Far below TDEE .. Not losing weight

Options

Replies

• rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    As others have said, the problem is most likely that you did not actually lose 20 lbs of fat in the first two weeks. You lost some fat, and mostly water, which gets flushed out of your digestive system when you stop eating as much, out of your circulatory system when you consume less sodium, and out of your muscles when you use up glycogen without replenishing it. These things happened suddenly when you made sudden changes, which is typical in any diet - many people lose several pounds of water weight in the first week. Then your body started to adjust to the new normal and the water weight came back. You are probably continuing to lose fat, it's just going to take a while for the number on the scale to catch up to the water weight.

Carry on, be patient, and best of luck to you.
  • daquix
    daquix Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    daquix wrote: »
    28 years old.
    6 foot tall.
    436 pounds.

Everything I eat is weighed with a food scale, down to the gram (except for pre-packaged, 1 serving foods).

Most TDEE calculators I've found have estimated me between 3,500 to 5,000 calculators per day TDEE.

For the past 7 days I have averaged 1,568 calories per day. For the past 14 days, I have averaged 1,355 calories per day.

That is 2,000 to 3,500 calories below TDEE.

Yet after losing my first 20 pounds, I haven't lost since.

Any ideas? Thoughts?

At what rate was the first 20 lbs? a month, a week,

Two weeks.

And a week since.

I just don't understand what my body is doing with that burned energy that is not turning into weight loss?

I mean, this physics right?

If I am eating less than I am burning, how is it possible NOT to lose weight?
    erickirb wrote: »
    so 20 lbs in 3 weeks that is an average of almost 7 lbs a week (or an average daily deficit of 3500), some of the initial loss was probably water that you gained back in the third week which is masking your "real" loss this week.

You will have to keep in mind that weight loss is not linear and that you will not be able to sustain a daily deficit of 3500 cals for long. I would suggest a deficit of 1000 to 1500/ day given how much you have to lose (1500/day would be an average of 3lb/week loss)

If you expect to continue losing at a rate of 10 pounds per week you're going to be disappointed, and if you succeed you're going to be very unhealthy along the way.

Fat losses can be nearly linear while "weight loss is never linear"

Water fluctuations due to activity or salts or protein can cause weight to go up, down, or sideways. With 200+ lbs to go, you've got some slack and flex as far as how quickly you come out of the gate, but remember it's a long haul and you're going to need to sustain it, and probably at some point 6 or 8 months down the line take a break to let your hormones reset.

Definitely don't expect 10 pounds per week.

But when I am 24,000 calories BELOW tdee, I would expect *something*. A pound maybe?

ya know?

Considering that you lost 20 pounds the previous 2 weeks, your body is going to react. and since you weigh 400+ lbs. 10 lbs as a swing is within what would be considered a normal daily range. At 240, 5-6 lbs is just normal fluctuations from salts/hydration/protein/carbs. at 400, that could be as much as 15 lbs.

Gotcha.

"Swings" refer to the water weight you keep, right?
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    28 years old.
    6 foot tall.
    436 pounds.

Everything I eat is weighed with a food scale, down to the gram (except for pre-packaged, 1 serving foods).

Most TDEE calculators I've found have estimated me between 3,500 to 5,000 calculators per day TDEE.

For the past 7 days I have averaged 1,568 calories per day. For the past 14 days, I have averaged 1,355 calories per day.

That is 2,000 to 3,500 calories below TDEE.

Yet after losing my first 20 pounds, I haven't lost since.

Any ideas? Thoughts?

At what rate was the first 20 lbs? a month, a week,

Two weeks.

And a week since.

I just don't understand what my body is doing with that burned energy that is not turning into weight loss?

I mean, this physics right?

If I am eating less than I am burning, how is it possible NOT to lose weight?
    erickirb wrote: »
    so 20 lbs in 3 weeks that is an average of almost 7 lbs a week (or an average daily deficit of 3500), some of the initial loss was probably water that you gained back in the third week which is masking your "real" loss this week.

You will have to keep in mind that weight loss is not linear and that you will not be able to sustain a daily deficit of 3500 cals for long. I would suggest a deficit of 1000 to 1500/ day given how much you have to lose (1500/day would be an average of 3lb/week loss)

If you expect to continue losing at a rate of 10 pounds per week you're going to be disappointed, and if you succeed you're going to be very unhealthy along the way.

Fat losses can be nearly linear while "weight loss is never linear"

Water fluctuations due to activity or salts or protein can cause weight to go up, down, or sideways. With 200+ lbs to go, you've got some slack and flex as far as how quickly you come out of the gate, but remember it's a long haul and you're going to need to sustain it, and probably at some point 6 or 8 months down the line take a break to let your hormones reset.

Definitely don't expect 10 pounds per week.

But when I am 24,000 calories BELOW tdee, I would expect *something*. A pound maybe?

ya know?

Considering that you lost 20 pounds the previous 2 weeks, your body is going to react. and since you weigh 400+ lbs. 10 lbs as a swing is within what would be considered a normal daily range. At 240, 5-6 lbs is just normal fluctuations from salts/hydration/protein/carbs. at 400, that could be as much as 15 lbs.

Gotcha.

"Swings" refer to the water weight you keep, right?

Yes, water weight, and the distribution of it. Muscular vs dietary vs fat vs blood volume
  • daquix
    Options
    As others have said, the problem is most likely that you did not actually lose 20 lbs of fat in the first two weeks. You lost some fat, and mostly water, which gets flushed out of your digestive system when you stop eating as much, out of your circulatory system when you consume less sodium, and out of your muscles when you use up glycogen without replenishing it. These things happened suddenly when you made sudden changes, which is typical in any diet - many people lose several pounds of water weight in the first week. Then your body started to adjust to the new normal and the water weight came back. You are probably continuing to lose fat, it's just going to take a while for the number on the scale to catch up to the water weight.

