Eggs and cholesterol

unmitigatedbadassery
unmitigatedbadassery Posts: 653 Member
edited September 30 in Food and Nutrition
I love eggs. I have been eating them my whole life. That being said I am mildly concerned (but concerned enough to ask on here) about the cholesterol levels for eggs.

According to MFP my cholesterol intake should be right around 300. I noticed today, after eating two eggs for breakfast, that those two eggs make up over 480 for cholesterol. Now, I don't feel that 2 eggs is excessive for someone like me and many times I will have just whites. I usually have them poached so there is no extra fat or calories involved with them.

I have seen a doctor about my cholesterol. It was mildly elevated but it came down into normal levels again. It was higher because I was eating fried food like it was my job for a while which I no longer do.

I guess my question is: should I really be concerned about eating eggs as far as cholesterol is concerned. Like I said, I don't eat them every day - maybe twice a week - and two doesn't seem like I'm overeating. I just wanted some opinions. Thanks.

Replies

• luv2ash
    luv2ash Posts: 1,903 Member
    Have you considered Egg Beaters? They are awesome. Even my kids eat them. You can save a ton of calories, fat and cholesterol.
  • mikegohl
    mikegohl Posts: 68 Member
    Here is an interesting article about egg yolks:

http://www.cholesterol-and-health.com/Egg_Yolk.html

I eat two eggs every day.
  • lt_mrcook
    lt_mrcook Posts: 389 Member
    Dietary (what you eat) cholesterol has no affect on serum (blood levels) of cholesterol. However, eating processed carbs (white flour, white sugar, etc) will affect your triglycerides and LDL cholesterol. Eat your eggs (they are proven to help people lose and keep off weight) and cut out more of the processed carbs from your diet.
  • jaitken_22
    jaitken_22 Posts: 212 Member
    Does anyone know if egg beaters are available in the UK?
  • sabrinafaith
    sabrinafaith Posts: 607 Member
    I eat 2 poached eggs with toast maybe 3 times a week. I don't have high cholesterol and new studies say that eggs actually contain the good cholesterol and not the bad. I personally believe that if your family doesn't have a history of high cholesterol and you personally don't have high cholesterol, then it doesn't matter. Eggs are a great source of protein and if you enjoy eating them, then continue doing so.
  • joejccva71
    joejccva71 Posts: 2,985 Member
    Like the other poster said, eggs are fine. Dietary cholesterol doesn't not affect your blood serum cholesterol.
  • Although It_mrcook is correct, the cholesterol in what you eat has little affect on your blood. The cholesterol contained in eggs is HDL or "good cholesterol" not LDL or "bad cholesterol". So, even if it were to affect your blood it would be in a positive way.
  • unmitigatedbadassery
    unmitigatedbadassery Posts: 653 Member
    Good to know. Thank you all.
  • hbott
    hbott Posts: 1
    I too have a love affair with eggs. Fresh, local eggs, organic, or free range eggs tend to be much lower in cholesterol, and have lots of good stuff that mass produced eggs don't. They are a little more expensive, but sooo yummy :)
  • catwrangler
    catwrangler Posts: 918 Member

I have seen a doctor about my cholesterol. It was mildly elevated but it came down into normal levels again. It was higher because I was eating fried food like it was my job for a while which I no longer do.
    boy does that sound familiar! Same thing happened to me. Eggs are not the problem, it's the damned delicious fried foods!! I eat tons of eggs a week, I get them from my friend who has a chicken herd. They are huge and awesome and beautiful. Love eggs! Besides, twice a week is the recommended amount so don''t worry!
  • TiggerLady
    TiggerLady Posts: 5 Member
    There is increasing evidence that there is minimal link between blood cholesterol levels and dietary cholesterol intake.
    If you are genetically predisposed to high cholesterol, you can lower your cholesterol intake to zip and your body will happily make as much as it likes.

Bottom line, eat your eggs in moderation and don't worry about it.
  • brucedelaney
    brucedelaney Posts: 433 Member
    So it appears the basic thought process is to 'ignore' the cholesterol from eggs in our Macro Nutrients Tally?
  • DianaK78
    DianaK78 Posts: 55
    I too have a love affair with eggs. Fresh, local eggs, organic, or free range eggs tend to be much lower in cholesterol, and have lots of good stuff that mass produced eggs don't. They are a little more expensive, but sooo yummy :)

I agree with this post above. I eat one egg over easy and use coconut oil to fry it every day. I only buy Organic Cage Free eggs because they are the best. I've lost 44 lbs and counting and my cholesterol is normal :)
This discussion has been closed.