What the health?

Options
Has anyone watched the Netflix "documentary", What the health? Any opinions on what they are advising?

I've seen quite a few different health/food docs and they all seem to contradict each other and induce scare tactics. It's hard to know what's good or bad for us anymore.

Replies

• Strives4Progress
    Strives4Progress Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Ok. Good to know. Ty :smile:
  • OliveGirl128
    OliveGirl128 Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    There's been numerous threads about this 'documentary' already, (you can find them with the search option on top), but yeah-there's been quite a backlash from many vegans over this.

• Old_Cat_Lady
    Old_Cat_Lady Posts: 1,193 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    Animal rights activists making up stories that meat causes cancer, osteoporosis, arthritis, etc, etc.
    Funny they don't just say eating a piece of meat will kill you on the spot.
    They take data and screw around with it.
  • Strives4Progress
    Strives4Progress Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    There's been numerous threads about this 'documentary' already, (you can find them with the search option on top), but yeah-there's been quite a backlash from many vegans over this.

Sorry. I did try searching the forums first but nothing came up.
  • Old_Cat_Lady
    Old_Cat_Lady Posts: 1,193 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    Here is a review from a site: (they skew data - royally)
    https://www.vox.com/science-and-health/2017/7/25/16018658/what-the-health-documentary-review-vegan-diet
    They will stop at nothing until every single animal is "saved".

Decades ago, all they could do is throw a bucket of paint at fur coats. Now, they have the internet.
  • Wednesday_Mouse
    Wednesday_Mouse Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Yeah, even as a vegan I can't reccomend this documentary. It's awful. That's not to say there aren't huge benefits to a plant-based or vegan diet, but I really really wouldn't rely on this as a source of information.
  • OliveGirl128
    Options

Sorry. I did try searching the forums first but nothing came up.

Weird, when I tried searching just now nothing came up either? Think the search option is being glitchy right now.

I just did a quick manual search because this topic has been floating around a lot lately, and here's the most recent thread about it

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10578059/netflix-what-the-health#latest

• goldthistime
    goldthistime Posts: 3,214 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    In support of the view that veganism hasn't been proven to be healthier than omnivorism (not sure if that's a word), I found this article with reference to a specific study and other existing studies:

https://www.google.ca/amp/nationalpost.com/news/canada/vegetarians-study-lower-risk-death/wcm/ffea78b6-40cd-4de2-a0e5-920e362f5d25/amp

It's titled: "Sorry, vegetarians. A new study says eating green won't lower your risk of early death"

And contained this statement "After adjusting for other factors, such as age, smoking and alcohol consumption, and a history of ever being diagnosed with high blood pressure or conditions like Type 2 diabetes, heart disease and stroke the researchers found no evidence that any of the variations of vegetarian diets had a protective effect on early death."
  • Hypsibius
    Hypsibius Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    Has anyone watched the Netflix "documentary", What the health? Any opinions on what they are advising?

I've seen quite a few different health/food docs and they all seem to contradict each other and induce scare tactics. It's hard to know what's good or bad for us anymore.

I watched it. If I recall (and I'm not splicing together food documentaries) there's some useful information in there about the unethical treatment of animals, how the industry bullies farmers, and just how poorly the chickens are treated.

It jumps the shark when it starts telling people that white meat chicken is as dangerous as smoking (it's not). In fact, those genetically-infused big-breasted chickens are pretty good for you.

Legitimate questions here, but telling outright lies isn't the way to get ask them.
  • OliveGirl128
    Options
    In support of the view that veganism hasn't been proven to be healthier than omnivorism (not sure if that's a word), I found this article with reference to a specific study and other existing studies:

https://www.google.ca/amp/nationalpost.com/news/canada/vegetarians-study-lower-risk-death/wcm/ffea78b6-40cd-4de2-a0e5-920e362f5d25/amp

It's titled: "Sorry, vegetarians. A new study says eating green won't lower your risk of early death"

And contained this statement "After adjusting for other factors, such as age, smoking and alcohol consumption, and a history of ever being diagnosed with high blood pressure or conditions like Type 2 diabetes, heart disease and stroke the researchers found no evidence that any of the variations of vegetarian diets had a protective effect on early death."

A bit connected-if you look at the Blue Zones, there's only one vegetarian group that qualifies, and of that group there's a sub-group within that community that includes fish into their diets and they have even better longevity of life outcomes. The common thread between the different zone groups is the focus on plant based foods, but all, except for the one vegetarian group, still include fish and other meat in small amounts, as well as other animal products like goat's milk, cheese made from sheep milk etc.

http://www.npr.org/sections/thesalt/2015/04/11/398325030/eating-to-break-100-longevity-diet-tips-from-the-blue-zones
  • OliveGirl128
    edited July 2017
    Options
  • Jillj32
    Jillj32 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Not good
  • goldthistime
    goldthistime Posts: 3,214 Member
    Options
    New study out talking specificially about plant based diets, saying that people can eat an unhealthy plant based diet or a healthy one. Healthy plant based diets do result in a decreased risk of CHD, but unhealthy plant based diets have an increased risk.

Healthful was defined as containing whole grains, fruits/vegetables, nuts/legumes, oils, tea/coffee. Unhealthful was defined as containing juices/sweetened beverages, refined grains, potatoes/fries, sweets.

"Healthful and Unhealthful Plant-Based Diets and the Risk of Coronary Heart Disease in U.S. Adults", in Journal of American College of Cardiology, July 2017

http://www.onlinejacc.org/content/70/4/411?download=true&sso=1&sso_redirect_count=4&access_token=
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options

This is because documentaries of any kind are biased towards their agenda...they're actually really crappy sources of information regardless of the topic. They can be interesting, but you have to take them with a huge grain of salt and seek out alternative points of view.