Carry on, be patient, and best of luck to you.

That does make sense.
  • Rhayemun
    Rhayemun Posts: 31 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    try2again wrote: »
    Please consider this post:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10569458/why-eating-too-little-calories-is-a-bad-idea/p1

A week of no weight loss is normal. While a larger person can support a rate of loss of more than 2 lbs a week, you are severely, and unnecessarily, undereating. Please reconsider. :)

I disagree with "severely, and unnecessarily, undereating." He is over 400 pounds. That is life threatening. The thread about "eating too little calories" - that doesn't really apply to someone who is this much over-weight.

Context.

It absolutely does!! It doesn't matter if you're 600, 400 or 200lbs starvation is NOT the answer. Proper nutrition and exercise is. A 500lb person can become very sick from malnutrition. Your organs can refuse to function. He's 6ft tall. He certainly should NOT be eating below 1600 calories a day and even then his calories need to be very rigid and focused to give his body what it needs. It's not all about macros. Fiber, vitamins and minerals are an important part of proper nutrition. The best way to give your body what it needs is to eat appropriately and with focus. Calorie King estimate 1900-2100 for a sedentary person with these stats.

http://www.calorieking.com/interactive-tools/how-many-calories-should-you-eat/?ref=nav

• try2again
    try2again Posts: 3,562 Member
    Options

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10569458/why-eating-too-little-calories-is-a-bad-idea/p1

A week of no weight loss is normal. While a larger person can support a rate of loss of more than 2 lbs a week, you are severely, and unnecessarily, undereating. Please reconsider. :)

I disagree with "severely, and unnecessarily, undereating." He is over 400 pounds. That is life threatening. The thread about "eating too little calories" - that doesn't really apply to someone who is this much over-weight.

Context.

Yes, his weight is life threatening. But he would still be losing at a hefty rate eating 2000 calories, and wouldn't be creating additional stress for himself in what is already a difficult process. Averaging 1355 *is* unnecessary and below the minimum level recommended for men. Unless he is being medically supervised, it's not wise.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options

Context.

Yes, his weight is life threatening. But he would still be losing at a hefty rate eating 2000 calories, and wouldn't be creating additional stress for himself in what is already a difficult process. Averaging 1355 *is* unnecessary and below the minimum level recommended for men. Unless he is being medically supervised, it's not wise.

And he's pushed his calories up to 1560+
  • daquix
    Options
    Really wish the body was more of a machine.

Predictable weight loss.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,944 Member
    Options

Context.

Well, there is a bit of miscommunication here.

My very first post in this thread said,
    How long is "since"?

There are many times in weight loss when there will be no losses for a while. It's totally normal. Get your calories back up to 1500-1600. Try to eat mostly lean protein, vegetables, oils/fats and whole grains. Keep doing the next right thing and it will work.

Patience, grasshopper.

1335, yes. Too low. 2000 calories would work, too.

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Really wish the body was more of a machine.

Predictable weight loss.

If you focus on individual weeks it won't be totally predictable, but I found it was most wonky at the very beginning (I was around 220 but only 5'3) and then near goal. After the first few weeks it got reasonably consistent.

You know what you are doing will lead to weight loss, so I'd say focus on the things you can control like hitting calories (the 1560 or higher is probably much better than cutting so low), moving, making sure you are putting together a sustainable diet, and not the scale fluctuations, although I know it's hard.
  • theledger5
    theledger5 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I can easily go 3 weeks in massive calorie deficit and not lose weight. You have to accept that sometimes this is normal. I used to panic and get extremely frustrated but have realised through time and patience that this is OK, after a few weeks boom the weight loss shows again.
  • mangofish44
    mangofish44 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I'll see very similar weight for a couple days then BAM big drop. Prob just the fluctuations. Keep it up bro. You are going to have another big drop in the next few days. Believe
  • Silentpadna
    Silentpadna Posts: 1,306 Member
    Options
    The process works. The scale is NOT a good indicator of progress in the short term. My motto for the day in several post responses has been: trust what you know works, not how you feel about a number. It is physics, but it's also thermodynamics and chemistry, and processes that work at varying speeds in a non-steady state system....on a system that is changing day by day (so you can't make it steady state or linear even if you wanted to).

If your sedentary TDEE is around 4000, which is what it looks like it should be based on the calcs I've run and several online calculators, you'll lose 2 pounds a week or more eating at least 2500-3000 calories a day....at least at the beginning and for a good while.

Don't do this in a hurry. You'll see better, more healthy results if you take the steady road. Accelerating the process with a bigger deficit doesn't make you lose fat much faster, it manifests itself by your body losing losing muscle and can give you other bigger problems.

• daquix
    edited July 2017
    Options
    ug70wx81mjha.png

This is a typical day.

Thoughts on my daily food?

Suggestions?
  • daquix
    Options
    6avoolfhbwe9.png

And here is a day where I went a little nuts (high in calories).
  • sllm1
    sllm1 Posts: 2,114 Member
    Options
    Notice your sodium on the "high in calories" day (which really isn't high for your size)...4500mg sodium will cause you to retain water and the scale will read higher (sometimes for several days).

Relax. Keep doing what you're doing. The scale will eventually catch up. It's just slow and sometimes stupid.

Patience.
  • daquix
    Options
    theledger5 wrote: »
    I can easily go 3 weeks in massive calorie deficit and not lose weight. You have to accept that sometimes this is normal. I used to panic and get extremely frustrated but have realised through time and patience that this is OK, after a few weeks boom the weight loss shows again.

The weight loss will show all at once for you?