Overcoming the Plateau Successfully

Options
auticus
auticus Posts: 1,051 Member
I posted here a couple days ago venting some frustration. My weight loss had stalled, and in fact had reversed itself on my weekly weigh in. The scale had reported that I had gained 2 lbs since the previous week. Of course, when you are in weight loss mode and you see something like that, it's kind of like someone punching you in the face.

I had a lot of good suggestions from this site as well as from my trainer. A little background:

I started myfitnesspal July 6th as a form of accountability. I've ridden the overweight roller coaster all of my adult life (I'm 34) and have tried every fad diet and plan that I can think of. I was once an athlete, was in the army, etc... etc... so I knew what needed done, I just didn't want to have to do it (diet & exercise)

So all of July I've been preparing for soccer conditioning by basically focusing soley on cardio. This was mistake #1. It worked great the first couple weeks, as can be attested by my graph... I dropped about five pounds in two weeks. After that the slow down came. Then the reversal.

It is fairly common knowledge, though knowledge that we try to reguarly defy, that a fit body is the product of proper nutrition and an exercise regime. Part of a good exercise regime is strength training, which I was purposely foregoing to focus on cardio.

Up until a couple days ago I was sitting on 1600 calories a day. I'm 6'2 and weigh around 228 lbs today. 1600 calories I think was a good starting point but should have only been temporary. My body began getting used to the cardio and shutting itself down, so even though I was eating 1600 calories a day and running 3-5 miles 5-6 times a week, I was not seeing anything on the scale.

The advice given by many people here and by my trainer was to up my calories and start hitting the gym and incorporating strength training into my exercise regime.

Up my calories? Doesn't that fly in the face of everything we know? Wouldn't that further decrease the deficit between calories in/calories-out? Well yes it does. But it's actually quite beneficial. Why? Because your body sees that there is regular fuel coming in and doesn't go into shut-down mode.

I added a 300 calorie protein shake to my diet which I consume after a weight lifting session, to help get building blocks into my system to help repair the damage done to my muscles.

The result of having added weight training (I train with weights 4x a week, and cycle different muscle sets with different days. Day 1 is chest and tricep exercises, aiming for 5 exercises at 3-4 reps each, Day 2 is legs and shoulders, and Day 3 is back and biceps) is that the weight has once again begun to peel off, even though my caloric intake has increased, and I've done less cardio.

I've still logged about 18 miles running this week, but in adding more food (the right food, you can't add IHop to your regular diet!) and working on strength, I am tuning my body to not only shed fat, but build the muscle underneath.

To note: strength training and a strong exercise regime in general REQUIRES a healthy dose of carbs. Do not be afraid of carbs, they are not the enemy. Consuming a lot of carbs and then not being active is the enemy. Carbs are your body's fuel. If you try to work out with little carbs in your body, your body will consume the lean muscle tissue for fuel which is exactly what you do not want.

I try to maintain a 40% protein, 40% carbs, 20% fat diet and it has worked great for me so long as I stay active and work out. And let's face it... if you want to see some results it takes more than fad dieting to achieve your goal, because fad dieting is not a lifestyle change. You may lose some weight but as soon as you go back to what you did before, it will come back (which is the roller coaster I've ridden all my adult life)

Good luck

Replies

• akaChuck
    akaChuck Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the post! Congrats on overcoming the frustration, you seem to be heading in the right direction :)
  • SusanMcAvoy
    SusanMcAvoy Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    Of course you know muscle weighs more than fat. You probably gained some muscle. I say add some more cario in the mix and you'll break the plateau. Good luck!
  • msmayor
    msmayor Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    This was a great post!!!! Funny I also believe that you must fuel your body in order for it too work correctly - there's many ppl on MFP who are only eating 1200 calories which is way too little - yeah you may lose in the beginning but then your body will shut down- there is a website I love fat2fitradio.com ( I love the podcast too) that explains this in much detail and when I plugged in my weight and goal on MFP it had me eating 1258 calories - so what I did I went to the fat2fit site and use the calculators there and enter my own numbers into mfp and I dont log in my exercise - I use the exercise note and runkeeper to keep track of my exercises - my daily intake of calories is almost 1800 and I workout 5-6 times a week (walking on the treadmill) burning about 300 -400 calories and I still feel as I lose weight this will need to be changed as my body changes...... you also mentioned something important strength training- that is what I need to incorporate that into my workout.....thanks for sharing this post and good luck on your weight loss....
  • auticus
    auticus Posts: 1,051 Member
    Options
    At the time of my minor setback I was doing little strength training so I don't think it was muscle.

My workout for the next 6 weeks is:

4 days strength training (30-45 min) followed by 30 min cardio
    2 days heavy cardio

I play soccer so those days of heavy cardio are typically practice or game days =)

Strength training is vital because it builds lean muscle mass which metabolizes on its own from existing. The more you have, the more calories you burn from just existing. Plus it looks a lot better! =)
  • melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    Congrats! I also overcame a plateau by upping my calories. In total I ended up adding 500 (!) calories to get to the point where I started losing again (I am 5'7" and plateaued with 15 pounds left to lose). It is scary to eat more when you don't want to gain but sometimes you have to make the leap of faith! I am glad MFP advice worked for you. Keep up the good work!
  • tjnd88
    tjnd88 Posts: 26
    Options
    Good info in this ! Thanks for posting it.
  • _GlaDOS_
    _GlaDOS_ Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    Thank you for sharing your story and your struggles… I am at the point now where I am just ready to give up. I too have been working out like crazy. I saw weight loss at first. Then none. Then I started doing more strength training, saw some weight loss. Now that I have gained muscle, it appears I have gained back some of what I lost, which is incredibly frustrating. But, I keep telling myself that even though I replaced fat with muscle and I am not losing the weight I want, I have still lost inches, and that is a good thing.

It’s even more tough when people are telling me that to lose weight I should be cutting down on carbs, regardless of where I’m getting them from, and regardless of my exercise routine. You’re telling me I should keep doing what I’m doing for the most part! If you can do it this way then I at least have to keep going and see what happens.

I have trouble increasing my calorie intake though. I burn a ton of calories working out and have my net calories set at 1350 (which I just increased yesterday from 1200 because I thought it might help), but I eat my exercise calories back, so I feel like I’m eating a lot already…