Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Curing severe acid reflux with diet

Options
ssrgnt
ssrgnt Posts: 2 Member
I was just diagnosed with GERD and reflux esophagitis. I have never had stomach issues until I took Naproxen awhile back for my hip bursitis. I possibly have ulcers (still waiting for my biopsy results) as a result of taking that. Now the Dr wants me to take a proton pump inhibitor. But everything I read points to change in diet. Can I get rid of this heartburn naturally with just changing my diet? I'm a week into a new diet with no relief. I also can't find any success stories anywhere. Is this even possible? And tums, mylanta, pepto...none of that works for me. I have cut out all processed foods, soda, chocolate, mint, tomatoes, fatty foods, red meat and spicy foods. Thanks in advance.

Replies

• Treece68
    Treece68 Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    Nothing helps me but the 40mg of prilosec. I could eat nothing and still have it. I have lost 30lbs but still have it. I am guessing it is partially due to no gallbladder.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    you can try diet but it may not work . do you produce too much acid or too little? its good to know which one is the cuprit.I produce way too much, so for me diet alone didnt help. I have to take a PPI and a H2 receptor blocker.only thing that works. I still get a bit of indigestion but its nothing like it was.

I take the H2 receptor blocker at night before I go to bed. for me some things bother me at times and others no issues.if you have ulcers the best thing to do is to take meds to let it heal. Gerd and other issues like that can cause things like barretts esophagus and other issues so taking meds even for a short time can improve things.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    Options
    Don't take proton pump inhibitors. I'd recommend ranitidine (fewer potential side effects) and elimination (get rid of the most common triggers- chocolate, tomatoes, onions, garlic, beans), don't eat within 3 hours of sleeping, and get a wedge for sleeping on. Lower your daily stress levels as well.

why should she not take a PPI? and ranitidine may not work for everyone so why tell her to take that and not a PPI?. not to mention she should listen to her dr and follow his/her advice.what triggers Gerd for some will not be triggers for others either.
  • WickedPineapple
    WickedPineapple Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    It doesn't hurt to try. Definitely pay attention to trigger foods. They might not be what you expect, so write it down if it helps you remember. But if it comes down to it, meds might be the way to go.

Personally, I only have a few certain foods and drinks that are obviously triggers. One that surprised me was an herbal tea I like. When I mentioned it to my husband, he said the tea gave him heartburn too. I tried to manage it without medication, eliminating all the common triggers from my diet and modifying my habits. If it helped, it wasn't enough. I take prilosec now, but I still definitely avoid my triggers as well.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    ssrgnt wrote: »
    I was just diagnosed with GERD and reflux esophagitis. I have never had stomach issues until I took Naproxen awhile back for my hip bursitis. I possibly have ulcers (still waiting for my biopsy results) as a result of taking that. Now the Dr wants me to take a proton pump inhibitor. But everything I read points to change in diet. Can I get rid of this heartburn naturally with just changing my diet? I'm a week into a new diet with no relief. I also can't find any success stories anywhere. Is this even possible? And tums, mylanta, pepto...none of that works for me. I have cut out all processed foods, soda, chocolate, mint, tomatoes, fatty foods, red meat and spicy foods. Thanks in advance.

Losing weight will help it, as will eating smaller meals more frequently. Perhaps the PPI would be a good thing as a temporary solution while your stomach heals.

