of pilates and aerial yoga with my sessions ranging from minimum of two sessions per week up to about 6 sessions. I also do weight lifting and aerial hoop and pole dancing which helps a little with flexibility issues.

About a month ago I completely quit caffeine as my research on how to improve flexibility indicated that caffeine keeps the central nervous system "tight" and as a result the ligaments don't relax as needed to when attempting middle splits. Since quitting (which was an awful experience as I love coffee) I have made significant progress which is encouraging.

I am almost at the point of ramping up my stretching regimes so it is a daily intentional practice to see if I can make quicker progress down to the floor. Or it the alternative I am kicking around the idea of really focusing on handstands as apparently if you are working on your press handstand, looser hip flexors and hamstrings is a happy byproduct.

If you are not naturally flexible (and older) it is a challenging process as it is slow, but is definitely possible.

Would love to hear about other non bendy people's experiences
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,922 Member
    Options
    I can reach down and touch my ... knees. Yay for that much flexibility. Oh, and my legs simply do not split.
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    Options
    My lower back issues are almost always exacerbated by tightness in my glutes and/or hips. Stretching, foam rolling, and mobility work usually help, I'm just not as proactive about it as I should be.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    I am about as flexible as a dry twig!

i did recently notice though that the stretches i do after working out have got deeper - that's after probably 18 months of doing them regularly ( at least 5x a week).
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    This is a timely thread. My daughter likes working out with me sometimes. Last night I was trying to help her and found out that she can't bend over and touch the floor. I can bend over and touch with my palms lying flat on the floor.

I was pretty inflexible originally (as in had a hard time reaching around to wash my back) and just became more flexible over time. I do some stretching, mostly on lower body lifting days. I've never specifically set out to have a stretching workout or anything though. I think that all of the RDLs have helped with this.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    So I can't really chime in on the being inflexible thing because I am the opposite. However, I do have advanced flexibility goals of getting closer to where I was when I was a gymnast (such as working for my oversplit). And really, you just need to be committed. Flexibility diminishes really quickly if stretching isn't maintained. There are of course potential limitations in adults but the more flexible the better. There are known better outcomes for the elderly/older in staying independent when both flexible and strong.

I'd just look up some yoga for flexibility videos and go from there. There are effectively "compound" stretches much like lifts. And you can add in "accessory" work when you get more advanced. I'd highly recommend getting any aids recommended such as blocks to help if very tight.

I am also personally going to invest in a stretching strap. Good for advanced stretching but also as an aid to things like leg stretching when on your back. If you can't reach you calf etc the strap gives you a way to still assist the stretch.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,561 Member
    Options
    I could almost do the splits in my 20's. Not even close now, but because of kickboxing and stiff legged deadlifts, I've kept a pretty good degree of flexibility.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • BRobertson23
    BRobertson23 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I used to be able to do the splits in high school when I did dance and cheerleading. Ultimately, flexibility is a use it or loose it thing. I didn't use it enough and I reduce my flexibility A LOT! I took up running regularly 3 years ago and was having some issues and realized I was needing to stretch and regain flexibility to have less discomfort. I just did basic stretches, but focused a lot on my hammies. I've since not been running regularly, but I am doing yoga sessions at home with YouTube videos. It's helping me focus on my alignment and it's helping me gain some of my flexibility back.
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Options
    I took an extended stretch class with a circus school a few years back. It was a 90 minute class once a week, and they billed it as a sort of beginner's contortion. It was thorough! I got pretty close to box splits and a full front splits in just a couple of weeks.
  • bootyful79
    bootyful79 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Flexibility is definitely my weakness. I need to focus on it more and make some gains there, but its so boring!
  • Bookworm1860
    Bookworm1860 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I'm curious, why the focus on splits? That's not a flexibility that makes any real difference in day to day activity.
  • CTcutie
    CTcutie Posts: 649 Member
    Options
    Yoga for about a month (only 1-2x a week; class at my gym) and I could easily stand w legs together, or wide-stance, and touch my palms to the ground. I'm SUPER excited about that! :smiley: Splits- I haven't tried one, so I have no idea.
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    There actually is no gain to being super bendy. The important thing is to eat right and exercise.
  • Syneea
    Syneea Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    There actually is no gain to being super bendy. The important thing is to eat right and exercise.

There are many sports/activities in which the athletes/participants (if you choose not to call yourself an athlete), benefit from a certain degree of flexibility - namely kickboxing, pole fitness, aerial yoga, weight lifting, dance (different types) to name a few...Shoot, a wide receiver would as well based on some of the games I've seen...;-) I guess what constitutes "super bendy" is subjective though.

I posed the question because I would like to be a bit more flexible for my kickboxing and dance class. I wanted to hear 'tried and true' methods that worked for others so I could apply them to see if they would work for me....Thanks for the feedback everyone... especially those who went into great detail!

Melanie I will be googling "circus school" that's for sure.. thanks for that tip. Lol
    Keep the comments coming! :-)
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    It depends entirely on where you're starting from but i've seen tons of people achieve splits (right and left, middle takes longer) in a few months or half a year if they're totally inflexibile with 4-5 weekly stretching. Doing other things that require flexibility like a proper bridge, elevate splits, middle splits, etc. can take a year to several years depending on your current flexibility.

Tried and true method can be found below:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zCi7trpTYmg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4OY8ijDhsV4

These are the exact stretches i did in gymnastics to get my splits (and far beyond). :)
  • Mouse_Potato
    Mouse_Potato Posts: 1,495 Member
    Options
    I got my first split at 42 after years of inflexibility. I've been taking pole and silks classes for the last five years, but what really helped me was Alethea Austin's DVD "Pure Splits." I've also started taking a flexibility class and made some amazing progress in the last year.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    Curiously, I find box (middle) splits the easiest to develop back to quickly, Probably my hammies are a bit tight and a hypermobile back masks that when doing things like touching your toes. A couple of days consistent stretching and I can nose to knees.
    rainbowbow wrote: »
    It depends entirely on where you're starting from but i've seen tons of people achieve splits (right and left, middle takes longer) in a few months or half a year if they're totally inflexibile with 4-5 weekly stretching. Doing other things that require flexibility like a proper bridge, elevate splits, middle splits, etc. can take a year to several years depending on your current flexibility.

Tried and true method can be found below:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zCi7trpTYmg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4OY8ijDhsV4

These are the exact stretches i did in gymnastics to get my splits (and far beyond). :)

MEMORIES. Makes me remember just how flexible I was (I was rhythmic bendy but an artistic gymnast, was kind of known for it on the "circuit").
  • Bookworm1860
    Bookworm1860 Posts: 54 Member
    Options

Actually, being super bendy can be a detriment. Just ask anyone with any hypermobility syndrome. I would very happily give any of you my ability to do a split if in exchange someone would give me knees, shoulders, and ankles with bones that stay where they belong.

The middle splits video - when she got to frog I laughed out loud. That's how I slept as a kid, except I usually drapped my feet off opposite sides of the bed. :open_mouth: