one week I loose 7lbs and one week I loose nothing....

Options
So I am not new to my fitness pal or the diet seen. I have always used this site for years and I have always gotten great results with this website. This time however I am starting to notice a pattern and its starting to get on my nerves! I will have a great week and loose 6-8lbs and then the week after I will loose nothing. I am on week 7 and I have seen this every other week!! This has never happened before. I have not changed my eating and I have the same level of activity as weeks I lose and I get nothing the second week. Help me out...what can I do to stop this to get a loss after I lose big. I have a goal in mind to lose 50lbs before October 7th and I have lost 22lbs since June 19th.

Replies

• noirelb
    noirelb Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    My mom gains about 6 lbs the week before her periods. And apparently it can happen around ovulation. If you've had a baby/not on a contraceptive anymore, your cycle can change and make this happen to you. It would also show as no weight loss then huge loss on a scale from week to week. Just a thought! BUT congrats on the huge loss!!! :smiley:
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,951 Member
    Options
    How many pounds do you have to lose total and how many calories are you eating per day? How tall are you?

You've averaged a loss of almost 4 pounds per week over the last 5.5 weeks. I suspect your deficit is too high and that if you pace yourself and eat more, your weekly losses will even out.
  • rmgnow
    rmgnow Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    Considering that you're losing more than normal, I say - Do nothing
  • animatorswearbras
    animatorswearbras Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    You're seeing water weight fluctuations they both exaggerate and mask loss, it's a very frequent occurrence in the first month of starting or restarting as your body adjusts to your new routine, it will even out and possibly slow down a little after a few more weeks, however you will never get steady completely predictable loss because of water weight fluctuations (especially being female), I'm still up and down, as long as the trend is downwards over the course of a month all good. :)
  • Muscleflex79
    Muscleflex79 Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    So I am not new to my fitness pal or the diet seen. I have always used this site for years and I have always gotten great results with this website. This time however I am starting to notice a pattern and its starting to get on my nerves! I will have a great week and loose 6-8lbs and then the week after I will loose nothing. I am on week 7 and I have seen this every other week!! This has never happened before. I have not changed my eating and I have the same level of activity as weeks I lose and I get nothing the second week. Help me out...what can I do to stop this to get a loss after I lose big. I have a goal in mind to lose 50lbs before October 7th and I have lost 22lbs since June 19th.

so you are losing 6-8 pounds every other week - what is the problem???
  • MrsLengares2015
    MrsLengares2015 Posts: 28 Member
    Options

Thank you all for your responses. I guess its just the way my body is going to do it!!

To Muscleflex79: I thought I should be losing every week not just every other week. To eat right and bust your *kitten* working out and to see not even 1 pound is annoying!!
  • MrsLengares2015
    Options
    rmgnow wrote: »
    Considering that you're losing more than normal, I say - Do nothing

I was told because I was so big I had more to lose then the avg person and I went from eating about 4,000 calories a day going out to eat, soda and fast food to 1,500 calories a day. I also didn't do anything except sit on the couch to biking, walking and going to the gym. I was told losing as much as I have was normal.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options

Thank you all for your responses. I guess its just the way my body is going to do it!!

To Muscleflex79: I thought I should be losing every week not just every other week. To eat right and bust your *kitten* working out and to see not even 1 pound is annoying!!

You're not going to lose weight every day or even every week. Some times not even every month. Our bodies are wondrous and fascinating creations that we don't fully understand.
  • MrsLengares2015
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    How many pounds do you have to lose total and how many calories are you eating per day? How tall are you?

You've averaged a loss of almost 4 pounds per week over the last 5.5 weeks. I suspect your deficit is too high and that if you pace yourself and eat more, your weekly losses will even out.

I want/have to lose 140lbs total. I am 5'5" and I eat anywhere from 1200 to 1500 a day
  • MrsLengares2015
    Options
    It's highly unlikely you kept a deficit large enough to lose 6-8lbs of fat so what probably happened is water fluctuating (it goes both ways) is hiding your fat loss the 2nd week etc. Thermodynamically speaking you are owed 1lb of fat loss for ever 3500 calories you cut from your maintenance. Do the math

Would water fluctuating have dropped a pants size already? I think not...I truly believe I have lost 22lbs of fat.
  • inertiastrength
    inertiastrength Posts: 2,343 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    It's highly unlikely you kept a deficit large enough to lose 6-8lbs of fat so what probably happened is water fluctuating (it goes both ways) is hiding your fat loss the 2nd week etc. Thermodynamically speaking you are owed 1lb of fat loss for ever 3500 calories you cut from your maintenance. Do the math

Would water fluctuating have dropped a pants size already? I think not...I truly believe I have lost 22lbs of fat.

