Seemed to have plateau'd/valleyed

Options
For some reason, I can't seem to drop below the 210lb mark. My exercise is the same, and though I'm not using the app as much as I should, I should be staying below my limit (unless eating below the minimum 1200-daily calorie limit is somehow stopping me from losing weight. This is frustrating because last year at my lowest I went down to like 195.

What am I doing wrong? I don't want to be chained to the app and forced to use it all my life, but if I have to, I will.

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Do you weigh everything you eat with scales?
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    You say you aren't using the app as much, so how do you know the amount of calories you are eating?

You don't have to be chained to the app forever. It's a really good idea to use it from time to time, like now, to ensure your calorie intake is what you think it is. Eating too many calories is actually a lot easier for some of us even when we think we are on track.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    You are likely eating more than you "think" you are, this is common. Use the app. Weigh all food. Eat at least 1500 calories plus no more than half your exercise calories. You don't have be chained to the app for the rest of your life. It is a tool to use to help you develop the skills to manage your weight as you desire. If you log for a few days and find that your calories are perfect, then you can log only a few days a month to check up on yourself. But you do have to weigh food and be honest with yourself about logging every bite and every drink for accuracy.

I logged food daily only for 3 months, but I was able to manage my portions well enough that I lost weight every month for 2 1/2 years. I also ate about 1700 calories most of that time. Every time I check up on myself, I am spot on with calories and macros. Not everyone can do that, but it worked out well for me.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    You're going to have to use the app to log your food, at least until you get a good idea of portion sizes.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Using accurate logging to lose weight right now isn't the same thing as being "chained" to the app for the rest of your life. I would say if you aren't logging consistently and you are no longer losing weight, those results are probably speaking for themselves.
  • DebLaBounty
    DebLaBounty Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    Maybe you should increase your exercise? I mean, if doing the same thing all the time isn't working, change it up.
  • Muscleflex79
    Muscleflex79 Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    tamaeus wrote: »
    For some reason, I can't seem to drop below the 210lb mark. My exercise is the same, and though I'm not using the app as much as I should, I should be staying below my limit (unless eating below the minimum 1200-daily calorie limit is somehow stopping me from losing weight. This is frustrating because last year at my lowest I went down to like 195.

What am I doing wrong? I don't want to be chained to the app and forced to use it all my life, but if I have to, I will.

what does "should be staying below my limit mean" ??? are you weighing everything you eat???
  • tamaeus
    tamaeus Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I don't weight my food, but I use the food to the best of my ability to guess the calories. Like if I have a cheeseburger from Wendy's, I know that that's about 500. What I eat for dinner I add to that.
  • Dnarules
    Dnarules Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    You don't know how much you are eating. That is where you need to start.
  • joinn68
    joinn68 Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    You are 210 lbs, you eat 1200 calories per day and you are not losing? Very skeptical. You are not off by 70/100 cals here. I don't know your stats (gender, height, age) but you are probably off by more like 1000 cals.

You had some issues a while back
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/comment/39107679#Comment_39107679

You should probably go back to the basics OP - Getting started on your path to sexy pants is particularly helpful
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10300331/most-helpful-posts-getting-started-must-reads#latest
  • Muscleflex79
    Muscleflex79 Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    why are you so opposed to accurately weighing your food??
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Options
    As you get lighter and fitter your burn from the same exercise will be much less.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    treacych wrote: »
    "My exercise is the same"

You're saying it in the title of your post - your body has reached a plateau. Your body is comfortable with your current food intake and exercise routine so it needs to be challenged again. Find a new workout program to follow, exercises to try, and find some new recipes that still fit your macros. Not eating enough could also be part of your problem as well. I'm probably stating the obvious here but when our body isn't getting enough fuel, it holds onto fat stores as a way of "protecting" itself. Maybe have a nutritionist re-evaluate your intake and make some suggestions.

Since she isn't logging her food, the problem is far more likely to be that she isn't in a deficit. It's far from "obvious" that our body will hold on to fat when we aren't eating enough. Although your body can adapt to a sustained calorie deficit by burning fewer calories, people in a deficit will lose weight. Your body can't run on nothing, that's why people who don't get enough to eat will eventually suffer from starvation.
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options
    treacych wrote: »
    "My exercise is the same"

You're saying it in the title of your post - your body has reached a plateau. Your body is comfortable with your current food intake and exercise routine so it needs to be challenged again. Find a new workout program to follow, exercises to try, and find some new recipes that still fit your macros. Not eating enough could also be part of your problem as well. I'm probably stating the obvious here but when our body isn't getting enough fuel, it holds onto fat stores as a way of "protecting" itself. Maybe have a nutritionist re-evaluate your intake and make some suggestions.

The body won't hold onto fat stores when someone doesn't eat enough. If it did, no one would die from starvation.