I had bad reflux which caused stomach erosion and bleeding. The final result was severe anemia (hospitalization for 4 units of blood and 1 unit of IV iron). I started taking a PPI (prilosec) and also began losing weight. Within 6 months my stomach was healed and I was off the prilosec and I have not had a GERD incident since.
  • cbl40
    cbl40 Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    byustrongman is correct. I was on these for years and decided to wean myself off of them due to health risks. My husband is an MD and we discussed this. My primary care physician (who is not my husband) originally put me on PPI's and I found out about the risks on my own. Sometimes doctors don't mention risks unless you specifically ask. There are risks to everything. You have to weigh the pros and cons to everything. I am now on healthier alternatives. I was never overweight either. It's genetic in my family. Best of luck, OP. Hope you find some relief.
  • Treece68
    Treece68 Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    I have taken them every day since 2006 and 40mg since last year. Currently I cant get my prescription until tonight it has been 3 days of torture. No adverse effects ... so far.
  • jenifer7teen
    jenifer7teen Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    Carbonated water (I drank many cans a day) proved to be a major culprit of my flare ups with reflux....especially when combined with spicy food or a larger meal etc. Just thought id mention that becauae it took me awhile to figure out for myself... my reflux is infrequent but when it occurs it is debilitating painful. Best of luck!
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    Options
    Ive been off and on PPIS for years and no issues here either. once off them for awhile I ended up with gastritis. that is more painful than the GERD/indigestion itself. I had to take meds for my gastritis for 2 months(was supposed to be 4) but after 2 I was having side effects from the meds and it wasnt a PPI or HS blocker either. for some losing weight may help for me it doesnt matter if Im at a healthy weight or not. some days just water would trigger it.OP I would talk to your dr and see what the best route is. if you take a med and have a side effect they can switch you to something else. meds I was able to take years ago I can no longer tolerate and vice versa
  • Amy8Lyn
    Amy8Lyn Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I have found that a combo is going to work the best and give you the relief that you need. I have severe GERD, chronic gastritis and Barrett's, I am not being dramatic when I say I can't go without my PPI and ranitidine, it's been the other thing that's allowed me to eat and feel healthy each day. I have also eliminated or reduced a lot of the foods that can trigger flares. Even with this I still have flares, and some symptoms but it is so much better. I know that for certain people who take PPI's are not encouraged to take them long term but other than my GERD I am healthy, eat a plant based diet and ensure I get the right nutrition (as nutrient absorption can be slowed). I say listen to your doctor and at least give all options a try.
  • bbontheb
    bbontheb Posts: 718 Member
    Options
    You can also try a low fodmap diet. I know that it's for gastro issues but my severe reflux/gerd was reduced quite a bit when on a low fodmap diet. Lactose, wheat, etc contributes to it for me as well as the typical triggers like tomato sauce,

You may need the PPI to help heal for a couple months but there are some studies showing some risks for long term use (fractures, pernicious anemia, etc). All medications carry some risks. Talk to you Dr about balancing your needs and risks. You may only need to be on for a couple months and go down to Zantac or something similar. Or you may need to go on a different PPI if the first one isn't working enough. Tecta caused me stomach distress whereas Nexium helped a lot.

If you have gastritis now, be careful with nsaids and abx like flagyl (dental abcesses) etc. They can really irritate your stomach.

Oh and there are some risks to not getting treatment for gerd as well though(esophageal cancer). Find what works best for you. Sometimes it's a trial and error process to find the best plan for your health.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    Options
    bbontheb wrote: »
    You can also try a low fodmap diet. I know that it's for gastro issues but my severe reflux/gerd was reduced quite a bit when on a low fodmap diet. Lactose, wheat, etc contributes to it for me as well as the typical triggers like tomato sauce,

You may need the PPI to help heal for a couple months but there are some studies showing some risks for long term use (fractures, pernicious anemia, etc). All medications carry some risks. Talk to you Dr about balancing your needs and risks. You may only need to be on for a couple months and go down to Zantac or something similar. Or you may need to go on a different PPI if the first one isn't working enough. Tecta caused me stomach distress whereas Nexium helped a lot.

If you have gastritis now, be careful with nsaids and abx like flagyl (dental abcesses) etc. They can really irritate your stomach.

Oh and there are some risks to not getting treatment for gerd as well though(esophageal cancer). Find what works best for you. Sometimes it's a trial and error process to find the best plan for your health.

also if someone has gastritis they need to avoid caffeine, carbonated drinks,acidic and spicy foods as well.