If you have 140 to lose you're probably right after the first week, but I misunderstood your ticker and thought you had only 50... my bad.
  • MrsLengares2015
    Options
    noirelb wrote: »
    My mom gains about 6 lbs the week before her periods. And apparently it can happen around ovulation. If you've had a baby/not on a contraceptive anymore, your cycle can change and make this happen to you. It would also show as no weight loss then huge loss on a scale from week to week. Just a thought! BUT congrats on the huge loss!!! :smiley:

This makes sense. The weeks I haven't lost anything including this week have been Monthly cycle or ovulation. I
    have not had a baby but was on birth control for 7 years however I have been off the pill for 5 years. Thanks for your reply!
  • inertiastrength
    inertiastrength Posts: 2,343 Member
    Options
    Also I wasn't suggesting what you lost was water, I was suggesting the fluctuations both up and down can hide fat loss. It's not going to be linear every time and an average of 6lbs every 2 weeks is insanely great progress. I don't see a problem
  • noirelb
    noirelb Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    noirelb wrote: »

This makes sense. The weeks I haven't lost anything including this week have been Monthly cycle or ovulation. I
    have not had a baby but was on birth control for 7 years however I have been off the pill for 5 years. Thanks for your reply!

Yes! that would do it...without birth control your body is a free for all of hormones so it's most definitely water retention on those weeks. And I know it's frustrating not to lose some weeks but at least you can now look at the scale on those weeks and realize that you have water retention and that you will shed it the next week.

And I also lost about 20lbs in my first 1.5 months from maybe 3000 calories couch potato to 1300-1600 calories walking and cycling and about 1 size down! My weight loss has now slowed down but I also only want to lose another 40 lbs (I'm 5'10'') so I'm sure yours won't slow down anytime soon :smile: KEEP UP THE GREAT WORK!!
  • MrsLengares2015
    Options
    Also I wasn't suggesting what you lost was water, I was suggesting the fluctuations both up and down can hide fat loss. It's not going to be linear every time and an average of 6lbs every 2 weeks is insanely great progress. I don't see a problem

Ok. If you don't see a problem and the rest of you don't see a problem then I guess I will not get discouraged and hope keep going the way I have been. Thanks for your help.
  • Muscleflex79
    Muscleflex79 Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options

Ok. If you don't see a problem and the rest of you don't see a problem then I guess I will not get discouraged and hope keep going the way I have been. Thanks for your help.

most everyone else would kill to get those losses every other week...be prepared that this rate won't last forever and enjoy it while you can!
  • MrsLengares2015
    Options

most everyone else would kill to get those losses every other week...be prepared that this rate won't last forever and enjoy it while you can!

I know it won't last for ever. The smaller I get the less I will lose. Its been 4 years since I was under 200lbs and I would lose about a pound & a half per week avg.
  • mllc2017
    mllc2017 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I think what happens (if you are truly in a deficit)... the first week you lose 6lbs maybe 3 of it is fat and 3 is water. So the next week when you do not lose lbs maybe your body comp has changed slightly because maybe you gained those 3lbs of water back but lost 3lbs of fat and so the scale doesn't change. I have noticed with myself that I lose for a couple weeks and then at a certain point in my cycle I start retaining water so I don't lose any weight for about a week and a half but I do not freak out because then after I have my period I lose the water and after I'm less bloated I can see that I actually look better and have lost more fat.

I really wish there was a way to get the message out to people not to be discouraged if you don't lose weight for a week or two when you seem to be doing everything right. The overall trend is what's really important. Sometimes I think people get to the 2-3rd week stop seeing a good loss, get in their own head and then end up self sabotaging when if they would just be patient and keep at it for another week or two they would see the loss.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options

Look at it this way.....8 pounds in 2 weeks is an average of 4 pounds a week. This is an amazing number. You didn't get "gypped." An 8 pound loss (if it were all fat loss) would be an 8 x 3,500 / 7 = a 4,000 calorie deficit every single day. I find that hard to believe your TDEE = 4,000 + the food you ate.

As you get closer to goal this number will go down...........